Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Recommended Posts

Posted

I don't know if this will get lost in the "move"

The last phrase of the familiar Lord's prayer is missing in newer versions. Some have used that example for dismissing those versions. But I know that there is usually a reason for omitting something.

It seems to me the last phrase "for Thine is the Kingdom, the power and the glory" must not have been in the original. But I am wondering if anybody knows if or why it was added and when. I had a class in translations many years ago and this one was not discussed.

I am hoping someone has information about this. That phrase is also missing in the Luke 11 account.

Posted

Hi Ellen, unfortunately, I no longer have my edition of the critical text. However, I do recall that it is not in the earlier manuscripts. Interesting how later 'scribes' added verses to the text, in order to counter whatever heresy was active at the time they did their work. Of course, the preferred text today is Nestle-Aland, which relies heavily on Sinaiticus and Vaticanus. Is that the final answer? Hmmmmm. I wish I had the tools I used to have. Your best authoritative source is John317, who is a member of C/A and frequently posts on this forum. I encourage you to inquire of him.

Dave

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...