Woody Posted February 23, 2007 Posted February 23, 2007 Personally I have not seen a lot of success with following the instructions as outlined in Matthew 18. Now ... I know that many of you will testify that it has worked. And I would like to hear from you as to how and why this worked. But what I would discourage is to turn this thread into a debate as to whether it works or not. I am sure it has worked for some and not worked for others. But, I want to know what has caused the negative or positive experience. I would like to better understand what you personally feel is the scope and purpose of Matt. 18 I understand that some people believe that Matt.18 is meant as a replacement of the civil courts. If we as Christians could solve our legal problems IN the church rather than outside the Church then we would be blessed. OR are there problems with this approach. Also ... Are we to use Matt.18 as a way to solve spiritual problems that we a church and body of believers have with each others. There will be hurt feelings in a gathering of believers. Are we to resolve these problems through Matt.18? If we see "sin" in the church or its members ... are we to address these problems through what is outlined in Matt.18? If we are to address "issues" that we see in the church ... how does Matt.18 help? What makes it work or not work? Like I say ... When I have personally used Matt.18 ... I have not seen results. I have noticed that most and I include Pastors and leaders in this ... Most are NOT interested in following this procedure to the end. Yes ... they do talk about it and tell us to follow the procedure ... but in the end I find that not one is really willing to go through the procedure when things get tough. If you have ideas or different experiences ... I would love to hear from you. I especially would like to know what has WORKED in your personal experience. In the end I want to find a way to do this in LOVE. I want to find a way to Lovingly find a solution to our disagreements. Is it possible for a person to experience LOVE and resolution through Matt.18? I have to think that since it is in the Bible that there MUST be a way to make it work. Please help me find a way. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Administrators Gail Posted February 23, 2007 Administrators Posted February 23, 2007 Why are you not getting results? Patience with others goes a long way, other than that and prayer for guidance I don't know what else to offer Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Woody Posted February 23, 2007 Author Posted February 23, 2007 Gail ... I wish I knew why I have not seen this work in the churches I have been. This is why I am posting this and hoping that others can give me some wisdom. Personally I have seen members very resistant to following Matt.18 Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
there buster Posted February 24, 2007 Posted February 24, 2007 My question is: How do you define success? Quote “the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell
Moderators Gerr Posted February 24, 2007 Moderators Posted February 24, 2007 Did Jesus guarantee that it will work 100%? Even He could not prevent Judas from turning against Him! If we don't follow Mt. 18, what is your alternative? Gerry Quote
there buster Posted February 24, 2007 Posted February 24, 2007 Mother Theresa said it, and I have found it to be true in most situations: Our goal is not success, but faithfulness. Quote “the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell
David Koot Posted February 24, 2007 Posted February 24, 2007 Mother Theresa said it, and I have found it to be true in most situations: Our goal is not success, but faithfulness. True indeed! And, I would say, faithfulness IS success! Quote
there buster Posted February 24, 2007 Posted February 24, 2007 I understand why you would say that, but I must disagree, and insist that the distinction is an important one. Because there are many times when faithfulness appears to be a disastrous failure. Quote “the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell
olger Posted February 24, 2007 Posted February 24, 2007 I have seen it work and participated in such. onward & upward, olger Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
David Koot Posted February 24, 2007 Posted February 24, 2007 there are many times when faithfulness appears to be a disastrous failure. True. What I meant is that by staying faithful, one has succeeded in a larger sense, regardless of the immediate outcome. Quote
Woody Posted February 24, 2007 Author Posted February 24, 2007 I have seen it work and participated in such. onward & upward, olger Thank you Olger. Would you be willing to tell us about the process and the result? I am interested in how far in the process it had to go. What I find is that unless it is quick and harmless that it doesn't happen. In other words ... it usually will stop at an early stage. If the early stages do not work then it will not even go beyond that. Why is this? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.