Woody Posted March 6, 2007 Posted March 6, 2007 This should be good motivation to get our kids to clean their rooms ... “Special directions were given to the armies of the children of Israel that in and around their tents everything should be clean and orderly lest the angel of God should pass through their encampment and see their uncleanness. Would the Lord be particular to notice these things? He would; for the fact is stated, lest in viewing their uncleanness He could not go forth with their armies to battle against their enemies. In like manner all our actions are noticed by God. That God who was so particular that the children of Israel should grow up with habits of cleanliness will not sanction any impurity in the home today.” 6T 170 Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
bevin Posted March 7, 2007 Posted March 7, 2007 I wonder how many 2007AD SDA believe this. /Bevin Quote
Taylor Posted March 7, 2007 Posted March 7, 2007 Bevin if you had the chance to spend time with equally nice people in a clean home versus a dirty cluttered home, which would you choose? I see it is a fact....we (even angels and God apparently) prefer to be in the company of order and neatness and wish to have it cultivated in people. Quote
Taylor Posted March 7, 2007 Posted March 7, 2007 It is also true that behavior tends to change some with enviornment. I believe it was AT&T that did a study a few years ago where they had their telephone operators/office staff etc...start wearing dressier clothes...such a guys having to wear ties, and nice docker type pants. Women were to dress professionally (not necesarily in a suit or a dress but professional). Their production went way up because they had more self respect and treated each other with more respect. So there is some evidence that we adapt our attitudes to our enviornment, hence I suspect it is just plain good sense to live lives in a neat and orderly enviornment. Quote
Woody Posted March 7, 2007 Author Posted March 7, 2007 I wonder how many 2007AD SDA believe this. /Bevin Bevin ... Conservative SDAs believe everything Ellen White says. But they believe their interpretation of what she says. For instance if we apply their rules of interpretation ... We would read this as pertaining to the specific time when it was written. It does not mean that the time and conditions of our planet right now ... that this need for cleanliness is required. If you read the post about Checkers ... this is the way we interpret Ellen White. I call it the Checkers rule. What was good for Ellen Whites time ... is not necessarily good for our time.Times change. Checkers were bad for Ellen Whites time but not for our time. Do you get the theory? Back in Ellen Whites time God and the angels would not stop by your house if it was not clean. Today God would linger but might not stay a long time. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Taylor Posted March 7, 2007 Posted March 7, 2007 Having said all that above, however, I do not believe God rejects people because of their race, their age, their religion or their cleanliness. I think he loves all of us. However, I do think he would encourage us to be cleanly and organized. Quote
Woody Posted March 7, 2007 Author Posted March 7, 2007 The quote from Ellen White states that God will not go to battle for us if we are not clean. This is how I am reading it. If I am reading this wrong ... then maybe someone could point out my error. I hope you can. Because this looks real bad to me. Quote: lest in viewing their uncleanness He could not go forth with their armies to battle against their enemies. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Taylor Posted March 7, 2007 Posted March 7, 2007 I'd love to go look at it in context. I admitt I dno't like the way it reads either. Is this just uncleanliness of say their house or their hearts...like having an unclean heart i.e. being in rebellion to God? I haven't read it completely. I can see why the quote at face value would bother you. Quote
Woody Posted March 7, 2007 Author Posted March 7, 2007 Taylor ... This is a good point. If they are in rebellion than that would be a different issue. But I think she would have made it more clear if that was her intention. She states ... Quote: in and around their tents everything should be clean and orderly I don't see here that she is talking about anything other than cleanliness. In and around their TENTS ... all should be clean and orderly. And ... Quote: Israel should grow up with habits of cleanliness will not sanction any impurity in the home today. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators John317 Posted March 7, 2007 Moderators Posted March 7, 2007 I wonder how many 2007 SDAs believe 2 Kings 1: 1-15. I do. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Woody Posted March 7, 2007 Author Posted March 7, 2007 I wonder how many 2007 SDAs believe 2 Kings 1: 1-15. I do. John317 ... Perhaps 2 Kings would be a good topic on a new thread. Here we are talking about Cleaning up you room as presented by Ellen White in 6T 170 . Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Taylor Posted March 7, 2007 Posted March 7, 2007 I think his point is simply that there are things in the Bible that are "odd" or "hard to swallow" or "apparently strange" but we accept them more readily because they are in the Bible. But then again, I am not John3:16 so perhaps I shouldn't be putting words in his mouth. Taylor ducks out of the thread...but promises to be back soon. :) Quote
Woody Posted March 7, 2007 Author Posted March 7, 2007 Some equate Ellen White with the Bible ... I do not. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Taylor Posted March 7, 2007 Posted March 7, 2007 Completely agreed! I don't equate them either. I was just trying to make a point that there are uncomfortable or strange things in both EGW's writings and the Bible. But no, they are not on the same plane. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.