Lineman Posted November 1, 2008 Posted November 1, 2008 :bible: Where should our focus be right now, as a church? Quote Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL ! (Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
Lineman Posted November 1, 2008 Author Posted November 1, 2008 I have read that it should be the Second Coming of Jesus. I have read that it should be God's Character. I have read that it should be Revelation and the end times. What should it be? Quote Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL ! (Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
Moderators John317 Posted November 1, 2008 Moderators Posted November 1, 2008 Actually I see the Last Day Events, the Second Coming, the Investigative Judgment and the Three Angels Messages as all interconnected. I don't know how to separate them cleanly. And of course, the truth is that if we really study those things, we will also be studying the character of God. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
olger Posted November 1, 2008 Posted November 1, 2008 The most important issue is the surrender of self to the Lamb of God. Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Woody Posted November 1, 2008 Posted November 1, 2008 Accepting Jesus and what He DID. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
olger Posted November 1, 2008 Posted November 1, 2008 The future is just as important as the past. Where are we going? Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Woody Posted November 1, 2008 Posted November 1, 2008 If we accept Jesus and what He Did ... We know where we are going. Don't need to worry about it. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted November 1, 2008 Members Posted November 1, 2008 If we accept Jesus and what He Did ... We know where we are going. Don't need to worry about it. And that means, while I can remember my past and use it as a testimony for Jesus, what I really need to do is accept Jesus and remember every day what He did for me. :smile: p.s. and continues to do for me Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted November 1, 2008 Posted November 1, 2008 Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Lineman Posted November 1, 2008 Author Posted November 1, 2008 Originally Posted By: Redwood If we accept Jesus and what He Did ... We know where we are going. Don't need to worry about it. And that means, while I can remember my past and use it as a testimony for Jesus, what I really need to do is accept Jesus and remember every day what He did for me. :smile: p.s. and continues to do for me How would I know where I am going if no one ever showed me from the Bible? Isn't the future as important as the past? What was done in the past was so that we will have a future, but not everyone know either the past or the future. Quote Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL ! (Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
Woody Posted November 1, 2008 Posted November 1, 2008 Quote: How would I know where I am going if no one ever showed me from the Bible? Isn't the future as important as the past? What was done in the past was so that we will have a future, but not everyone know either the past or the future. Not sure what your point here is. Many have the assurance of where we are going ... even without a Bible. Not everyone who is saved ... will have had the opportunity to read and study the Bible. Pray to God that He will give to you the promise of salvation. And then ... listen and study. Personally ... I know my future. God has spoken to me. And I listened. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators Gerr Posted November 2, 2008 Moderators Posted November 2, 2008 I have read that it should be the Second Coming of Jesus. I have read that it should be God's Character. I have read that it should be Revelation and the end times. What should it be? My relationship with God. Is my name written there? Are my sins all forgiven? If my relationship with God is where it should, all the rest are taken care of. Gerry Quote
Woody Posted November 2, 2008 Posted November 2, 2008 My relationship with God. Is my name written there? Are my sins all forgiven? If my relationship with God is where it should, all the rest are taken care of. Gerry My relationship with God. ALL who have ever given their hearts to God have a relationship with God. The amount of growth is not the determining factor for Salvation. The important thing is ... do we accept His Robe of Righteousness to cover our sin. Is my name written there? All who have ever given their hearts to Jesus ... have their names written there. And in your entire lifetime ... God doesn't have an eraser. You can bank on that. Are my sins all forgiven? If you want them to be they are. If my relationship with God is where it should, all the rest are taken care of. If you have given your heart to God ... your relationship is where it should be. But as far as fruits ... it will not be this side of Heaven. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Lineman Posted November 2, 2008 Author Posted November 2, 2008 Quote: How would I know where I am going if no one ever showed me from the Bible? Isn't the future as important as the past? What was done in the past was so that we will have a future, but not everyone know either the past or the future. Not sure what your point here is. Many have the assurance of where we are going ... even without a Bible. Not everyone who is saved ... will have had the opportunity to read and study the Bible. Pray to God that He will give to you the promise of salvation. And then ... listen and study. Personally ... I know my future. God has spoken to me. And I listened. Nice post, just want to make my point clear though. Redwood, you had said, "If we accept Jesus and what He Did ... We know where we are going. Don't need to worry about it." I totally agree, but what I was trying to say is that there are some people who have never heard of Jesus, some who know nothing about eternal life in heaven and they believe that what they see here in this world is all that there is. They do not know where we are going, that's all I was trying to say. I have been given the promise of salvation and I accepted it already, thanks. The question was though, what is the most important thing we as SDA Christians should be doing right now? What should we be talking about when we talk with others? Shouldn't that be determined by knowing who we are talking to? For example, if I am talking to a person who already knows about the gift of salvation, but has the wrong idea of Jesus' Second Coming shouldn't I be talking about that with them? Or using another example, if I am talking with a person who does not know Jesus, then the most important thing I should talk with them about would be about who He is, what He has done for them and why. The problem I have is that people from all backgrounds come and visit the Bible Timelines Online website. What should be my main focus on this site? It seems to me that God's love should be the focus. This includes what Jesus did 2,000 years ago on the cross, but it also includes what He is about to do. I don't talk much about diet or exercise. Not much is said about what you should listen to or read, etc. Am I missing something? ( I will check back tomorrow, but I'm listening. ) Quote Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL ! (Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
Woody Posted November 2, 2008 Posted November 2, 2008 Quote: For example, if I am talking to a person who already knows about the gift of salvation, but has the wrong idea of Jesus' Second Coming shouldn't I be talking about that with them? If they ask .... I am sure that it would be good to share your interpretation. But I don't think this changes their saved status. IOWs I would rather focus my attention on those who do not know God and who are not saved. Knowledge is fine and dandy. But the Holy Spirit will guide them at the appropriate pace and subject. So, to force the discussion on the second coming might not be appropriate at that particular time. Do you see my point? If they ask I would carefully and slowly and prayerfully procede. I would be sensitive to their response and receptiveness. Force feeding never works and is counter-productive. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Lineman Posted November 2, 2008 Author Posted November 2, 2008 Quote: For example, if I am talking to a person who already knows about the gift of salvation, but has the wrong idea of Jesus' Second Coming shouldn't I be talking about that with them? If they ask .... I am sure that it would be good to share your interpretation. But I don't think this changes their saved status. IOWs I would rather focus my attention on those who do not know God and who are not saved. Knowledge is fine and dandy. But the Holy Spirit will guide them at the appropriate pace and subject. So, to force the discussion on the second coming might not be appropriate at that particular time. Do you see my point? If they ask I would carefully and slowly and prayerfully procede. I would be sensitive to their response and receptiveness. Force feeding never works and is counter-productive. I do understand your point and I totally agree, thanks. I think your point about not "force feeding" is very important and is one reason I feel this timelines site may work well. It lets people go where the Spirit leads them, searching for what is of interest at the time. The information about the 2nd Coming is there, as is the information about who Jesus is and why He came down here. It is up to the individual (All of us are being lead by the Holy Spirit, unless we totally resist Him.) as to what topic he/she wants to look at. Years ago I had a pastor in Austraila say this in a little different way. He said that people learn best when they can learn what they want to learn, when they are ready (or something along those lines). That is one reason I don't like using lesson guides, but with this Last Day Events topic it seems that the information needs to be presented in a specific order (for the most part). I do like the way Batchlor's team put these lessons together though. They are kind of like just a list of facts, letting the individual come to their own conclusions. Thanks for you comment about where the focus should be ("those who do not know God"). I will try to keep that in mind. Blessings, d Quote Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL ! (Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
Moderators Gerr Posted November 2, 2008 Moderators Posted November 2, 2008 Quote: My relationship with God. ALL who have ever given their hearts to God have a relationship with God. The amount of growth is not the determining factor for Salvation. The important thing is ... do we accept His Robe of Righteousness to cover our sin. "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." Mt 7:21 ESV "A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work today in myt vineyard. He answered and said, I will not; but afterward he repented, and went. And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir; and went not. Whether of them twin did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first." .....The test of sincerity is not in words, but deeds. Christ does not say to any man, What say ye more than others? but, "What do ye more than others?" Mt 5:47. Full of meaning are His words, "If ye kno these things, happy are ye if ye do them." Jn 13:17. Words are of no value unless they are accompanied with appropriate deeds. This is the lesson taught in the parable of the two sons." COL 272. "Those who claim modern sanctification would have come boastingly forward, saying, 'Lord, Lord, do you not know us? Have we not prophesied in thy name? And in Thy name cast out devils?And in Thy name done many wonderful works?' The people here described, who make these pretentious claims, apparently weaving Jesus into all their doings, fitly represent those who claim modern sanctification, but who are at war with the law of God. Christ calls them workers of iniquity, because they are deceivers, having on the garments of righteousness to hide the deformity of their characters, the inward wickedness of their unholy hearts. Satan has come down to work with all deceivableness of unrighteousness of them that perish.....The sheep's clothing is so real, so genuine, that the wolf cannot be discerned as we go to God's great moral standard and there find that they are transgressors of the law of Jehovah." 5 BC 1087 Gerry Quote
Moderators Gerr Posted November 2, 2008 Moderators Posted November 2, 2008 Quote: Is my name written there? All who have ever given their hearts to Jesus ... have their names written there. And in your entire lifetime ... God doesn't have an eraser. You can bank on that. Does God not have an eraser? [color:red] "Beware lest there be among you a man or woman or clan or tribe whose heart is turning away today from the LORD our God to go and serve the gods of those nations. Beware lest there be among you a root bearing poisonous and bitter fruit, one who, when he hears the words of this sworn covenant, blesses himself in his heart, saying, 'I shall be safe, though I walk in the stubbornness of my heart.' This will lead to the sweeping away of moist and dry alike. The LORD will not be willing to forgive him, but rather the anger of the LORD and his jealousy will smoke against that man, and the curses written in this book will settle upon him, and the LORD WILL BLOT OUT HIS NAME from under heaven." Dt 29:18-20 ESV "The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot out his name out of the book of life." Rev 3:5 "But the LORD said to Moses, 'Whoever has sinned against me, I will blot out of my book. Ex 32:33 ESV "As the books of record are opened in the judgment, the lives of all who have believed in Jesus come on review before God. Beginning with those who first lived upon the earth, our Advocate presents the cases of each successive generation and closes with the living. Every name is mentioned, every case closely investigated. Names are accepted, names are rejected. When any have sins in the book of record unrepented of and unforgiven, their names will be blotted out of the book of life..." GC 483 Quote: Are my sins all forgiven? If you want them to be they are. [color:red]"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to CLEANSE us from ALL unrighteousness." 1 Jn 1:9 ESV "Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but be who confesses and FORSAKES them will obtain mercy. Prov 28:13 ESV "If one turns away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer is an abomination. Prov 28:9 ESV Praise the LORD! Gerry Quote
Moderators Gerr Posted November 2, 2008 Moderators Posted November 2, 2008 Quote: If my relationship with God is where it should, all the rest are taken care of. If you have given your heart to God ... your relationship is where it should be. But as far as fruits ... it will not be this side of Heaven. "But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen" 2 Pe 3:18 ESV "His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. For this very reason, make EVERY EFFORT to SUPPLEMENT your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are INCREASING, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For WHOEVER LACKS THESE QUALITIES IS SO NEARSIGHTED THAT HE IS BLIND, HAVING FORGOTTEN THAT HE WAS CLEANSED FROM HIS FORMER SINS. Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to make your calling and election SURE, for if you PRACTICE these qualities you will never fall. 2 Pe 1:3-10 ESV Gerry Quote
olger Posted November 3, 2008 Posted November 3, 2008 If we accept Jesus and what He Did ... We know where we are going. Don't need to worry about it. Can a person forfeit their salvation? Thanks, oG Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
BobRyan Posted November 3, 2008 Posted November 3, 2008 #1. Most important issue -- IS THE BIBLE REALLY TRUE? (true as in inspired directly by God resulting in a trustworthy and reliable account of actual events and statements in history) Is evolutionism true - or is Christianity true? #2. Can the Bible be edited deleted or downsized. (as in -- ignore O.T just believe in N.T.) #3. According to the bible - Who is Christ - what did He do to save mankind? #4. According to the Bible - Can God's Law be edited, deleted or downsized for the Christian today? #5. According to the Bible - what must we do to be ready for the 2nd coming? (notice that once we discover that the Bible is reliable -- then the next questions can be prefaced with "according to the Bible") in Christ, Bob Quote John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.
BobRyan Posted November 3, 2008 Posted November 3, 2008 Originally Posted By: Redwood If we accept Jesus and what He Did ... We know where we are going. Don't need to worry about it. Can a person forfeit their salvation? Thanks, oG Yes - Matt 18 gives an example of "forgiveness revoked". Yes - Rom 11 gives the example for all "YOU stand only by your faith... you should fear.. if He did not spare them neither will He spare you". Yes - Gal 5 regarding those who "have fallen from Grace.. and have been SEVERED from Christ". Yes - John 15 regarding "branches IN ME" that are taken away wither die and are then burned up. Hence the Bible doctrine on "Perseverance of the Saints" in Christ, Bob Quote John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.
Lineman Posted November 9, 2008 Author Posted November 9, 2008 #1. Most important issue -- IS THE BIBLE REALLY TRUE? (true as in inspired directly by God resulting in a trustworthy and reliable account of actual events and statements in history) Is evolutionism true - or is Christianity true? #2. Can the Bible be edited deleted or downsized. (as in -- ignore O.T just believe in N.T.) #3. According to the bible - Who is Christ - what did He do to save mankind? #4. According to the Bible - Can God's Law be edited, deleted or downsized for the Christian today? #5. According to the Bible - what must we do to be ready for the 2nd coming? (notice that once we discover that the Bible is reliable -- then the next questions can be prefaced with "according to the Bible") in Christ, Bob Nice post Bob! I would have to totally agree with " #1. Most important issue -- IS THE BIBLE REALLY TRUE? " Years ago I realized that I could not even prove to myself or anyone else that there was even a God who love us if I could not first prove the Bible to be true. Once the Bible's trustworthyness was established there was lots to discover about who He was, what He did, what He is doing now and what He is going to do and when. Please follow these links for more on this issue: Is there a real God? Check out the first question on this page. Quote Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL ! (Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
Woody Posted November 9, 2008 Posted November 9, 2008 Good research Gerry. As I stated ... the blotting out or erasing is done at the judgment ... not during your lifetime. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted November 9, 2008 Posted November 9, 2008 Originally Posted By: Redwood If we accept Jesus and what He Did ... We know where we are going. Don't need to worry about it. Can a person forfeit their salvation? Thanks, oG Thanks Olger. Perhaps you would like to start a new thread so that you might get a better and more fuller answer to your question. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.