Jump to content
ClubAdventist

What is the most important issue for Christians today?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Most important issue for Christians today is: Turning the hearts of the fathers to their children.

5 "See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and dreadful day of the LORD comes. 6 He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers; or else I will come and strike the land with a curse."

Nothing else comes close.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

  • Moderators
Posted

Good research Gerry. As I stated ... the blotting out or erasing is done at the judgment ... not during your lifetime.

This blotting out or erasing will done during the lifetime of many people living on the earth before Christ returns. We are living today during the day of atonement, which precedes the Second Coming of Christ.

Quote:
Counsels for the Church (1991), page 348, paragraph 1

Chapter Title: Chapter 64 - Christ Our Great High Priest

The blood of Christ, while it was to release the repentant sinner from the condemnation of the law, was not to cancel the sin; it would stand on record in the sanctuary until the final atonement; so in the type the blood of the sin offering removed the sin from the penitent, but it rested in the sanctuary until the day of atonement.

We are now living in the great day of atonement. In the typical service, while the high priest was making the atonement for Israel, all were required to afflict their souls by repentance of sin and humiliation before the Lord, lest they be cut off from among the people. In like manner, all who would have their names retained in the book of life should now, in the few remaining days of their probation, afflict their souls before God by sorrow for sin and true repentance. There must be deep, faithful searching of heart. The light, frivolous spirit indulged by so many professed Christians must be put away. There is earnest warfare before all who would subdue the evil tendencies that strive for the mastery. The work of preparation is an individual work. We are not saved in groups. The purity and devotion of one will not offset the want of these qualities in another. Though all nations are to pass in judgment before God, yet He will examine the case of each individual with as close and searching scrutiny as if there were not another being upon the earth. Everyone must be tested and found without spot or wrinkle or any such thing.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Posted

He will examine the case of each individual with as close and searching scrutiny as if there were not another being upon the earth. Everyone must be tested and found without spot or wrinkle or any such thing.

Good luck John! In fact you'll need more than luck, you'll need a miracle. Only "in Christ" will you be found without spot or wrinkle. Maybe Ellen forgot this part?

Col 1:22 yet now hath He [Jesus] reconciled in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and without blemish and unreproveable before him [God]: 23 if so be that ye continue in [the keeping of the law? No,] if you continue in the faith!

Ellen, Ellen, Ellen...what are you doing? Why the confusion? I mean you've got John totally side-tracked into this perfectionism. Why do you do this?

That's why I go to my Bible!!!

Posted

Col 1:22 yet now hath He [Jesus] reconciled in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and without blemish and unreproveable before him [God]: 23 if so be that ye continue in [the keeping of the law? No,] if you continue in the faith!

Let me give you an even better translation:

He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body [i.e., "in Christ"] through death [see Romans 5:10], in order to present you before Him [God] holy and blameless and beyond reproach-- 23 if indeed you continue in the faith....

  • Moderators
Posted

Originally Posted By: John317
He will examine the case of each individual with as close and searching scrutiny as if there were not another being upon the earth. Everyone must be tested and found without spot or wrinkle or any such thing.

Good luck John! In fact you'll need more than luck, you'll need a miracle. Only "in Christ" will you be found without spot or wrinkle. Maybe Ellen forgot this part?

.... Ellen, Ellen, Ellen...what are you doing? Why the confusion? I mean you've got John totally side-tracked into this perfectionism. Why do you do this?

That's why I go to my Bible!!!

The Bible teaches the same thing. The Investigative Judgment is in the Bible also.

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Posted

#1. Most important issue -- IS THE BIBLE REALLY TRUE? (true as in inspired directly by God resulting in a trustworthy and reliable account of actual events and statements in history)

Is evolutionism true - or is Christianity true?

#2. Can the Bible be edited deleted or downsized. (as in -- ignore O.T just believe in N.T.)

#3. According to the bible - Who is Christ - what did He do to save mankind?

#4. According to the Bible - Can God's Law be edited, deleted or downsized for the Christian today?

#5. According to the Bible - what must we do to be ready for the 2nd coming?

(notice that once we discover that the Bible is reliable -- then the next questions can be prefaced with "according to the Bible")

in Christ,

Bob

Thanks again Bob for such a thoughtful comment. I know that I wrote some of this before, but wanted you to know that I very much agree. If the Bible is not true then nothing else matters.

I would like to submit one "item" as #2 and move all the others down though. It seems that once we come to realize that the Bible is true then we have to also realize that there is a God. So I would say:

#2. According to the Bible - God is real. So, what is He like? Who is He?

I put these questions to myself several years ago too, but I used this basic order:

1) How do I know that there is a real God? (Answer: The Bible tells me that He is real.)

2) How do I know that the Bible is real? How do I know that it is what it claims to be? (Answer: Fulfillment of Bible prophecy proves it.)

3) How do I know that someone has not changed the way our Bible reads so that it seems to be predicting things that have come true when it was actually rewritten after the fact? (Answer: The Dead Sea Scrolls, found in 1948-1949, are basicly a "Time Capsule" proving that nothing was changed in the last 2,000+ years.)

4) Knowing all this means what? What is my responsibility now that I am convinced of all this?

I find it so AWESOME to know that the Bible is true and that God is REAL. hifive

So do you believe that this is where our focus should be as a church? (There are an aweful lot of churches that are teaching, and therefore a great number of people hearing, that not everything in our Bible's are true.)

Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL !

(Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
 

  • Moderators
Posted

I put these questions to myself several years ago too, but I used this basic order:

1) How do I know that there is a real God? (Answer: The Bible tells me that He is real.)

2) How do I know that the Bible is real? How do I know that it is what it claims to be? (Answer: Fulfillment of Bible prophecy proves it.)

3) How do I know that someone has not changed the way our Bible reads so that it seems to be predicting things that have come true when it was actually rewritten after the fact? (Answer: The Dead Sea Scrolls, found in 1948-1949, are basicly a "Time Capsule" proving that nothing was changed in the last 2,000+ years.)

4) Knowing all this means what? What is my responsibility now that I am convinced of all this?

I find it so AWESOME to know that the Bible is true and that God is REAL. Amazing!

hifive

Am in complete agreement with you.

I'd be interested in knowing which Bible prophecies you find the most persuasive in terms of proving the Bible to be dependable and true.

What are the top 5 or so?

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Posted

Basicly all of them have to come true, otherwise He does not know what He is talking about. Right now, every prediction that was to have already happened has, which tells me that what is predicted as yet to come will happen.

Not sure there are any that are more important than another really, but the big one found in Daniel 2 could maybe be seen as extremely important if we want to really know what is coming yet. (A person could take a look at the basics of this prophecy on the Daniel 2 Timeline and read more here http://www.bibletimelines.org/pk40.html .)

Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL !

(Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
 

  • Moderators
Posted

I love studying Bible prophecies as well as the prophecies of the Spirit of prophecy.

Herbert Douglass wrote a very good book fairly recently about the prophecies found in Ellen White's writings.

The prophecies of the Bible that I find most convincing are:

1) Daniel 2, 7, 8, 9, 11

2) Ezekiel 26: 1-5 (regarding Tyre)

3) Deut. 28 (regarding Israel)

4) Obadiah (regarding Edomites)

5) Matt. 24: 14

6) Rev. 13

7) Prophecies regarding Egypt and Babylon

John 3:16-17

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Posted

Quote:
The prophecies of the Bible that I find most convincing are:

1) Daniel 2, 7, 8, 9, 11

2) Ezekiel 26: 1-5 (regarding Tyre)

3) Deut. 28 (regarding Israel)

4) Obadiah (regarding Edomites)

5) Matt. 24: 14

6) Rev. 13

7) Prophecies regarding Egypt and Babylon

John, what do you mean by "most convincing"?

Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL !

(Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...