Stan Posted January 25, 2009 Posted January 25, 2009 Does God speak English, and more specific, KJV english? Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Administrators Gail Posted January 25, 2009 Administrators Posted January 25, 2009 Methinketh yea. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Liz Posted January 25, 2009 Posted January 25, 2009 Wouldn't God speak all of the tongues? I mean, He created them, so..... Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
True-believer Posted January 25, 2009 Posted January 25, 2009 Yes, God would speak in "Tongues"--all depends what kind of "Tongues" your talking about. I don't think english was the first language that God invented... In the beginning at creation before the tower of Babel it was all one language but no one knows what language it was??? After the Tower of Babel--God created every other language and people went all over the world to restart their life again in their new language... It would of been very scary back in those days... All of a sudden your speaking one language then God gives a command to speak another--- And then your having trouble understanding everyone else who you use to once understood... Very strange... Please ponder this and let us know your thoughts??? Quote Luke 4:19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Neil D Posted January 25, 2009 Posted January 25, 2009 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, surely the God of Heaven speaks in sucheth way that ALL hearith the quiet Word of the Lord in thier ear thunderously... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Dr. Shane Posted January 25, 2009 Posted January 25, 2009 I believeth next to the Pirate forum there ought be a KJV English forum. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Liz Posted January 25, 2009 Posted January 25, 2009 Do you think we will be speaking our native languages in Heaven? I thought that we would all learn that original language spoken in the Garden of Eden. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Members phkrause Posted January 25, 2009 Members Posted January 25, 2009 Hey dgrimm I guess we'll known what speaking and listening in tongues is like. Because one way or the other we will be able to understand what each of us is saying. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted January 25, 2009 Posted January 25, 2009 Oh No. I hope we don't speak gibberish in heaven. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted January 25, 2009 Members Posted January 25, 2009 Now redwood you know what I mean!! pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted January 25, 2009 Posted January 25, 2009 I know. I was just being mean. I know what you mean. But being mean just comes natural. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted January 25, 2009 Members Posted January 25, 2009 Does God speak English, and more specific, KJV english? I have some books from the 1611 period when the KJV was translated. These other books don't sound at all like the KJV language. Perhaps the translators used a different format of English for the Bible....but it certainly was not the language of the people of the time. But, yes, I'm sure God understands KJV language... :smile: Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Members phkrause Posted January 25, 2009 Members Posted January 25, 2009 I didn't think you were being mean, but I did think you were being, Oh I can't use that word here. hahahahahahaha pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Kountzer Posted January 25, 2009 Posted January 25, 2009 God invented english. Besides, I talk to him in english all the time. Quote I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs. Frederick Douglass
Woody Posted January 25, 2009 Posted January 25, 2009 Does that make God ... English ... perhaps British? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Liz Posted January 25, 2009 Posted January 25, 2009 I didn't think you were being mean, but I did think you were being, Oh I can't use that word here. hahahahahahaha pk I am pretty sure, you can use the word "ornery". Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Members phkrause Posted January 25, 2009 Members Posted January 25, 2009 Was that the work I wanted to use? Ah, yes that's it!! hahahahahaha pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators John317 Posted January 25, 2009 Moderators Posted January 25, 2009 Originally Posted By: Stan Jensen Does God speak English, and more specific, KJV english? I have some books from the 1611 period when the KJV was translated. These other books don't sound at all like the KJV language. Perhaps the translators used a different format of English for the Bible....but it certainly was not the language of the people of the time. The difference is that the KJV is a literal translation of the Bible, so it uses lots of words unique to the Bible. But it was translated in words which the common people of 1611 used. For instance, in that day, "prevent" meant "precede," and the people used words like "thee", "thou," "thy" and "art begot," etc. Shakespeare, Ben Jonson and Christopher Marlowe all used the same language in their poems and plays as the people of that time. It's very similar to the KJV. You notice it more when you compare the original printings. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted January 25, 2009 Members Posted January 25, 2009 I have the original printing of Ben Jonson's works and others of that time period, and I didn't notice the similarities. Perhaps it has to do with the words used specifically in the KJV... Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Moderators John317 Posted January 25, 2009 Moderators Posted January 25, 2009 Yes. Also the cadence or rhythm of the lines is different. But there are also some striking similarities. It shows the most when the subject is somewhat similar, as in the following poem and Psalm. Compare: To Heaven by Ben Jonson Good and great God, can I not think of thee But it must straight my melancholy be? Is it interpreted in me disease That, laden with my sins, I seek for ease? Oh be thou witness, that the reins dost know And hearts of all, if I be sad for show, And judge me after; if I dare pretend To ought but grace or aim at other end. As thou art all, so be thou all to me, First, midst, and last, converted one, and three; My faith, my hope, my love; and in this state My judge, my witness, and my advocate. Where have I been this while exil'd from thee? And whither rap'd, now thou but stoop'st to me? Dwell, dwell here still. O, being everywhere, How can I doubt to find thee ever here? I know my state, both full of shame and scorn, Conceiv'd in sin, and unto labour borne, Standing with fear, and must with horror fall, And destin'd unto judgment, after all. I feel my griefs too, and there scarce is ground Upon my flesh t' inflict another wound. Yet dare I not complain, or wish for death With holy Paul, lest it be thought the breath Of discontent; or that these prayers be For weariness of life, not love of thee. KJV-- Ps. 61 Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah. For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name. Thou wilt prolong the king's life: and his years as many generations. He shall abide before God for ever: O prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him. So will I sing praise unto thy name for ever, that I may daily perform my vows. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
aldona Posted January 25, 2009 Posted January 25, 2009 I believeth next to the Pirate forum there ought be a KJV English forum. Thou should see some of the Quaker forums. Let's just say that there are still some Quakers (especially the older and/or more conservative members) who speak in the old "thee" and "thou" language. There is something surreal about seeing this kind of ancient communication on an Internet forum. aldona Quote www.asrc.org.au (Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each monthIMSLP/Petrucci Music LibraryThe Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music DownloadsLooking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!
Stan Posted January 26, 2009 Author Posted January 26, 2009 I can almost hear it Fairdinkum day mate, welcome to the REAL dinkydie, eh. Hope yea brung your marmite, been a shortage here, everyone been surfing. Sent via iPhone Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Lineman Posted January 26, 2009 Posted January 26, 2009 As I was reading this it dawned on me that even if God spoke all the languages on this earth at the same time there would not be enough words to name all the stars that He has named. Can you even name all the ones you see each night? Not me, and even if I could I'm not real sure I could come up with that many names no matter what language I used. Quote Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL ! (Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
Lineman Posted January 26, 2009 Posted January 26, 2009 BTW, I was just thinking about the Gift of Tongues this weekend and realized that those of you who work with music have the Gift of Tongues that few have. Thanks for using that gift to encourage us. Quote Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL ! (Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
Beryl Posted January 26, 2009 Posted January 26, 2009 Maybe I am completely wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time!), but somehow I see heaven using a heavenly language, and that each of the worlds that God created using that same language -- except after the flood when God had to do something to scatter the people, and so he confused their languages -- and maybe that heavenly language was lost to earth at that time. When Jesus comes, I somehow think that, along with the physical change that occurs with God's people, we will all begin to speak again that heavenly language, and are able to commnicate freely with all the thousands upon thousands (or is it millions upon millions?) of the saved, and the angels, and the inhabitants of other worlds -- in other words, the whole universe will again be one! (and, Neill, sorry -- but "pirate talk" will definitely be out!! -- no pirates will be there!!) God bless, Beryl Quote "Grace is God doing for us, in us and through us that which He requires of us but which is impossible for us to do in or for ourselves." But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.