Woody Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 Just received some Shrimp from my neighbors. They knew I was batching it for the past week. So, they were trying to be kind. I graciously thanked them. But they know our dietary issues. I suspect they just forgot. Now ... what do I do? I've accepted it. What happens when they ask if I liked it? O brother .... what have I gotten myself into? And what do I do with this shrimp? Help me out here ... Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators Bravus Posted February 4, 2009 Moderators Posted February 4, 2009 Eat it, dude, it's yummy! Quote Truth is important
Dr. Shane Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 Quick, while it is still good take it to the food bank. I bet there is some poor hungry family that would love to have a shrimp dinner. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Woody Posted February 4, 2009 Author Posted February 4, 2009 How would YOU know? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Dr. Shane Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 I have eaten shrimp and think it is way over-rated. But there are those non-Adventists that would really appreciate it. The Food Bank is probably your best bet. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Woody Posted February 4, 2009 Author Posted February 4, 2009 How long do you think it will keep in the fridge? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Dr. Shane Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 I am not sure but I bet you can find the answer on the Internet somewhere. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Woody Posted February 4, 2009 Author Posted February 4, 2009 Blanche gets home late tonight. I'll hand it off to her ... she should have some wisdom in that area regarding what to do with it. The only thing is ... she just might get herself into some trouble if she does much. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Liz Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 Here is what ya do: Put it on the floor, without its lid, right next to the fridge, because you were planning to put it in there. Call the dog over. Shut your eyes. When you open your eyes, that darn dog ate your shrimp!!! Next time the neighbors offer you shrimp, just politely say "No thanks, I don't eat shellfish". Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Woody Posted February 4, 2009 Author Posted February 4, 2009 Thanks Liz. I can always count on you. Just like Obama today ... I screwed up. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
GreatLakesGramma Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 Eat it, dude, it's yummy! That's a matter of opinion. Shrimp is nasty. How do I know? I have not always been an Adventist. I tried some once. I did not clean my plate. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Moderators Nan Posted February 4, 2009 Moderators Posted February 4, 2009 I think all such food should be categorised as the cockroaches of the sea and waterways..... Quote
Moderators John317 Posted February 4, 2009 Moderators Posted February 4, 2009 Eat it, dude, it's yummy! Shrimp used to be one of my wife's favorite foods, but when she became a Seventh-day Adventist and understood the health message, she happily gave them up, along with her cigarettes and alcohol. One of our first "dates" was a dinner at a sea-food restaurant where she put down a whole plate load of shrimp. I tasted it and I have to say that I really enjoyed them too, but I don't eat them because they're on God's list of animals He doesn't want us to eat. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Moderators Bravus Posted February 4, 2009 Moderators Posted February 4, 2009 Well, since (again) the Bible is actually fine with it if you read the whole book, it comes down to a taste judgement. Some like it, some don't. Personally I find Weetbix pretty revolting... Quote Truth is important
Moderators John317 Posted February 4, 2009 Moderators Posted February 4, 2009 .... the Bible is actually fine with it if you read the whole book... OK, give me the Bible evidence that shrimp is OK. I'm predisposed to want to to accept what you say on this, but I need it to be based on solid reasoning in the Scriptures. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
fccool Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 I've heard some pastors giving the examples of why not to eat shrimp, and usually the story of a drowned human corpse that shrimp feed on comes up. I love both shrimp and shellfish, but I did give it up when I become vegetarian. I'd like to point out one thing though... Quote: 2and your fear and your dread is on every beast of the earth, and on every fowl of the heavens, on all that creepeth on the ground, and on all fishes of the sea -- into your hand they have been given. 3Every creeping thing that is alive, to you it is for food; as the green herb I have given to you the whole; 4only flesh in its life -- its blood -- ye do not eat. The above is not talking about clean or unclean... it is talking about every... all inclusive. Clean and unclean at that time only pertained to animals suitable for sacrifice, since people did not eat meat. Likewise, after the flood, the animals were allowed to be eaten so that the humans could survive by means of eating animals. Just goes to show that God values human life above the idea of "clean" and "unclean", and he permitted Noah to eat any animal if needed, except the pregnant ones. Now, we are to maintain the health, but it should not be at expense of making other to stumble. There are people who think that they can't give up eating shellfish for the sake of religion, so they give up before they even get a chance to know God. That's why I don't think we should be concerned with this matter less than spiritual and mental health of people. The spiritual will work on physical. Quote
Moderators John317 Posted February 4, 2009 Moderators Posted February 4, 2009 I'd like to point out one thing though... Quote: 2and your fear and your dread is on every beast of the earth, and on every fowl of the heavens, on all that creepeth on the ground, and on all fishes of the sea -- into your hand they have been given. 3Every creeping thing that is alive, to you it is for food; as the green herb I have given to you the whole; 4only flesh in its life -- its blood -- ye do not eat. Is this the best argument anyone can make that "the Bible is actually fine with" our eating of shrimp? Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Moderators Bravus Posted February 4, 2009 Moderators Posted February 4, 2009 Heh, some of us are at work, in the busiest time of the year. I have been since your question above. Home now and getting into it. The two texts I have in mind are the one in Romans that we've discussed recently, and the one of Peter's vision. I'll provide the references here. I *know* many here are going to dismiss the one as being about food offered to idols and the other about Gentiles joining the church. But the Bible says what it says, and we worm around it to make it fit our preconceptions at our peril (and yes, I realise that applies to me too). Romans 14:14, but read the whole chapter Acts 11:4-10 I'm not saying that the primary meaning of Acts 11 is anything other than the Gentiles, but why would God use an analogy in vision that was misleading as to his intentions? What does verse 9 say? "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean." Quote Truth is important
Pockey Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 Mark 7 says it's not what goes into a man that defiles him, but what comes out of man that defiles him. Quote
True-believer Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 Amen to that... It's not what goes into a man that defiles him, but what comes out of the man that defiles him. I'm going to eat some calarmari and some shrimp and BACON -----YUMMY!!! Thankyou Sid for that wonderful promise to us!!! Quote Luke 4:19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Moderators John317 Posted February 4, 2009 Moderators Posted February 4, 2009 So, then, is it OK to put anything into your body, even if you believe that it's harmful or unhealthful? I'm a diabetic. Do Jesus' words mean that I don't have to consider the laws of health? Of course not. Jesus words have to do with the fact that our evil thoughts and words are what defile us. We're not defiled by failure to obey Jewish laws related to washings, as in verse 4. Notice that Jesus is contrasting human traditions with commandments of God. Vvs. 5-9. Most versions of Mark 7: 19 have Christ saying that he declared all foods clean. But the words, "thus he declared all foods clean" do not appear in any Greek manuscript but are added by the translator (who ought to know better!). The KJV, NKJV, Darby's, and Robert Young's Literal Translation give it the way all Greek manuscripts have it. Mark 7:19 (Young's Literal Translation) 19 because it doth not enter into his heart, but into the belly, and into the drain it doth go out, purifying all the meats.' Jesus means that the food we eat simply goes through our body and ends up in the toilet, and therefore does not do us harm spiritually the way evil words and hatred in our heart does. Mark 7: 20: 23. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Moderators John317 Posted February 4, 2009 Moderators Posted February 4, 2009 Amen to that... I'm going to eat some calarmari and some shrimp and BACON -----YUMMY!!! Hold on, Luke. Not so fast! :) Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
True-believer Posted February 4, 2009 Posted February 4, 2009 What John317, What you mean "Not so fast???" It's just been declared ALL food is clean, so I want some bacon--mmmm---yummy. Quote Luke 4:19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Moderators John317 Posted February 4, 2009 Moderators Posted February 4, 2009 Acts 11:4-10 I'm not saying that the primary meaning of Acts 11 is anything other than the Gentiles, but why would God use an analogy in vision that was misleading as to his intentions? What does verse 9 say? "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean." Let's let Peter tell us what the vision means-- Acts 10: 34, 35: "In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him." He goes on to point out that God has shown he accepts gentiles as well as Jews. Is this the right way to understand it? Peter answers-- Acts 10: 28: "God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean." Peter understood the purpose of the vision to be the lesson that no HUMAN should be called unclean, for God had made them clean. Here's the question: Was Peter confused about the meaning of the vision? Did Peter ever change his eating habits? Did he run out immediately after the vision and get a pig to eat? Is there any record that anyone in the NT did change their diet as a result of the vision shown to Peter? The silence is deafening. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Moderators Bravus Posted February 4, 2009 Moderators Posted February 4, 2009 John317 - as with the long alcohol discussion we're having, "everything is permitted, but not everything is expedient". To say that the Bible *does not forbid* us to eat shrimp is not at all the same thing as saying that it *requires* us to do so. As there are many good reasons to avoid alcohol, there are a number of good reasons to avoid shrimp. Some simply don't like it. Others are allergic. Shrimp are filter feeders and are vulnerable to accumulating bad stuff from dirty water, which is probably what was behind the Old Testament prohibitions, and that's still true. So I absolutely respect anyone's right to make the choice not to eat shrimp, for all sorts of reasons. But is it something the Bible requires? I believe not and haven't seen a compelling case against the texts I mentioned. Quote Truth is important
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.