aldona Posted February 16, 2009 Posted February 16, 2009 Quote: As a *thought model* I nominate Aldona. Get her ideas. Me, a thought model?? Now I'm really scared...I think I'll go and hide under the table with a waste paper basket over my head. Too much thought could be dangerous. What category would that be in... the "half-Quaker identity crisis Adventist?" Actually, I agree with some of the other posters here - the categories are not really a good fit. I would consider myself to have some features of the Progressive, Evangelical and Moderate groups, but do not completely fit into any one pigeon-hole. I am inclined to agree with British writer George Holbrook Jackson (1874-1948)... "No two men have exactly the same religion: a church, like society, is a compromise." aldona Quote www.asrc.org.au (Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each monthIMSLP/Petrucci Music LibraryThe Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music DownloadsLooking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!
guibox Posted February 16, 2009 Author Posted February 16, 2009 I agree with Bravus. I believe that the obvious segregation of beliefs in the SDA church as is presented from the website list detracts from our mission and causes us to look inward. The question is..what do we do about it? I think that the nature and isolated thinking that distinguished our church from others does not allow many to believe that there can (or more importantly 'should') be an acceptance of differing doctrinal beliefs and standards of living. The church was formulated with everybody pretty much in the same mindset under the umbrella of 'we are the true denomination'. Now many don't know what to do in this 'pluralistic' sub-culture we call 'Seventh Day Adventism'. The conservative feels that their way is the right way because that was what we were founded on and that if we call ourselves SDA, then we must conform to that standard of believing and living. The more liberal says 'Times change, the church should be changing too' Thus a compromise seems to be unacceptable to many. This is where the 'my way or the highway' mentality has flourished and caused dissension and people breaking away. I see the results of this mentality in the mindset of most former Adventists who felt that compromise was impossible because they grew up believing that they had to believe a certain way or give it up. Our church has not had a happy history of encouraging dissenting views. (much like the Catholic Church of the Middle Ages) It seems that we merely 'tolerate' each other's viewpoints though there are others that feel unless you conform to their way of thinking, you can't really be called a 'good Adventist'. Meanwhile, the world is dying to meet Jesus and we are busy worrying about contemporary Christian music in the church and whether so and so wears a wedding ring and eats meat. Quote www.corbel.theacaistory.com
Moderators John317 Posted February 16, 2009 Moderators Posted February 16, 2009 But John, it really doesn't matter whether people are assigned to the right camp in this list. I wasn't talking about that, I was talking about the existence of such a category system within Adventism at all. . I wasn't aware of any categories-- at least I never thought in those terms-- until I came to Adventist Forum 3 years ago. I wasn't aware of all the categories on the list until just a few hours ago. I stay away from those categories in my own thinking. I don't use any of them. I dislike even the ones that put people in a "liberal" or "conservative" box. Until I came to this forum, I just considered everyone in the church SDA. Call it naive but that is the way I like it. I never knew people in the church had prejudices against people because they thought differently or were more "liberal" or more "conservative." For me personally, I could care less. I enjoy talking about viewpoints and about the Bible, but as friends and fellow Adventists. Guess I'm old-fashioned that way but the church I joined was like that, as far as I knew anyway. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Robert Posted February 16, 2009 Posted February 16, 2009 Weber, Martin. Who's got the truth: Making sense out of five different Adventist gospels. Columbia, MD: Calvary Connections, 1994. A valuation of the views of Morris Venden, George Knight, Jack Sequeira, Ralph Larson, and Graham Maxwell about the gospel. Huh, Weber...after studying all 5 gospels agrees with Sequeira. Buy it.... Pic of book Quote
Woody Posted February 16, 2009 Posted February 16, 2009 The truth IS ... There is a big division and I would even classify it as a civil war. In my mind ... there needs to be a meeting of the minds and an agreement to come together for the common good and mission of the church that Bravus is talking about. But, I also feel there is a good way to minimize the differences by clearly defining them and agreeing to put the differences aside for the mission of the church. And Rob ... Yes. I've got the book. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Woody Posted February 16, 2009 Posted February 16, 2009 O.o Could you be a little more expressive? I have NO idea what that means. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Members phkrause Posted February 17, 2009 Members Posted February 17, 2009 Redwood I have to agree about the classiflying. I actually enjoy listening to most of the ones you have listed there. But I have never heard Keavin Hayden, Ed Christian, Jack Sequeira. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators John317 Posted February 17, 2009 Moderators Posted February 17, 2009 ... the distinctions are very fine ones that require a lot of work to create and maintain. I'm just saying that I think a lot of these divisions would disappear if our eye was strongly focused on winning unbelievers... which is meant to be our main goal.... The categories are interesting and it's kind of fun to see where various people are put. But the distinctions themselves result from the fact that man's mind likes to organize and classify everyone and everything. I doubt there would have been such distinctions without the computer, though, because it keeps so much information that it could divide the groups according to hundreds of different categories. We haven't seen the limit of it yet. But in my personal life, the way I relate to people, I refuse to see them with that mind-set, especially other Adventists. We need to be unified. We need to draw closer, not divided by such categories and stereotypes. They may encourage people to think of "us" vs. "them," and SDAs in particular don't need that. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Moderators John317 Posted February 17, 2009 Moderators Posted February 17, 2009 Jack Sequeira's books are sometimes at the Adventist Book Center, and he used to be on 3ABN. Not sure if he is still on there sometimes. Check out: http://www.jacksequeira.org/aboutjj.htm Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Members phkrause Posted February 17, 2009 Members Posted February 17, 2009 Never seen him there. Have watched 3abn for a long time. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators John317 Posted February 17, 2009 Moderators Posted February 17, 2009 Well, I haven't been able to watch it much in a long time. But I used to watch it regularly about 1990 to 1994, and that's when I would see Jack Sequeira on there. I enjoyed listening to him. They may not allow him on there any more, although I don't have any specific information on that. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Cosmin M. Posted February 17, 2009 Posted February 17, 2009 Originally Posted By: Cosmin O.o Could you be a little more expressive? I have NO idea what that means. That means your freaked out or scared. Quote
Members phkrause Posted February 17, 2009 Members Posted February 17, 2009 Hey John that's about when 3abn first started out. I watched but probably not as much as now. Do you have any pictures of him you could upload or some web site that he might be on. Because his name, as far as 3abn is concerned, doesn't ring any bells. I've heard his name, but that's only been on this forum. I do remember a guy that had a series on dinosaurs, can't remember his name either. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators John317 Posted February 17, 2009 Moderators Posted February 17, 2009 Does this work for you-- http://www.jacksequeira.org/aboutjj.htm http://www.librarything.com/author/sequeirajack Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Woody Posted February 17, 2009 Posted February 17, 2009 You can abuse anything. Unity is the goal. Catagories are just one tool. When I talk to someone ... I like to know where they are coming from. Not for purposes of division but of unity. If they say they are conservative I know better how not to offend them. I know how to approach them. All for the purpose of unity. Not all are wanting unity. Some are so dogmatic in their approach ... that unity is not possible for it would mean compromise. This is the reason for DIS unity ... not catagories. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
LifeHiscost Posted February 17, 2009 Posted February 17, 2009 There's a lot of misinformation about the church out there that is spread by groups of people who do not like this church, or church movement. There is no good reason for those acquainted with the Word to attack any other faith group. Preach the Word as it is given and it identifies that which is contrary to the Truth. "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me..." John 5:39 NASB Only someone who attacks those whom Christ died for, can rightfully be determined as being led by another spirit than the Spirit God has sent to comfort His own. "...and the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and remind you of all things that I said to you."John 14:26 YLT "But the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will cause you to recall (will remind you of, bring to your remembrance) everything I have told you." John 14:25 AMP Regards! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
BSW Posted February 17, 2009 Posted February 17, 2009 When the protection of human laws shall be withdrawn from those who honor the law of God, there will be, in different lands, a simultaneous movement for their destruction. As the time appointed in the decree draws near, the people will conspire to root out the hated sect. It will be determined to strike in one night a decisive blow, which shall utterly silence the voice of dissent and reproof. {GC 635.1} Prepare to be hated as a hated sect. cool... In view of all that Christ had suffered there, and the unappreciated labor He had put forth, the disciples might have pleaded for a more promising field; but they made no such plea. The very ground where He had scattered the seed of truth was to be cultivated by the disciples, and the seed would spring up and yield an abundant harvest. In their work the disciples would have to meet persecution through the jealousy and hatred of the Jews; but this had been endured by their Master, and they were not to flee from it. The first offers of mercy must be made to the murderers of the Saviour. {DA 820.3} Prepare to love your murderers. very cool... Will the REAL Seventh-day Adventists please stand up. Whatever your label. Quote
guibox Posted February 17, 2009 Author Posted February 17, 2009 Will the REAL Seventh-day Adventists please stand up. Whatever your label. And what does being a 'REAL' Seventh Day Adventist entail, BSW? Is it according to the conservative view of things? Can we all not be 'REAL' SDAs and still have widely differing views on doctrine, standards, diet and day to day living? The uber-conservative says, 'NO!' What say you? Quote www.corbel.theacaistory.com
BSW Posted February 17, 2009 Posted February 17, 2009 Quote: And what does being a 'REAL' Seventh Day Adventist entail, BSW? One that does not judge anothers motives, even to the point of open sin. One that believes redemption is between themselves alone and their Creator, not an organizational group. One that cannot and will never be put in a box, though others will try. One that is free indeed. Those that see group, deserve our pity not our scorn. This is real. To call one out from something, something better must be offered. Peace Quote
Members phkrause Posted February 17, 2009 Members Posted February 17, 2009 Yes John, thanks for the links. He's not formilliar. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted February 17, 2009 Posted February 17, 2009 pk ... start getting familiar .... he is very good. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Moderators John317 Posted February 17, 2009 Moderators Posted February 17, 2009 Mostly good, but some not. As Redwood says, "in with the good, out with the bad." Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Woody Posted February 17, 2009 Posted February 17, 2009 Mostly good, but some not. As Redwood says, "in with the good, out with the bad." Hey ... I like that. You are learning. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.