Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Let's Not Be Cowardly Any More--- Let's Talk Candidly About Race


Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
Posted

But to claim that the election result was solely due to race, rather than policy and character... I believe the election actually fulfilled Dr King's dream: the people of America took a good hard look at the characters of the two candidates and made their decision.

Truth is important

Posted

I didn't say that the election results were solely due to race, although I'm sure that if Obama had lost many people would have made that claim.

How do you account for all the people that had no idea what Obama stood for? He had been in the Senate for a very short time and most of that time had been spent campaigning for President.

I saw 'on the street' interviews where people were presented with a policy. The way it was presented I'm sure the people thought the policy was Obama's--they were asked who they were for and then asked if they agreed with the following policy. And most of them said Yes, it was a good policy. Then they were told that it was McCain's policy.

Many people openly said that they voted for Obama because he was black.

A black Congressman from Illinois tried to make that case that Burris had to be the man to take Obama's place in the Senate, because Burris is black.

THAT IS RACISM

Posted

Got it, ..60, thanks. I agree. God said we are to have 'no other gods' before Him, and if a belief consumes a person, even that can be a god.

I also agree with Missionlady that many in this past election voted strictly based on skin color. That is a travesty. It's also racist.

To make matters even worse, so many Adventists voted for a pro-abortion, anti-constitution, tax raising, welfare promoting, lying presidential candidate that has surrounded himself even more with tax cheats, frauds, and domestic terrorists... and voted for him because of his skin color. I mourn for America and for the weak characters of the Remnant that are supposed to stand for the right, 'though the heavens fall'.

PS: I would have voted for that Constitution-loving candidate, Alan Keyes, in a heartbeat, if his presidential efforts had gotten a foothold. Problem is no one wants to put their government handouts at risk.

The passionate side of me just popped out.

  • Moderators
Posted

I would submit that at least as many voted against Obama because of his skin colour as voted for him on that basis, largely cancelling out that effect.

But this concentration on how others are being racist to us poor marginalised whites is exactly why I said what I did earlier - talking about race is not helpful when it's just among ourselves. What takes real courage is talking with those of other groups.

Truth is important

Posted

Bravus,

I disagree with you. I'm sure some voted against Obama because of skin color, but I believe more voted for him because of his skin color. I'm basing that on what I have witnessed in person, and on TV-on multiple channels.

I'm not claiming to be a victim, but I have heard lots of black people claim that. I just want everyone to truly follow Dr. King's Dream and not judge because of skin color.

So who are you suggesting we talk to about this? I think exploring the subject objectively can be very beneficial. I have discussed this subject with family members and with friends-- both black and white friends. It has helped me see where I really stand on the issue.

  • Moderators
Posted

The question is just how objective a discussion among all us white folks can be without any other perspectives. Of course there's racism in all communities, and in all directions. But we don't get past that by complaining among ourselves within our ghettoes about the people in the other groups. We get past that by going out and talking to the people in the other groups, sharing our perspectives with them and coming to understand their views.

Truth is important

  • Moderators
Posted

missionlady, I want to apologise - it seems as though I've been in your face on pretty much every post today. I don't mean to be, and I'm sorry. I'll back off.

(posted in a couple of threads)

Truth is important

Posted

"We get past that by going out and talking to the people in the other groups, sharing our perspectives with them and coming to understand their views."

Bravus--great point.

My user name is Missionlady because I used to tell mission stories to children in Sabbath School. One of my main objectives in doing that was to give the children a glimpse of other cultures. I would always do a lot of research to find things about the culture to tell the children. For too many years missionaries went to other culture trying to convince the "natives" that they had to become just like the missionaries-not just in religion, but also culturally.

When we attended church in southern California, we went to a culturally diverse church. I loved it. We bought a repossessed house in a minority neighborhood, and even though we were burglarized by a neighbor, we did make some friends there. Everywhere we have lived, we have looked for cultural diversity. My four daughters have each been on numerous mission trips and learned some about the cultures while they were there.

Bravus,

Just to make sure the message is received, I'll say it here too. I have had no problem with our discussions. You have been respectful, just expressing differing opinions. :]

Missionlady

  • Moderators
Posted

Thanks for that. Virtual handshake and a smile. thumbsup

Truth is important

Posted

Many people openly said that they voted for Obama because he was black.

A black Congressman from Illinois tried to make that case that Burris had to be the man to take Obama's place in the Senate, because Burris is black.

"Just as I watched over them to uproot and tear down, and to overthrow, destroy and bring disaster, so I will watch over them to build and to plant," declares the LORD."Jeremiah 31:28 NIV

Regards! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...