Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Should we allow anything theatrical in church?


Recommended Posts

  • Members
Posted

Lineman I think that this is what EGW was talking about. I think that in her day the Theaters were mainly for this purpose. Like I mentioned above we need to take things in perspective. Like when she wrote about bicycle's. In her day they were very costly and if you spent all your money on such frivolous things and have nothing for the Lord. To me, in todays language I would replace bicycle with car, etc. So I would do the same with theatrical. I think Neil has made a really good post on the whole subject.

pk

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
  • Moderators
Posted

I don't think the issue about the theater is about cost in this case. I believe it is about the style.

Merriam-Webster has this to say about "theatrical": marked by pretense or artificiality of emotion, histrionic (deliberately affected, deliberate display of emotion for effect), marked by extravagant display or exhibitionism

This kind of style may be entertaining, but may not be suitable for the kind of soul-searching that the solemn end-time messages require.

Posted

"by all means save everyone"

Especially if it gets me in. But then I don't need it, do I?

"For judgment will be merciless to one who has shown no mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment."

James 2:13 NASB

Regards! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Posted

Don't you?

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

Posted

I was going to say the same thing LifeHisCost said above, "It becomes another method" of communicating God's love. I agree that being "theatrical" and communicating are two very different things.

Ellen White was not talking about them not using a theater, but using the "style" used in a theater. God used the temple and it's services to communicate His plan of salvation. It was a play of sorts, but definately not theatrical.

We should do the same! In fact, if the Jewish nation had the ability to create and share movies in Moses day I think God would have had them use movies too. Just like the internet, each of these are just a form of communication, a tool we can use for sharing the gospel far and wide.

I appreciated what Gerry wrote above. This really clears it up for me:

Quote:
"theatrical":

marked by pretense or artificiality of emotion, histrionic (deliberately affected, deliberate display of emotion for effect), marked by extravagant display or exhibitionism

cool1

Visit and Share the BibleTimelines.com URL !

(Explain the Gospel in just a few minutes, or maybe even seconds.)
 

Posted

Don't you?

It was a rhetorical question. The person who doesn't think they need it, or doesn't think they need it as bad as someone else, has little if any conception of the difference between their lack and the completeness of the righteousness of Jesus.

I like the words of one of the present day evangelists who has been probably as instrumental in bringing comfort as any other, to fundamentalist Christians or anyone who has ever felt they could rely on their own works to give them confidence for their future eternal safety.

And I here quote as best I can remember.

"God does not know a sinner He does not love.

God does not know a sin He does not hate.

God does not know a sin He cannot forgive.

And God does not know a better time than now."

I would only suggest the only sin that will not be forgiven is the known sin for which we will not ask repentance.

"Him God has exalted to His right hand to be Prince and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins." Acts 5:31 NKJV

And if we are presenting theatrics, in good conscience for the glory of God, we need not worry about our salvation.

"Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin." James 4:17 NKJV

"But Jesus was saying, 'Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing...' "Luke 23:34 NASB

Regards! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...