Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Do you like motorcycles?


Recommended Posts

  • Members
Posted

I say a wanna be Harley. ROFL

pk

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

I say a wanna be Harley. ROFL

pk

I personally think that the Japanese bikes are better....The Harley guys at work disagree, but then again they pay for that name, huh?

  • Members
Posted

I knew this guy that all he bought was Japanese bikes. He wouldn't even ride a Harley. He always had some kind of excuse, they leak, there to rough to ride, etc. But you know, someone got him to take one for a ride, guess what, he now owns one. Yes they are expensive and you are paying for the name. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they are the best bike. I think to each is own. Just like cars or trucks etc. No two people will agree on everything, and I think that's fine. No reason for all to be the same.

pk

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

OOookay, we dont know what Tom's bike is ...yet...

In the meantime, what would be a good bike to LEARN on? the goal is to get a roadbike and take long road trips....

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

 

George Bernard Shaw

 

  • Moderators
Posted

Are there any particular restrictions in your state on the size and type of bike you can learn on? Here everyone has to start out on a 250cc, but I don't think they even know what those *are* in North America!

The Suzuki GSXF650 is a very nice mid-size sports-tourer that wouldn't be too big to learn on (though it's a little heavy, you'd want to keep it balanced) that would eat up the miles.

Anyway, let me know a little about the regulatory framework and we'll talk. bwink

Truth is important

Posted

Yamaha V Star 650 Classic Motorcycle

Posted

OOookay, we dont know what Tom's bike is ...yet...

I'm 100% sure it is a Yamaha! No doubts!!!!

Rob

Posted

VFR.jpg

This was my motorcycle before I was married.

2000 Honda VFR in Canadian Blue.

  • Administrators
Posted

Good eye, Robert! It's a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic with Bub Big Willy Pipes and Kuryakyn High Five Air kit. The rest of the add-ons are Yamaha.

Tom

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

  • Moderators
Posted

Very nice indeed. And the VFR is totally sweet, too, Joe. It's more my style - big sports-tourer, rather than the cruiser like the V-Star. I mean, I can see the appeal of the latter, but for what I do my Bandit ticks all the boxes perfectly.

Truth is important

Posted

The 250? Sure we know what they are....they're dirt bikes...and, IMHO, noise makers that give plenty of noise pollution in the woods...Hate the little buggers..

but if I need to learn on them before the real thing...[sigh]...

I know that the state of Oregon recoommends that you go thru a cycle class and I believe that they have the bikes to learn on...mostly small 250-350 sized bikes [i could be speaking totally wrong] but I think that that is the size bikes that I see when these guys get out and do the practice...

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

 

George Bernard Shaw

 

  • Moderators
Posted

Yeah, see here we have lots of 250 road bikes too. If you had to get a 250 I'd strongly recommend a Honda VTR 250 as a first bike. But I have no idea if they're even sold in the US. Here's a pic:

vtr2502.jpg

Truth is important

  • Moderators
Posted

Had a quick look at the Oregon DMV and didn't see any size restrictions for learners. There are quite a few nice mid-size things that are better for a man-size man to start out on. bwink

If you like the 'naked' look of the VTR above, the SV650N is very nice. A naked bike is good for a beginner because there's a good chance that you'll drop it in a drive-way or something as you're learning to maneuver and with all the plastics in a sportsbike (like Joe's blue VFR above) that can be very expensive.

If you like a 'bikini fairing' on a 'standard' style bike, like mine, the SV650S is also very nice. Same bike, slightly different setup. It's a bit more of a racing seating position, so you'd need to sit on it and make sure it feels OK.

The GSXF650 I suggested earlier has a full fairing, so in that way is less of a beginner bike, but would give you more weather protection on longer rides.

Or, if you fancy a cruiser, something like Tom's V-Star is also very nice and would be fine as a first bike.

I'd recommend not buying a brand new one as your first bike, for that same reason - there's a good chance you'll scratch it at some point, and that's much less heartbreaking on a bike with a few scratches already... plus you save a *heap* on depreciation. My bike is about 9 years old, runs perfectly and cost me $4700.

Truth is important

Posted

Yeah, I love motor-cycles...

My own dad is crazy about them...

I think i'm in his footsteps when it comes to motor-cycles.

LOL!!!

Luke 4:19

To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Posted

I would like to get a motorcycle one day. I see myself using it at certain times of the day when I know traffic is bad just to lane split on the highways.

I see no point in the Can-Am Spyder because it takes up a whole lane.

And as goofy as these look, I would like to get a Commuter Car

They are not mass manufactured so they cost a lot. They look goofy but they can hit 60 in under 4 seconds and are as wide as a Honda Gold Wing so they can split lanes.

post-1381-140967433698_thumb.jpg

post-1381-140967433703_thumb.jpg

post-1381-140967433704_thumb.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...