Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Was Easter Borrowed From a Pagan Holiday?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Yes. You can do it anytime of the year. But if you don't set aside at least one day .... you will probably not do it at all. That excuse is the same one that those opposed to the Sabbath use.

Happy Easter ...

I agree Redwood...

We can do it any time of the year, but The Christian World has given us two important dates to really emphasize....

Passover Thursday, Good-Friday, Easter Saturday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday...

OR...

Passover Thursday, Jesus Crucifixion, Resting in tomb on Sabbath, Resurrection Sunday, and Monday---day off work......

Each day plays a very important in our Christian witness to the world except our day off on Monday which we still need....

We have also been given December 25 to celebrate Jesus' Birthday....

Yes, I know these are NOT accurate dates, but we have still been given these dates to spread the TRUE BIBLICAL MEANING OF THE CROSS AND RESURRECTION AND BIRTH OF JESUS.

And to this we must be grateful.

Luke 4:19

To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Woody

    25

  • Kountzer

    12

  • Daniel1632

    10

  • phkrause

    9

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

"True"-believer,

KJV Deuteronomy 12:32 What thing soever I command you,

observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

God isn't interested in evangelism so much as he is interested in pure worship with the truth.

KJV Revelation 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

KJV John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Celebrating Dec 25th is like wearing a badge. It shows ones allegiance to those who started it. Ditto for Easter. The very word is a corruption of "Passover".

KJV Exodus 12:42 It is a night to be much observed unto the LORD for bringing them out from the land of Egypt: this is that night of the LORD to be observed of all the children of Israel in their generations.

The translators were forced to put Easter into the KJV out of fear of tradition. But the Greek says "passover". (Acts 12:4)

So everytime you say "Happy Easter" you cover up and HIDE the truth of Passover

And if you know your history, you will know that the reason you celebrate Easter next Sunday is that the Roman Catholics WON a centuries long bloody and bitter war over the date of Easter with her daughter Churches the Protestants.

So to even conceed their date is to conceed they are right, and to conceed they are right is counter productive to the gospel, because ROME does not support the gospel.

Daniel

http://www.torahtimes.org/book/

Free Online Chronology Book

Posted

Your sentiment is the same thing that cooked the Eastern Orthodox Church like a frog in the pan for a thousand years. They respected the Sabbath for a long time, but went about baptising every idol and pagan tradition in sight. So also Israel repected the Sabbath on the one hand, but when you turn your back they are worshipping the sun in the Temple (Ezekiel 8).

So you think everyone has forgotten, and no one is offended. But you fail to address the criteria. The criteria for judging a pagan custom is if God is offended.

Daniel

All I know is ... I asked Him and He said He is not offended.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Originally Posted By: Redwood
Yes. You can do it anytime of the year. But if you don't set aside at least one day .... you will probably not do it at all. That excuse is the same one that those opposed to the Sabbath use.

Happy Easter ...

I agree Redwood...

We can do it any time of the year, but The Christian World has given us two important dates to really emphasize....

Passover Thursday, Good-Friday, Easter Saturday, Easter Sunday, Easter Monday...

OR...

Passover Thursday, Jesus Crucifixion, Resting in tomb on Sabbath, Resurrection Sunday, and Monday---day off work......

Each day plays a very important in our Christian witness to the world except our day off on Monday which we still need....

We have also been given December 25 to celebrate Jesus' Birthday....

Yes, I know these are NOT accurate dates, but we have still been given these dates to spread the TRUE BIBLICAL MEANING OF THE CROSS AND RESURRECTION AND BIRTH OF JESUS.

And to this we must be grateful.

Yes. It is a great time to witness. And if you were not to honor Easter ... just look at the bad witness in the community that you share.

HAPPY EASTER

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Thanks Redwood... your awesome... Be blessed.

Luke 4:19

To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Posted

I don't have a problem with Easter. it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. If the Lord doesn't return, it will be observed again next year. I resent someone trying to sell me on legitimizing easter because of some jewish mythology mumbo jumbo.

I got a 3 day weekend. I'm thankful and happy. and just because i believe easter is of pagan origns does not make me any less appreciative of calvary.

I was looking at 3abn via the internet. They are running a series by Kenneth Cox entitled 'baptised paganism'. It airs 2 times today. The timing is spot on. I like this churches approach to the subject at hand. It is very subtle. Still you can tell where they are coming from and what they believe on the topic. I try to follow suit.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

Posted

Good thing you are not attending my church today then ... we're having a Christian Seder.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

easter

post-2281-140967433829_thumb.gif

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

don't need a seder for that info, just read the bible.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

  • Members
Posted

Kountzer just to let you know Easter has nothing to do with Jewish mythology. The problem I have with easter, is not what it commemorates, but when the christian churches celebrate the event. We need to be looking to when the Jews celebrate Passover, because this is the correct time of the crucifixion. On some years they come out at the same time. The christian church moved easter because they did not want to have it at the same time as the Jews were celebrating Passover.

pk

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

Easter is the subtle-hidden access to glorify Sunday Law. That's the next. If God's people feeling so blessed with easter, why not Sunday Law. Nothing wrong with Sunday Sacredness, right? We just praising God at Sundays....so, is there something wrong with that?

Posted

If that don't take the cake ...

or the Easter bunny.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Easter is the subtle-hidden access to glorify Sunday Law. That's the next. If God's people feeling so blessed with easter, why not Sunday Law. Nothing wrong with Sunday Sacredness, right? We just praising God at Sundays....so, is there something wrong with that?

Yep, you hit the nail on the head.

KJV Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and

desperately wicked: who can know it?

When was the resurrection anyway?

Mat. 28:1, "On the later of the sabbaths, at the dawning on the first of the sabbaths ....

Mark 16:2, "Very early on the first of the Sabbaths ..."

Luke 24:1, "And on the first of the Sabbaths ..."

John 20:1, "And on the first of the Sabbaths ..."

Lev. 23:11 "From the day after the [Passover] Sabbath, .... you shall count seven complete Sabbaths"

So the resurrection day was the first Sabbath after Passover.

Daniel

http://www.torahtimes.org/book/

Free Online Chronology Book

Posted

I am not aware of Pagans worshipping Jesus. Why would a pagan celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. I just don't understand.

So ... is that pagan? I think not.

Happy Easter everyone. And it is a beautiful Easter here.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

  • Moderators
Posted

Easter is the subtle-hidden access to glorify Sunday Law. That's the next. If God's people feeling so blessed with easter, why not Sunday Law. Nothing wrong with Sunday Sacredness, right? We just praising God at Sundays....so, is there something wrong with that?

i dont understand the paranoia regarding sunday.

EGW states: Give Sunday to the Lord as a day for doing missionary work. Take students out to hold meetings in different places, and to do medical missionary work. They will find the people at home, and will have a splendid opportunity to present the truth. This way of spending Sunday is always acceptable to the Lord'" (Testimonies for the Church, Vol. IX, 238).

there you go. She says to give sunday to the Lord by doing missionary work and EVEN DO church!

  • Members
Posted

It's not paranoia regarding Sundays. It's about what a particular Sunday is being used to represent. And how. And why. IMHO

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Posted

It's not paranoia regarding Sundays. It's about what a particular Sunday is being used to represent. And how. And why. IMHO

But each side wants to characterize it in a different way. That is the trouble.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Why would a pagan celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. I just don't understand.

They didn't. They celebrated the resurrection of the sun god.

If Christians have "taken over" Easter, why does it still carry a pagan name? And why have they kept all the pagan fertility symbolism? And Lent - the time when the pagan sun worshipers mourned the death of the sun god, when his lover Ishtar was supposedly searching the netherworld for him?

That sounds more like adopting, not taking over.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

  • Moderators
Posted

Originally Posted By: Redwood
Why would a pagan celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. I just don't understand.

They didn't. They celebrated the resurrection of the sun god.

If Christians have "taken over" Easter, why does it still carry a pagan name? And why have they kept all the pagan fertility symbolism? And Lent - the time when the pagan sun worshipers mourned the death of the sun god, when his lover Ishtar was supposedly searching the netherworld for him?

That sounds more like adopting, not taking over.

what's wrong with adopting? EGW recommends we adopt our methods to attract people.

Posted

Originally Posted By: Redwood
Why would a pagan celebrate the resurrection of Jesus. I just don't understand.

They didn't. They celebrated the resurrection of the sun god.

If Christians have "taken over" Easter, why does it still carry a pagan name? And why have they kept all the pagan fertility symbolism? And Lent - the time when the pagan sun worshipers mourned the death of the sun god, when his lover Ishtar was supposedly searching the netherworld for him?

That sounds more like adopting, not taking over.

Again .... are you going to accuse all the millions of Christians that are celebrating the resurrection ... that they are realy not celebrating the resurrection? Surely they must know what they are doing. I find it rather insulting to tell me that I am not celebrating the resurrection. I think I know what I am doing. But somehow ... you and others know better than I do about what "I" am doing?

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

We have special services at my church in the spring that are related to the resurrection and calvary. They ususally don't fall precisely on easter sunday, but maybe sometime near that time. I certainly don't feel spiritually deprived with this arrangement.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

Posted

Again .... are you going to accuse all the millions of Christians that are celebrating the resurrection ... that they are realy not celebrating the resurrection? Surely they must know what they are doing. I find it rather insulting to tell me that I am not celebrating the resurrection. I think I know what I am doing. But somehow ... you and others know better than I do about what "I" am doing?

Don't accuse me of something I didn't say. I said nothing whatsoever about your motives, or anyone else's. Or that YOU are not celebrating the resurrection.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

Posted

Again .... are you going to accuse all the millions of Christians that are celebrating the resurrection ... that they are realy not celebrating the resurrection? Surely they must know what they are doing.

Redwood, I don't think you've really thought through the implications of what you are saying here. These are the same people who are keeping Sunday as the Sabbath, teaching that the dead go immediately to heaven or to an eternally burning hell, baptizing infants, and so on. But according to you, "surely they must know what they are doing," so those things must be OK too, I guess, if you really believe what you said. So why are you an Adventist?

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

Posted

what's wrong with adopting? EGW recommends we adopt our methods to attract people.

The word Sister White uses is "adapt," not "adopt." There is a big difference.

Catherine

God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26.

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...