Stan Posted September 14, 2009 Posted September 14, 2009 clearly abusive in some cases.. Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
olger Posted September 14, 2009 Posted September 14, 2009 "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." -H. L. Mencken. rejoice always, Gerald Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Outta Here Posted September 14, 2009 Posted September 14, 2009 Wow. It sure won't be funny if my son dies from it. :( Quote
Members phkrause Posted September 14, 2009 Members Posted September 14, 2009 agreed Aubrey, but at the same time it seems people go over board with everything. But at the same time its always better to be safe than sorry! pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
GreatLakesGramma Posted September 14, 2009 Posted September 14, 2009 I have read some interesting articles about the A(H1N1) flu lately. One told of an experiment where they tested regular flu and the A(H1N1) viruses against the receptors found in the cells of the body. The regular flu only attached to the receptors from the upper respiratory tract, but the A(H1N1) attached to a wider variety. They are able to infect cells deep in the lungs, which is why it can be more serious. Aside from that, I am still hearing and reading that the death rate from this flu is actually small. And although I've heard, as Bravus has stated in another thread, that young, healthy persons are dying from it, I've heard from other, equally reliable sources that everyone who has died from is has had other, underlying health issues. I have also read that this flu is only spread by contact, not through the air. None of the family members of the little Mexican boy who first died of it came down with it, though they were with him constantly throughout his illness. I talked to my out-of-state son on the phone yesterday, and this issue came up. I told him these things, and suggested he be careful about handling things lots of other people touch - like maybe use a tissue to handle a doorknob. He said while he was working at Wal Mart, he saw people come in whose cart he would not want to touch after them. That made him conscious of the issue, and he's always been careful since. He's thankful he has his own desk at work, and no one else handles his phone, computer, etc. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Outta Here Posted September 14, 2009 Posted September 14, 2009 Doesn't just about everyone have "other, underlying health issues" though? Many children have asthma--my son included in those numbers; would asthma be considered an underlying health issue? The mention of deep cells in the lungs is somewhat alarming. That's why I think it's serious enough to warrant concern. Quote
GreatLakesGramma Posted September 14, 2009 Posted September 14, 2009 Are you planning on getting your son immunized, Aubrey? Asthma is definitely a cause for concern in this matter. How does he do with the regular flu? If I were you, I would read anything and everything I could find online about the testing they've done. I have read that they've found that only one shot is enough to provide immunity, which is good. But I would want to know more about what else is in the vaccine, and possible risks associated with those components, compared to what sort of issues put people at risk for complications. Here's a news video that points out some causes for concern regarding the safety of the vaccine: H1N1 Vaccine Dangers When I talked to my son yesterday, I told him he might want to get the shot, but after watching this video, I'm not so sure. Some of the health issues he's dealing with right now sound like they might be autoimmune issues, which are a real cause for concern with some of the components of the vaccine. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Outta Here Posted September 14, 2009 Posted September 14, 2009 My husband's allergist recommends that each of us get the immunization; my husband and both children have asthma, food and airborne allergies. I am the only one fortunate enough to not have to deal with these--at least not on the scale they do. Any time my husband gets even something as minor as a cold, it leads to a severe sinus infection. My son suffers from a terrible cough when his lungs get inflamed. I appreciate the link to the video. (Am going to watch it now.) Quote
Administrators Gail Posted September 14, 2009 Administrators Posted September 14, 2009 Aubrey, are there any home remedies that are helpful when either your hubby or son get sick? Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Outta Here Posted September 15, 2009 Posted September 15, 2009 Eating well, exercise, water, sunshine, fresh air, rest--these all help. Many of the homeopathic remedies cause allergic reactions for my husband; I'm afraid to give them to my son (the allergies tend to be similar between them). Other than that, not really sure what home remedies we'd use. Quote
Members phkrause Posted September 15, 2009 Members Posted September 15, 2009 Aubrey there are no home remedies, other than the first part of you post. These are the things that even EGW so many years ago mentioned. And I believe you can find all these in the Bible also. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Administrators Gail Posted September 15, 2009 Administrators Posted September 15, 2009 I was thinking of mustard plasters, that kind of thing. When I suffered from asthma with my allergies I found that mustard plasters and garlic tea/soft coughing treatments helped a lot to clear congestion and ease breathing. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
GreatLakesGramma Posted September 15, 2009 Posted September 15, 2009 Hot foot baths are also effective against infectious disease. They mobilize the immune system to fight the infection. When my children and I were using a doctor who also operated an Adventist lifestyle center, he had me do hot foot baths for my son's strep infection. It worked. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
oldsailor29 Posted September 15, 2009 Posted September 15, 2009 Hot foot baths are also effective against infectious disease. They mobilize the immune system to fight the infection. When my children and I were using a doctor who also operated an Adventist lifestyle center, he had me do hot foot baths for my son's strep infection. It worked. Yes, paranoia probably accounts for about 80% of illnesses. Quote Prs God, frm whm blssngs flw http://www.zoelifestyle.com/jmccall
oldsailor29 Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 Yes, paranoia probably accounts for about 80% of illnesses. Quote Prs God, frm whm blssngs flw http://www.zoelifestyle.com/jmccall
Outta Here Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 What does the "yes" portion of your statement mean, oldsailor29? Quote
GreatLakesGramma Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 He's probably implying that my son's strep infection was only in my head, and that is the only reason hot foot baths worked. He thinks he knows what he's talking about, but in reality knows nothing whatsoever about it. Ignorance is bliss. Both of our nieces were being treated for strep infections at the time of my husband's family's Christmas celebration that year. When my son, who had had pneumonia at 10 months of age, came down with symptoms soon after, I took him to the doctor, who tested and confirmed that he had strep. I prefer not to use drugs if they can be avoided, so the doctor gave me an alternative recommendation, which was successful. Old Sailor probably thinks allergies are in our heads too. I suppose people die from unknowingly eating things they're allergic to because they think they will, even though they didn't know they had eaten it. Right. The only person I know of personally who died because of paranoia was my husband's grandfather, who refused to go to the hospital for a very much needed surgery. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Outta Here Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 He's probably implying that my son's strep infection was only in my head... That's the thought that came to my mind as well. I had hoped to hear him say otherwise. Still waiting. Quote
oldsailor29 Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 What does the "yes" portion of your statement mean, oldsailor29? Quote Prs God, frm whm blssngs flw http://www.zoelifestyle.com/jmccall
Outta Here Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 Sorry, oldsailor29, but the post you made was a bit confusing. You quoted the paragraph before and then said, "yes". I was unsure as to what you meant, so I asked. I was truly hoping that you weren't implying that GreatLakesGramma's son's illness was a result of paranoia. However, that implication is how your post came across. The nice thing about the Internet is that we can clarify these things! Quote
oldsailor29 Posted September 16, 2009 Posted September 16, 2009 Sorry, oldsailor29, but the post you made was a bit confusing. You quoted the paragraph before and then said, "yes". I was unsure as to what you meant, so I asked. I was truly hoping that you weren't implying that GreatLakesGramma's son's illness was a result of paranoia. However, that implication is how your post came across. The nice thing about the Internet is that we can clarify these things! no no. That's okay. Sometimes I quote people because I feel what they have posted is more important than what I am posting. that was why I quoted GreatLakesGramma. Sorry for the confusion. My fault. we're good. Quote Prs God, frm whm blssngs flw http://www.zoelifestyle.com/jmccall
ChildofChrist Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 Doesn't just about everyone have "other, underlying health issues" though? Many children have asthma--my son included in those numbers; When my niece was about 2 years old, we took her to a ped-specialist and found that the things she was relentant to eat or drink were triggers for the asthma. He recommended that she be given Vitamin E and C to help build her up. As she became school aged, the asthma was left far behind. I do not know what the newest treatments are but this is probably a place you can start until you find someone that is on-point for helping you. Quote Wakan Tanka Kici Un ~~Child of Christ~~
ChildofChrist Posted September 17, 2009 Posted September 17, 2009 PS to Stan, Poor Piglet. But too cute! Quote Wakan Tanka Kici Un ~~Child of Christ~~
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.