GreatLakesGramma Posted December 28, 2009 Posted December 28, 2009 Don't forget though, that even if you do win it--which I hope you do--you will still need to pay taxes on it. That's correct. Winning such a prize counts as income, and that would probably be taxed on the full retail price. So if you get it, you'll have a painful tax day to face. Insurance will also be higher on a new car, and even higher on a sports car. This car won't be free, even if the dealer lets you have it without paying him anything. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Woody Posted December 28, 2009 Author Posted December 28, 2009 Liz wrote: Quote: And just recently I won a free box of Ding Dongs. Wow. Wish I had won those ding dongs. That would have been more than what I won at the car dealer. Even though it clearly stated i won the car and we called to confirm it ... they said no you just won something in the car contest. Which was a lottery ticket which of course we didn't win anything on either. I knew it ... not enough of you guys were prayin' for me. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Guest Posted December 28, 2009 Posted December 28, 2009 After you pay the taxes on that car, you will still be ahead, whether you drive it, or sell it. Quote
Guest Posted December 28, 2009 Posted December 28, 2009 Several years ago, I guessed the number of jelly beans in a jar correctly and won a bag of goodies from the local library. And just recently I won a free box of Ding Dongs. What did you have to do to win the Ding Dongs? Quote
Guest Posted December 28, 2009 Posted December 28, 2009 I won a candy bar in a math bee in 7th grade math class. I also won a trip to Chicago in a 4-H style show, as a teen. For those who don't know, the style show is where you model the sewing, knitting, or crochet projects you make each year. It was a modeling prize. I went with a group of fellow 4-H teen girls and leaders for a weekend. We did a little touring, shopped at a fabric store in Chicago, and ate dinner in the "Top of the Rock" restaurant in the Prudential building. A few years earlier, I won second place for showmanship in my age class in the 4-H dairy show at the fair. I was presented with a blanket for my heifer by my own father, who was the DHIA milk tester in our county. DHIA stands for Dairy Herd Improvement Association. It's a service for dairy farmers run by Michigan State University, to help them improve their dairy herds. That was my very first year in the 4-H dairy program, so it was quite a surprise that I would come in second in showmanship. My mother's youngest cousin, who was a few years older than me, and had been in the dairy program for a few years already, came in third. And all I actually did was follow her and do exactly what she did. She was just a tiny bit miffed about that, but not really. Especially since I also came in one place before her in the dairy breed show. Or, I should say my heifer came in before hers. I have never won anything like a car though. I've only won awards for my own skills and efforts. Your skills are admirable. Quote
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted December 28, 2009 Members Posted December 28, 2009 After you pay the taxes on that car, you will still be ahead, whether you drive it, or sell it. He didn't win the car, so the tax statement is moot. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Liz Posted December 29, 2009 Posted December 29, 2009 What did you have to do to win the Ding Dongs? Actually I won it off of Facebook. It was one of those "click this button for a chance to win" type things, and my coupon for the free box came in the mail about two weeks later. It was kinda cool. Sorry you didn't win, Uncle Red, maybe next time. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Members phkrause Posted December 29, 2009 Members Posted December 29, 2009 Originally Posted By: rudywoofs Liz wrote: Quote: And just recently I won a free box of Ding Dongs. Wow. Wish I had won those ding dongs. That would have been more than what I won at the car dealer. Even though it clearly stated i won the car and we called to confirm it ... they said no you just won something in the car contest. Which was a lottery ticket which of course we didn't win anything on either. I knew it ... not enough of you guys were prayin' for me. It really rots doesn't Redwood. Hope you didn't go there really believing that you were going to win anything? pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Guest Posted December 29, 2009 Posted December 29, 2009 I've never won so much as a box of Ding Dongs. Quote
Members phkrause Posted December 29, 2009 Members Posted December 29, 2009 I've never won so much as a box of Ding Dongs. Oh you poor thing. To come to think of it, I've never won a box of ding dongs either. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.