Woody Posted February 11, 2010 Posted February 11, 2010 With record snow levels around ... let's hear your snow stories. Perhaps you could even include a photo or two. Here's my story. I will title it 'The good neighbor and the bad neighbor. The Good neighbor (across the street from me) makes sure I can get in and out of my driveway. The man of the house either comes over or sends his 10 year olds to shovel. This year the snow was too much to handle. And this was partly due to "The Bad Neighbor" who lives beside me. The "bad" neighbor was 'bad' because he snow blowed 'his' snow over on my drive and it really piled up. I had to hire a man with a plow to come and take care of it. He was disgusted by what had been done to us. Here's a photo of my house: Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted February 11, 2010 Author Posted February 11, 2010 Yes. It is for the time being. But more snow is forcasted. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
karl Posted February 11, 2010 Posted February 11, 2010 I think you need to email Al Gore and complain that you had depended on Gorebal Warming this winter and that this is just too much to handle. Here is his spokesperson's email address: Kalee@carthagegroup.com Quote
Moderators lazarus Posted February 11, 2010 Moderators Posted February 11, 2010 A few pics from Maryland 1. Entrance to our development was blocked due some fallen trees 2. Digging out a path at church before the plow came. 3. 2.5 ft deep but still a beautiful day. Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
Woody Posted February 11, 2010 Author Posted February 11, 2010 How do you rate Laz ... getting blue skies. Haven't seen that in a long time. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted February 11, 2010 Members Posted February 11, 2010 Redwood, sorry woody , I would post pictures of one of the biggest nor'easters ever here in Mass! But it was back in '78. I had about 3 feet of snow, probably more because the guy who came and plowed our driveway, backed in to the driveway with his pickup truck and he disappeared for a few minutes because the snow was higher than his truck. But I have a number of pictures from last years ice storm which was the worst ice storm here since I believe '51. And I think they said that it was worse than that one. When I get a chance I will post them. I have to bring them into PS and reduce them in size to be able to post them, so it might take a while. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted February 12, 2010 Author Posted February 12, 2010 Great pk. I would love to see those photos. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted February 12, 2010 Author Posted February 12, 2010 I heard on the news today that this is the first time in recorded history that there is measureable snow on the ground in ALL 50 States. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted February 12, 2010 Author Posted February 12, 2010 I believe that Hawaii always has snow up on the Volcano during the winter. I could be wrong. But I am sure it is not unusual. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted February 12, 2010 Author Posted February 12, 2010 Although Hawaii is located in the tropics, it contains high mountains which receive snowfall every winter. On the Big Island of Hawaii, Mauna Kea (13,796' / 4205m) and Mauna Loa (13,660' / 4163m) get at least some snow every year, usually between October and March, although snow can fall any time from August to May. On the island of Maui, Haleakala (10,023' / 3055m) occasionally gets a little bit of snow. Of these three, only Mauna Kea has a road to the top (accessible to four-wheel-drive vehicles). When there's a big snowfall, residents of the Big Island drive to the top in pickup trucks, where they ski, snowboard, and build snowmen, then fill the beds of the pickup trucks with snow and drive back down to sea level to continue their snow play in the heat. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted February 12, 2010 Members Posted February 12, 2010 I think you're right about Hawaii's volcano, Woody. It's high enough to have snow on it year round. The picture of your house looks how mine looked last winter when we had so much snow (and the national news didn't even bother to mention it - but I was housebound for almost 2 weeks due to all the snow).. Someone came and plowed out my driveway for $10. It was worth it because my driveway is long and wide. Laz, your pictures of Maryland are beautiful!!!!!!! Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted February 12, 2010 Author Posted February 12, 2010 $10 ? Wow. I had to pay $75 and the guy gave us a discount because he felt bad about what our neighbors did to us. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted February 12, 2010 Members Posted February 12, 2010 $75???? WOW!!! You got taken to the cleaners. But at least you got it cleared off. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted February 12, 2010 Author Posted February 12, 2010 Well ... we have about one hundred feet of driveway length. He told us he usually charges $100 for what he did. I guess it must be one dollar for each foot. :) Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted February 12, 2010 Author Posted February 12, 2010 Just heard on Fox that Dallas has just recently received 12 1/2 inches of snow. Glad I don't live there. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted February 12, 2010 Author Posted February 12, 2010 Quote: you for right Hey dgrimm. Ain't that always the case? :) Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted February 12, 2010 Members Posted February 12, 2010 Quote: you for right Hey dgrimm. Ain't that always the case? Man woody did you take that quote from dgrimm out of context. :):):):):) pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted February 13, 2010 Author Posted February 13, 2010 Quote: Man woody did you take that quote from dgrimm out of context. :):):):):) I don't understand. Is there ANYone here who would disagree with him when he says I am far 'right'. I am one of the most far right folks here. Say it ain't so. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted February 13, 2010 Members Posted February 13, 2010 Quote: Man woody did you take that quote from dgrimm out of context. :):):):):) I don't understand. Is there ANYone here who would disagree with him when he says I am far 'right'. I am one of the most far right folks here. Say it ain't so. It ain't sooooo. :):) pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
olger Posted February 13, 2010 Posted February 13, 2010 Blizzard of 1978. Also known as "White Death" and the Winter Hurricane. There’s snowfall and there are winter storms. Then there are blizzards of the century — when it snows so hard it snows sideways. These are the times nature unleashes such a furious mix of snow, cold, and wind that it becomes a benchmark by which every future blizzard gets measured. Such was the Blizzard of 1978, the most powerful winter storm to hit Ohio & Massachusets in the 20th century. It struck parts of the Midwest and the Ohio Valley 32 years ago. 70-Mph winds plunged the temperatures to 60-below zero wind chill. We woke at 4 AM that Thursday morning to a strange roar as the blizzard hit. When it was light enough to see outside we were disappointed that we could see nothing. Just nothing but a sideways wall of white. People who got stuck on roadways would set off on foot to find shelter. They would be found weeks (and even months) later face down in the snow. The severe wind chill would kill them after the whiteout disoriented them. In Toledo, the barometric pressure plunged to a record 28.28 in the early morning of Jan. 26 as the entire region got whited-out overnight. Life came to a standstill. The entire State of Ohio was closed for three days, including all interstates & airports. As a tough young kid of 18, I went out to get wood, and finally made it back to the house gasping for breath and looking for shelter. It was real bad, surreal from the windows, and fatal to be caught out in it. Hope to never see another one. olger Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Members phkrause Posted February 13, 2010 Members Posted February 13, 2010 I know what you mean olger, mass closed down for a week, that also includes New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, not sure how much Vermont was effected. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted February 16, 2010 Author Posted February 16, 2010 Did you hear about the man who built an igloo with cable TV? He had friends over to his igloo for the Super Bowl game. He was interviewed on Fox News today. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Dr. Rich Posted February 16, 2010 Posted February 16, 2010 What's colder, being with some friends watching the super bowl in an igloo, or watching the super bowl alone in your house while making your wife angry with you? Quote
Woody Posted February 16, 2010 Author Posted February 16, 2010 Sorry to hear you have an angry wife. It can be a bear to deal with a wife who doesn't 'get' it. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.