Woody Posted February 10, 2011 Posted February 10, 2011 It's interesting how each individual local church can make up their own standards on the reasons for disfellowship. The Church Manual is SO broad that you could disfellowship someone for most any reason. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Dr. Shane Posted February 10, 2011 Posted February 10, 2011 Pants are probably better for colder weather but since I live in the tropics, I really feel that it is a sexist world that doesn't allow me to wear a skirt. If society would accept me in skirts, I would rarely wear anything else. Those have to be some of the coolest and most comfortable clothing in warm weather. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
SivartM Posted February 10, 2011 Posted February 10, 2011 So... to follow some comments on here, let the reasonable man answer this.. Did Jesus every were pants? Should we follow his example? Here's a reasonable man to tell us all about it: Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
Lauralea Posted February 13, 2011 Posted February 13, 2011 Move to Tonga. Quote Behold what manner of love the Father hath given unto us.
Johann Posted August 16, 2013 Posted August 16, 2013 In one of our churches it was said that Ellen White disapproved of wearing a red dress? Is that right? Quote
LifeHiscost Posted August 16, 2013 Posted August 16, 2013 Some years ago the red dress was alluded to from EGW writings but was not gender specific, other than addressing what a woman shouldn't wear, I believe re: gaudy apparel. OTOH, this for cultural argument. "“A woman must not put on men’s clothing, and a man must not wear women’s clothing. Anyone who does this is detestable in the sight of the Lord your God." Deuteronomy 22:5 NLT I recall my son in law some years ago cut his hair short, after being address as "ma'am" when being served by a gas station attendant. God cares! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
M. T. Cross Posted August 17, 2013 Posted August 17, 2013 Every single comment I can come up with for this thread is inapropriate for these forums...... So I am just gonna say that I like summer dresses on women. Quote
Moderators LynnDel Posted August 17, 2013 Moderators Posted August 17, 2013 In one of our churches it was said that Ellen White disapproved of wearing a red dress? Is that right? I believe it was exactly the opposite, Johann. I toured through Elmshaven a few times when Ellen White's granddaughter, Grace Jacques, was guiding the tours, and she said each time, “I recall a young nurse who had only a few clothes, and so Grandmother gave her three dress lengths of material, one of red, one blue, one a golden color. She told this young lady, as she did several young women, that she should have at least one red dress." I went to this site to confirm what I had heard Grace say: http://www.whiteestate.org/books/mol/chapt9.html Quote LD
Johann Posted August 17, 2013 Posted August 17, 2013 The problem is that so many people are quoting Ellen White where there is nothing to quote. Quote
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted August 17, 2013 Administrators Posted August 17, 2013 I went to this site to confirm what I had heard Grace say: http://www.whiteestate.org/books/mol/chapt9.html Well worth a careful read... I really appreciated her pleas to use common sense. Sadly it seems not so common... On the color of dress, it is almost as if many assume an absence of color in her wardrobe and others of her day because they forget that the pictures they see are all in black and white. Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Neil D Posted August 17, 2013 Posted August 17, 2013 I went to this site to confirm what I had heard Grace say: http://www.whiteestate.org/books/mol/chapt9.html I wonder what an "array of quaker guns" is....... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Windsor Posted August 17, 2013 Posted August 17, 2013 OTOH, this for cultural argument. "“A woman must not put on men’s clothing, and a man must not wear women’s clothing. Anyone who does this is detestable in the sight of the Lord your God." Deuteronomy 22:5 NLT The only problem with applying that text to women wearing pants is that in today's society, 99% of people consider pants to be clothing for either gender. On the other hand, 99% of people consider a dress to be a woman's clothing, so a man should not wear a dress. Quote Remember Adventists Online?
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted August 17, 2013 Members Posted August 17, 2013 Originally Posted By: Tom Wetmore I went to this site to confirm what I had heard Grace say: http://www.whiteestate.org/books/mol/chapt9.html I wonder what an "array of quaker guns" is....... I read that, too...an exquisite use of EGW's dry humor!!! Quote: While in Italy, 1886, she was writing about the ministerial personnel in Torre Pellice. The minister in charge was great on planning, but was accomplishing little. Ellen White depicted his efforts as “the array of Quaker guns.” Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
monica Posted August 17, 2013 Posted August 17, 2013 The only problem with applying that text to women wearing pants is that in today's society, 99% of people consider pants to be clothing for either gender. On the other hand, 99% of people consider a dress to be a woman's clothing, so a man should not wear a dress. Good point! A few hundred years ago pants weren´t men´s clothing either. Quote
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted August 17, 2013 Administrators Posted August 17, 2013 The expression "Quaker Guns" had its origin in the American Revolution - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaker_Gun And for any confusion about pants, there are men's pants and women's pant. The cut and fit are different.. I think it would be fairly obvious to even a casual observer upon seeing a woman in pants that it is a woman. Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Neil D Posted August 17, 2013 Posted August 17, 2013 Originally Posted By: Windsor The only problem with applying that text to women wearing pants is that in today's society, 99% of people consider pants to be clothing for either gender. On the other hand, 99% of people consider a dress to be a woman's clothing, so a man should not wear a dress. Good point! A few hundred years ago pants weren´t men´s clothing either. Amazingly enough, I have found out, thru communication with the opposite gender, that pants are warmer than dresses... Remember, don't let common sense get in the way of your biblical sense... Also, it occurs to me that women used to wear "pantaloons" which were a form of pants worn under dresses, especially puffy dresses at formal balls....kept a woman warm[read that as warm, not "hot"] It occurs to me that when Jesus was about, He didn't wear pants, but a long robe...and so did the women, only some of them were slow to migrate to pantaloons...If during Jesus' life time, men wore long robes, and women did too, and Jesus had long hair, so did the women, how did one tell apart the women from the men...? Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Moderators Gerr Posted August 17, 2013 Moderators Posted August 17, 2013 In one of our churches it was said that Ellen White disapproved of wearing a red dress? Is that right? I found no reference to a red dress in my EGW cdrom. Quote
nuff sed Posted August 17, 2013 Posted August 17, 2013 My wife has stated that that famous book "Sister White Says" actually states just the opposite!!!! Nuff Sed Quote
Moderators Gerr Posted August 18, 2013 Moderators Posted August 18, 2013 BTW, can Adventist women wear pants? They certainly can, but some certainly shouldn't! Some are so tight and revealing I don't know how they ever got in them! Quote
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted August 18, 2013 Moderators Posted August 18, 2013 Quote: I believe it was exactly the opposite, Johann. I toured through Elmshaven a few times when Ellen White's granddaughter, Grace Jacques, was guiding the tours, and she said each time, “I recall a young nurse who had only a few clothes, and so Grandmother gave her three dress lengths of material, one of red, one blue, one a golden color. She told this young lady, as she did several young women, that she should have at least one red dress." The above is the truth. Note, she told one woman that she should have one red dress. EGW did not say that every woman should wear a red dress. Although some have said that the above was a charge of EGW for every woman to wear red. Nonsense. EGW was a woman of sense. She would neither proscribe nor prescribe a red dress for every woman. Quote Gregory
cricket Posted August 18, 2013 Posted August 18, 2013 BTW, can Adventist women wear pants? They certainly can, but some certainly shouldn't! Some are so tight and revealing I don't know how they ever got in them! Same goes for men. It's best for all people to wear clothes that fit well and are not a hindrance to the tasks they are to perform. I've never had a need to wear a dress--red, or otherwise. Quote
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted August 18, 2013 Members Posted August 18, 2013 at least women don't wear their pants sagging halfway down their legs like a dirty diaper... Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Ted Oplinger Posted August 18, 2013 Posted August 18, 2013 Originally Posted By: Windsor The only problem with applying that text to women wearing pants is that in today's society, 99% of people consider pants to be clothing for either gender. On the other hand, 99% of people consider a dress to be a woman's clothing, so a man should not wear a dress. Good point! A few hundred years ago pants weren´t men´s clothing either. In truth...there are places in the world today where men DO wear skirts - and this excludes the robes of the Middle East cultures.... Kilts, anyone? Blessings, Quote "As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17 "The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne "The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan
Johann Posted August 18, 2013 Posted August 18, 2013 My mother lived till she was 97. I don´t think she ever owned a per of pans. Just prior to her day women rode a horse with both legs on the same side. When she rode a horse she had a special dress so she could sit in a saddle. She had a female bike at a time when no women would ride a male bike. Quote
cricket Posted August 18, 2013 Posted August 18, 2013 Interesting, Johann! My grandmother will turn 90 in 4 months. While she has owned at least one dress, it was very, very rare that she'd ever wear one (in my 40+ years I can't recall a time when she did, nor a photograph of her with one on). Even in elementary school the girls did not wear dresses. It simply was not reasonable for girls who lived in the country to wear dresses all the time. There was a lot of farm work to be done and wearing coveralls made so much more sense. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.