nuff sed Posted March 28, 2011 Posted March 28, 2011 Gail asked me to post the story I told her today so here goes. I have been having Arthritis problems partly due to age (According to my doctor), Lower bad pain, both hips and left shoulder... About two weeks ago my left hip began hurting with a vengence. My son, Rick, came over to mow the lawn and decided that 'enough was enough"..... He is an ordained minister and chaplain of two SDA nursing homes. He said, "I think that it is about time that we had a prayer session to get rid of the pain'. I said "OK"... He asked me the level of pain from 0-10 and I said "About 7".... I sat back in the overstuffed chair; he placed his hands on both my shoulder and hip told me to relax and even take a nap if I wanted to. Then he closed his eyes and started to pray inaudibly. After about 20 minutes he asked me, "How do you feel now?" I said, "about a 5'. He said "OK" let's keep at it... He prayed for 45 minutes until the pain was gone... He said, "If it comes back just tell it to go away". He also said, "I've done this before but I don't talk about it much". Nuff sed Quote
Woody Posted March 28, 2011 Posted March 28, 2011 I'm glad 4 U Nuff Sed Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted March 28, 2011 Members Posted March 28, 2011 Gail asked me to post the story I told her today so here goes. I have been having Arthritis problems partly due to age (According to my doctor), Lower bad pain, both hips and left shoulder... About two weeks ago my left hip began hurting with a vengence. My son, Rick, came over to mow the lawn and decided that 'enough was enough"..... He is an ordained minister and chaplain of two SDA nursing homes. He said, "I think that it is about time that we had a prayer session to get rid of the pain'. I said "OK"... He asked me the level of pain from 0-10 and I said "About 7".... I sat back in the overstuffed chair; he placed his hands on both my shoulder and hip told me to relax and even take a nap if I wanted to. Then he closed his eyes and started to pray inaudibly. After about 20 minutes he asked me, "How do you feel now?" I said, "about a 5'. He said "OK" let's keep at it... He prayed for 45 minutes until the pain was gone... He said, "If it comes back just tell it to go away". He also said, "I've done this before but I don't talk about it much". Nuff sed Praise the Lord nuf sed Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Administrators Gail Posted March 28, 2011 Administrators Posted March 28, 2011 I know how hard it is to suffer chronic pain. I have headaches that come and go and I wimp it out. But I know people who suffer continual pain and I SO feel for them. Bless your heart, prayer can't hurt! And I praise the Lord for the respite in your achiness, nuff sed! I hope it's for the long term! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Woody Posted March 28, 2011 Posted March 28, 2011 Quote: Bless your heart, prayer can't hurt! Maybe this was intended solely for Nuff Sed. But I don't think that this can be a universal maxim. For I think that for those with chronic conditions ... it just gives false hope and weariness when the prayers given DO NOT HELP. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Administrators Gail Posted March 29, 2011 Administrators Posted March 29, 2011 Quote: Bless your heart, prayer can't hurt! Maybe this was intended solely for Nuff Sed. But I don't think that this can be a universal maxim. For I think that for those with chronic conditions ... it just gives false hope and weariness when the prayers given DO NOT HELP. I guess, if what you want from God is specifically to have Him take away your pain... that may not be what He has in store for you in that situation. But when it does happen in that way, there is no need to give up. Some people recover from their illnesses, some don't. But God can bring good out of every situation. No harm in asking, I always say. :) Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Woody Posted March 29, 2011 Posted March 29, 2011 Quote: I guess, if what you want from God is specifically to have Him take away your pain I think Divine Healing is rare. But that is what the prayers are for those with chronic pain. The suffers themselves no longer pray for healing. They know better. It's the well intended believers that come by and think THEIR prayer will do the trick. They are the ones praying that God will take away the pain. And it just gives either false hope or weariness for the sufferer. And eventually it leads to a total loss of belief in prayers since those that want to 'help' ... ONLY pray for healing. And that doesn't happen. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Administrators Gail Posted March 29, 2011 Administrators Posted March 29, 2011 I think Divine Healing is rare. But that is what the prayers are for those with chronic pain. The suffers themselves no longer pray for healing. They know better. It's the well intended believers that come by and think THEIR prayer will do the trick. They are the ones praying that God will take away the pain. And it just gives either false hope or weariness for the sufferer. And eventually it leads to a total loss of belief in prayers since those that want to 'help' ... ONLY pray for healing. And that doesn't happen. Sounds like the voice of experience ((( woody ))) When people are believing in THEIR prayers, where is their focus? Is it like the disciples who could not cast out the demons in Jesus' time? I especially like your last paragraph where you say that the only prayer offered is one for healing. Very often we do decide whqat God should do and then dictate that to Him, as if we know what is best. We most certainly often know what we WANT. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
skyblue888 Posted March 29, 2011 Posted March 29, 2011 "God's healing power runs all through nature. If a tree is cut, if a human being is wounded or breaks a bone, nature begins at once to repair the injury. Even before the need exists, the healing agencies are in readiness; and as soon as a part is wounded, every energy is bent to the work of restoration. So it is in the spiritual realm. Before sin created the need, God had provided the remedy. Every soul that yields to temptation is wounded, bruised by the adversary; but wherever there is sin, there is the Saviour. It is Christ's work 'to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, to set a liberty them that are bruised.'" Education, p.113. Doesn't that tell us that if we believed that God's healing power is at work the moment a tree is cut or the moment a human being is wounded or breaks a bone, our attitude would be dramatically changed toward Him and our faith strengthened? Knowing that the Lord is immediately at work to repair the injury or to begin the work of restoration, before any prayer ascends to Heaven! Acknowledging this will go a long way in strengthening our faith for the Lord is the Saviour of all men but especially those who believe this. sky Quote "The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.
Woody Posted March 29, 2011 Posted March 29, 2011 Quote: Acknowledging this will go a long way in strengthening our faith simply not true Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted March 29, 2011 Posted March 29, 2011 Quote: I especially like your last paragraph where you say that the only prayer offered is one for healing. Very often we do decide whqat God should do and then dictate that to Him, as if we know what is best. We most certainly often know what we WANT. I believe U got something there. Excellent Gail. If ONLY we would instead pray for God's will and for God loving encouragement through it all. Even through the UNanswered prayers of the Saints. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
cricket Posted March 29, 2011 Posted March 29, 2011 So glad you're feeling better now, 'nuff sed! Quote
skyblue888 Posted March 29, 2011 Posted March 29, 2011 "God's healing power runs all through nature. If a tree is cut, if a human being is wounded or breaks a bone, nature begins at once to repair the injury. Even before the need exists, the healing agencies are in readiness; and as soon as a part is wounded, every energy is bent to the work of restoration. So it is in the spiritual realm. Before sin created the need, God had provided the remedy. Every soul that yields to temptation is wounded, bruised by the adversary; but wherever there is sin, there is the Saviour. It is Christ's work 'to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, to set a liberty them that are bruised.'" Education, p.113. Doesn't that tell us that if we believed that God's healing power is at work the moment a tree is cut or the moment a human being is wounded or breaks a bone, our attitude would be dramatically changed toward Him and our faith strengthened? Knowing that the Lord is immediately at work to repair the injury or to begin the work of restoration, before any prayer ascends to Heaven! Acknowledging this will go a long way in strengthening our faith for the Lord is the Saviour of all men but especially those who believe this. sky ___________________________________ Acknowledging this will go a long way in strengthening our faith. sky simply not true Woody ____________________ Just think of this for a moment. God's healing power which runs all through nature is no impersonal essence. Take a listen: "Wherever we turn, in the physical, the mental, or the spiritual realm; in whatever we behold, apart from the blight of sin, this knowledge (knowledge of God) is revealed. Whatever line of investigation we pursue, with a sincere purpose to arrive at truth, we are brought in touch with the unseen, mighty Intelligence that is working in and through all. The mind of man is brought into communion with the mind of God, the finite with the Infinite. The effect of such communion on body and mind and soul is beyond estimate." Education, p.14. *parenthesis supplied This unseen, mighty Intelligence that is working in and through all is none other then the Third Person of the Godhead. "The greatiness of God is to us incomprehensible. 'The Lord's throne is in Heaven' (Ps.11:4); yet by His Spirit He is everywhere present. He has an intimate knowledge of and a personal interest in all the works of His hands." Education, p.132. This is certainly food for thought. sky Quote "The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.
fccool Posted March 29, 2011 Posted March 29, 2011 While divine healing is a great thing, I thin people leave the doctors out of the picture what it comes praising God for healing their bodies. I'm fairly certain that without a certain doctor from University of Miami, I would never have graduated from college... or walk without a cain. Quote
skyblue888 Posted March 29, 2011 Posted March 29, 2011 "Christ is the true Head of the medical profession. The Chief Physician, He is at the side of every God-fearing practitioner who works to relieve human suffering. While the physician uses nature's remedies for physical disease, he should point his patients to Him who can relieve the maladies of both the soul and the body. That which physicians can only aid in doing, Christ accomplishes. They endeavor to assist nature's work of healing; Christ Himself is the healer. The physician seeks to preserve life; Christ imparts life." Ministry of Healing, p.111. sky Quote "The merits of His sacrifice are sufficient to present to the Father in our behalf." S.C.36.
Administrators Gail Posted March 29, 2011 Administrators Posted March 29, 2011 While divine healing is a great thing, I think people leave the doctors out of the picture what it comes praising God for healing their bodies. I'm fairly certain that without a certain doctor from University of Miami, I would never have graduated from college... or walk without a cain. When I pray for people's maladies I include the doctors and care givers. An effective caregiver can be an angel from God to that suffering person! Also, when something good but unexplainable happens, God can (and should) be praised. Or perhaps it's not the actual healing but the demeanor of the suffering person, a courage or patience that is superhuman. I pray for God's power to be made discernable to all those involved- family and caregivers as well as the sufferer. I remember listening to a pastor talk about his work in hospice. He said that when a dying person surrendered his all to the Lord, that person would "glow". The other day I visited my 92-year-old friend whose wife is currently in hospital. I thought to check up on him and offer to run errands for him, etc. He has cancer and his wife has cancer- both of them. As I was leaving, I had a little prayer and then he followed. All he said was, "Thank you, Lord, for sending someone to help me." It's pretty humbling when you consider that you might be part of another person's prayer answer! Point being- you just never know. We are all in this together. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Members phkrause Posted March 30, 2011 Members Posted March 30, 2011 When I pray for people's maladies I include the doctors and care givers. An effective caregiver can be an angel from God to that suffering person! Also, when something good but unexplainable happens, God can (and should) be praised. Or perhaps it's not the actual healing but the demeanor of the suffering person, a courage or patience that is superhuman. I pray for God's power to be made discernable to all those involved- family and caregivers as well as the sufferer. I remember listening to a pastor talk about his work in hospice. He said that when a dying person surrendered his all to the Lord, that person would "glow". The other day I visited my 92-year-old friend whose wife is currently in hospital. I thought to check up on him and offer to run errands for him, etc. He has cancer and his wife has cancer- both of them. As I was leaving, I had a little prayer and then he followed. All he said was, "Thank you, Lord, for sending someone to help me." It's pretty humbling when you consider that you might be part of another person's prayer answer! Point being- you just never know. We are all in this together. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
nuff sed Posted March 30, 2011 Author Posted March 30, 2011 I posted my note for the encouragement of others.. It's interesting how many 'naysayers' we have. Nuff sed Quote
Members phkrause Posted March 30, 2011 Members Posted March 30, 2011 I posted my note for the encouragement of others.. It's interesting how many 'naysayers' we have. Nuff sed Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Paula Posted March 30, 2011 Posted March 30, 2011 Hi 'nuff sed, I read with interest and I praise the Lord for your answered prayer. It is always a blessing and a little foretaste of heaven to have ones prayer answered by God. Having said that... I have been praying for God to heal my husband for 15 years now. My husband has been praying for God to heal him for over 30 years. It hasn't happened, and I don't know that it ever will. My husband suffers from chronic depression. He refuses to take medication or go for counseling. No medication because, he say's "God communicates with us through the mind, and I will not put drugs that alter my mind into my body". "God knows my need, He knows that I put my trust in HIM, not in humans, and if He wants to He can take this away." "I will not turn to a Human for help, I will only go to my God". Of course, God gives humans knowledge to counsel and to make medications and treatments, but he refuses to see that. And so he continues to pray and ask. And we continue to live with the consequences of his choice. Does God answer prayer? Yes. Does God heal? Yes. But not always. And faith is still believing in Him, still believing He is in control AND that He is Love, even when he doesn't heal. Even though He could if He wanted to. It's not easy. I've had my "fights" with God. Sometimes I think it's cruel that God could heal him, but doesn't. Even when the depression causes him difficulties in his spiritual life. Even when he cries and cries and asks God why he hates him, why abandons him, why he rejects him. He does not feel Gods love for him, because the disease doesn't allow him to. He feels only silence and disdain from God. He knows in his mind that this isn't true, that God must love him... but the disease doesn't allow him to feel it. And yet he remains faithful and loyal. And yet God doesn't heal him. It's hard to understand. But in the end, God IS love, God IS all-powerful and God ONLY DOES whats best for His children. Someday we will understand. Quote
Woody Posted March 30, 2011 Posted March 30, 2011 God's hands are tied. He simply can't heal everyone that wants to be healed because of the Great Controversy. WE as Christians are called to suffer. If God healed all good Christians because they asked ... Satan would cry foul. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
LifeHiscost Posted March 30, 2011 Posted March 30, 2011 It's pretty humbling when you consider that you might be part of another person's prayer answer! Point being- you just never know. We are all in this together. The truth is that for now, God will use us no matter whose side we have chosen to be on. Whether we remain in this together is determined by the One we have chosen to be with. God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Moderators John317 Posted March 30, 2011 Moderators Posted March 30, 2011 Doctors and the others in the medical profession are an important part of God's healing of the sick. No doctor can actually heal us; only God can do this. But God gives them wisdom to know what to do. We need to pray for the doctors and nurses, and I know God answers those prayers. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
LifeHiscost Posted March 30, 2011 Posted March 30, 2011 No harm in asking, I always say. "Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures." James 4:1-3 NKJV "Only it must be in faith that he asks with no wavering (no hesitating, no doubting). For the one who wavers (hesitates, doubts) is like the billowing surge out at sea that is blown hither and thither and tossed by the wind. For truly, let not such a person imagine that he will receive anything [he asks for] from the Lord, [For being as he is] a man of two minds (hesitating, dubious, irresolute), [he is] unstable and unreliable and uncertain about everything [he thinks, feels, decides]." James 1:6-8 AMP brackets parenthesis their's LHC God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
LifeHiscost Posted March 30, 2011 Posted March 30, 2011 Quote: Acknowledging this will go a long way in strengthening our faith simply not true I would suppose it is Who I wish to believe. "“I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you." God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.