Administrators Gail Posted June 6, 2011 Administrators Posted June 6, 2011 Anyone want to address why this happens? (What ClubV12 is referring to) I am an EGW supporter. Her work has done nothing but enrich my life about many topics and her counsel has saved me in varying trying circumstances. The reason, ClubV12, that so many are confrontational when discussing EGW is because many people have suffered from religious abuse, having had well-intentioned but less-than-tactful church members try to coerce, belittle and shame them. We as a people have not treated others as Christ does. That is one of the BIG reasons that I myself try to point others to Him. Jesus was the silent Lamb that suffered and was slain as well as the Lion of the tribe of Judah. There are a number of reasons why this happens. My inner feeling is that because her work is more precise than the Bible that some people can grasp it better instead of wrestling with the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit like Jacob until things become clear. We have discussed on her how being "right" becomes consuming for some. There is more law than grace, more letter than Spirit in their message. Others have been so very hurt that they are bitter. They toss out ALL of her, like the baby with the bathwater. With many of those who have been intolerant and rigid, on either side, I challenge both to come to the Cross and be broken not by sinful, self-serving humans, but by the One who sees our potential and as one beloved of God, that to redeem cost His precious blood. That's my take on it. I'd like to hear what coloured Miz's opinion... I've thought a number of times that there must be a story behind his attitude toward her. I'm interested and although I don't agree, I understand. There are those here who are pro and those who are con EGW. But for the sake of each individual soul and their growth we need to allow them some room and space. That is why LOVE is what the laws hang on, and LOVE is what inspires grace. If we are not showing love, we miss the point completely. It's a tough lesson for me as well as everyone here. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Administrators Gail Posted June 6, 2011 Administrators Posted June 6, 2011 ClubV12, I do not think of you as worshipping an idol. You remind me very much of myself, just an excited believer. For those of us who were not brought up in the church, her writings are an awesome blessing for those who beforehand just didn't know how to live. I feel that we must not rob that from those who are blessed by her and by her writings have grown in their Christian walk. I really feel that it is imperative to build and not destroy. Otherwise I fear that Satan gains both sides. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted June 7, 2011 Author Members Posted June 7, 2011 Hey, all you folks that don't like Ellen White and are CONSTANTLY making subtle disparaging remarks and taking "pot shots" at those who do believe, knock it off! Stop with the "goofy" comments. If you don't believe in her, just say so. I DO believe in her and am not afraid to say so. Of more concern to me though is the subtle and shrouded in mystery attacks on the Lords messenger. At once, appearing to support her and appearing to be a Seventh-day Adventist and then posting something that is far removed from any "normal" SDA doctrine or belief. I find that extra ordinarily cowardly. While I appreciate Gails "diplomacy" on this issue, this fact remains. The negative comments against Ellen White AND those who express their lack of faith in her far out weigh the postive comments and expressions of those who do. The manner in which those comments are made (name calling, worshiping idols, etc.) aint right. I don't care who you are, newbie, life long SDA, or whatever, some things aint right. And somebdody needs to call you guys on it! I have always gone out of my way to stand up for the "oppressed", in this case, it just happens to be those who believe in and Ellen White herself. It's become clear to me when I hear the phrase "the bible and the bible alone" thats CODE for "Ellen White" is a false prophet. I think it's code for: "I'm a Pharisee and have need of nothing and nobody. Look how great I am, I can figure this out all by myself." The ego's in this regard are off the chart! "I didn't accuse you of anything." Yes, you did, and I am offended by it. chill, dude. NOBODY has said EGW is a FALSE PROPHET. YOU are reading things into what people write. There is no secret code. I call it as I see it. I did NOT accuse you of anything except reading things into what people write, and claiming they, in fact, said it. YOU, in fact, were the one who called ME "goofy" - I did NOT call YOU that. So...take your offended soul and re-read what I wrote. You're going into histrionics for no reason that I can see. Ego? Et tu, Brutus? Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Members phkrause Posted June 7, 2011 Members Posted June 7, 2011 Anyone want to address why this happens? (What ClubV12 is referring to) I am an EGW supporter. Her work has done nothing but enrich my life about many topics and her counsel has saved me in varying trying circumstances. The reason, ClubV12, that so many are confrontational when discussing EGW is because many people have suffered from religious abuse, having had well-intentioned but less-than-tactful church members try to coerce, belittle and shame them. We as a people have not treated others as Christ does. That is one of the BIG reasons that I myself try to point others to Him. Jesus was the silent Lamb that suffered and was slain as well as the Lion of the tribe of Judah. There are a number of reasons why this happens. My inner feeling is that because her work is more precise than the Bible that some people can grasp it better instead of wrestling with the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit like Jacob until things become clear. We have discussed on her how being "right" becomes consuming for some. There is more law than grace, more letter than Spirit in their message. Others have been so very hurt that they are bitter. They toss out ALL of her, like the baby with the bathwater. With many of those who have been intolerant and rigid, on either side, I challenge both to come to the Cross and be broken not by sinful, self-serving humans, but by the One who sees our potential and as one beloved of God, that to redeem cost His precious blood. That's my take on it. I'd like to hear what coloured Miz's opinion... I've thought a number of times that there must be a story behind his attitude toward her. I'm interested and although I don't agree, I understand. There are those here who are pro and those who are con EGW. But for the sake of each individual soul and their growth we need to allow them some room and space. That is why LOVE is what the laws hang on, and LOVE is what inspires grace. If we are not showing love, we miss the point completely. It's a tough lesson for me as well as everyone here. Excellent post Gail, I was tormented with EGW said this or said that. But this never bother me. For me I never let others dictate to me who I should not except or except. I also had a very hard time reading her stuff, it reminded him of the KJV of the Bible, which I also couldn't stand reading. But than one day I started reading the GC, now that book I couldn't put down. My love for history kicked in, how accurate it was, it helped fill in Daniel and Revelation very nicely. I love that book. The others I still have issue's with. She's very hard to take with her directness. The other book that I enjoyed was Counsels on Diets and Foods. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.