cricket Posted June 17, 2011 Posted June 17, 2011 Is there a way to make a distinction here at Club Adventist so that visitors and new members might know which pastors are Seventh-day Adventist pastors, and which belong to another faith? I realize that this site is an unOfficial site, but it would be nice to know which pastors share the same faith as many visitors and which do not. Quote
ClubV12 Posted June 17, 2011 Posted June 17, 2011 I wish there was! It's taken me some time to figure out where some people stand, not just Pastors, but regular folks. Nothing wrong with being anonymous. But when someone appears to be an SDA, has a lot of knowledge about the issues, but is fairly consistent posting "anti-SDA" stuff,,, it causes a lot of confusion. Quote
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted June 17, 2011 Administrators Posted June 17, 2011 That is why I wish everyone would post in their own real name and not use nick-names, screen names, pseudonyms, aliases or whatever. Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Twilight II Posted June 17, 2011 Posted June 17, 2011 Problem is we get "internet stalkers" on boards. Quote
Dr. Rich Posted June 17, 2011 Posted June 17, 2011 I would tend to agree. My name is Richard Humpal I am a 66 year old third generation SDA who lives near Loma Linda. Ever since being in a special sabbath school class at Calimesa CA who over 17 years ago in an effort to find the real truth regarding prophecy, has uncovered the deception that Satan has used to destroy the gospel of the Kingdom of Heaven. Quote
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted June 17, 2011 Administrators Posted June 17, 2011 Problem is we get "internet stalkers" on boards. In the many years I have been posting on internet boards in my own name, I have felt no fear of, nor experienced any repercussions from these so-called stalkers. I can't worry about the phantoms of the internet opera... Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Members phkrause Posted June 17, 2011 Members Posted June 17, 2011 I have to agree with Tom. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
cricket Posted June 17, 2011 Author Posted June 17, 2011 Using one's real name or using a moniker doesn't really bother me. It the use of titles (e.g., Doctor, Pastor, Reverend, Rabbi, Judge, President, et cetera), when they are not truly merited, or would be confused within the realm of the forum, are what bothers me. The use of legal name, for example, Tom Wetmore tells me nothing more than the moniker ClubV12. And in all honesty, ClubV12 tells me even more than Tom Wetmore--it tells me that this person is interested in V12 engines and is probably friends with others who hold similar interests. Since this forum concerns persons interested in the world of Seventh-day Adventists, I would like to know when I am communicating with a SDA Pastor, and when I am communicating with someone of another faith--even slightly altered. Quote
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted June 17, 2011 Administrators Posted June 17, 2011 So, you are a cricket, hop like a cricket, play cricket, love crickets, eat chocolate covered crickets, live in a cave with a lot of crickets... or what? [TIC] Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Liz Posted June 17, 2011 Posted June 17, 2011 Originally Posted By: Twilight II Problem is we get "internet stalkers" on boards. In the many years I have been posting on internet boards in my own name, I have felt no fear of, nor experienced any repercussions from these so-called stalkers. I can't worry about the phantoms of the internet opera... Most internet stalkers don't go after men. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted June 17, 2011 Members Posted June 17, 2011 Originally Posted By: Twilight II Problem is we get "internet stalkers" on boards. In the many years I have been posting on internet boards in my own name, I have felt no fear of, nor experienced any repercussions from these so-called stalkers. I can't worry about the phantoms of the internet opera... I'm trying to avoid a stalker. He's already found me on Linked-In...has shown up at my home unexpectedly...and somehow knows where I am.. It's unnerving.. Quote Pam      Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
cricket Posted June 17, 2011 Author Posted June 17, 2011 So, you are a cricket, hop like a cricket, play cricket, love crickets, eat chocolate covered crickets, live in a cave with a lot of crickets... or what? [TIC] There are 69 people in the United States with my legal name. (How many of YOU are there?) Cricket is a name I chose the day I first registered with an Internet e-mail service and it's the same moniker I've used since. A nick-name given to me in my teens by my peers because it "flows" with my given name. I no longer hop like a cricket--though I do a sloppy version of a "donkey kick" at my nephew's little gym. I've never played cricket, but I can recognize a cricket ball and bat. I love the crunchy sound that crickets make when a fishing hook is driven through them. I've never eaten a cricket--chocolate covered or otherwise. I've never lived in a cave with crickets, but I've seen cave crickets and think they're pretty cool. Also, for a while, I've used Jiminy Cricket as an avatar, because I think he's pretty special too. Hope that clarifies it! :) Quote
cricket Posted June 17, 2011 Author Posted June 17, 2011 Rudywoofs, stalkers are creepy. I don't like them either and have had one or two experiences with them in the past decade as well. Quote
jasd Posted June 17, 2011 Posted June 17, 2011 QR frame: Who are you? Don't care. I care about only the content of your posts; best should I be able to learn from them... When I first joined I posted my real name, city wherein I dwell, etc. The forum scrubbed all info - deciding that anonymity was best. Okay. No problem. JWs 'stalk' me - bully for them. Wouldn't mind if Angelina Jolie did the same... ;-) Quote
cricket Posted June 17, 2011 Author Posted June 17, 2011 I don't care who you are either, jasd. I WOULD care though, IF you claimed to be a SDA Pastor and I was conversing with you under the impression that you had pastoral credentials. Quote
Moderators Nan Posted June 18, 2011 Moderators Posted June 18, 2011 Quoting Rudywoofs I'm trying to avoid a stalker. He's already found me on Linked-In...has shown up at my home unexpectedly...and somehow knows where I am. It's unnerving Not surprised you found that unnerving, Pam....would Scout be a deterrent to anyone unwelcome in your home? Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted June 18, 2011 Moderators Posted June 18, 2011 Someone wanting to find out about me who googles 'Bravus' will come across the link to my real name and home page very quickly indeed. They'll also very quickly find out more about me than they ever wanted or needed to know. But I realise that by being male, big and beefy, in the Antipodes and not in church employment, I'm in uniquely easy circumstances when it comes to web privacy/security, and that my practices would not be appropriate for everyone. For me, cricket, it's not an issue because I'm like jasd: it's the content of the posts that counts. I place no special weight on anyone's comments due to any qualification or credential: if the content can't stand on its own merits, I don't care if the author is the Pope. Quote Truth is important
nuff sed Posted June 18, 2011 Posted June 18, 2011 I am a retired 4th generation Seventh-day Adventist pastor. Quite 'nuff sed'....... Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted June 18, 2011 Moderators Posted June 18, 2011 {shrug} Trying to join in: not disagreeing with your point, just sharing my different experience and perspective. Quote Truth is important
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted June 18, 2011 Members Posted June 18, 2011 Is there a way to make a distinction here at Club Adventist so that visitors and new members might know which pastors are Seventh-day Adventist pastors, and which belong to another faith? I realize that this site is an unOfficial site, but it would be nice to know which pastors share the same faith as many visitors and which do not. What's odd, is that some people consider themselves "SDA pastors" when they do not, in fact, have any credentials whatsoever from the Adventist church. I think Cricket makes a valid point. People come to C/A, and read posts by someone posing as Pastor "so and so"... It would be natural to assume that a "pastor" posting on an Adventist forum would be an SDA, unless he/she stated otherwise. Also, people post things by Pastor "so and so" - are these SDA pastors who are being quoted?? Of course, Adventists don't have the corner market on good inspirational thoughts and ideas. But I've seen some pretty odd theological nutshells sprouting up here... Quote Pam      Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
CoAspen Posted June 18, 2011 Posted June 18, 2011 Quote: But I've seen some pretty odd theological nutshells sprouting up here... That would make a good by-line!!! Quote
Members phkrause Posted June 18, 2011 Members Posted June 18, 2011 What's odd, is that some people consider themselves "SDA pastors" when they do not, in fact, have any credentials whatsoever from the Adventist church. I think Cricket makes a valid point. People come to C/A, and read posts by someone posing as Pastor "so and so"... It would be natural to assume that a "pastor" posting on an Adventist forum would be an SDA, unless he/she stated otherwise. Also, people post things by Pastor "so and so" - are these SDA pastors who are being quoted?? Of course, Adventists don't have the corner market on good inspirational thoughts and ideas. But I've seen some pretty odd theological nutshells sprouting up here... You do know that you have a gift? Right! and that is a gift with words rudywoofs. :) Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators lazarus Posted June 19, 2011 Moderators Posted June 19, 2011 Since this forum concerns persons interested in the world of Seventh-day Adventists, I would like to know when I am communicating with a SDA Pastor, and when I am communicating with someone of another faith--even slightly altered. I don't get it. Just ask them! Most Pastors I think will "confess" that they are a Pastor. Most Pastors will tell you what denomination they belong to. There will always be charlatans in our mindst but by their "posting" you will know them. Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
cricket Posted June 19, 2011 Author Posted June 19, 2011 To quote myself, "Nevermind." Clearly most people here do not see things the way I do. Nor do they care to listen. That includes some of the pastors. I will find a place that does care and pastors who do as well. I'll say it a third time in case you missed the second, "Nevermind." Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.