ClubV12 Posted December 17, 2011 Posted December 17, 2011 "Here is the patience of the Saints...." Patience, something I struggle with. At times I long to be an overcomer right now!! But then I fall,,, again. I pick myself up, dust myself off, and stumble on toward the goal, praising God for once again showing me my weakness. And justifying me on the spot, the very moment I offer that prayer of a broken heart and sincere repentance. At that moment, I AM an "over comer". But I need patience, the closer I get to the goal of a perfect life, the farther away it seems to be. I stumble along the path, His righteousness is my only hope. Quote
BibleOnly Posted December 17, 2011 Posted December 17, 2011 ClubV12 - I agree, the communion is not just to remember Christ, but, to measure ourselves against His sacrifice. Is it true the SDA does this only four times a year ? I think it's important to do this every week, but the fact that God set it up this way, anticipates that we sometimes fall over and need to dust ourselves off and set out to do better. I was amused you posted on 'patience' after two diatribes from Dr Rich. How ironic. He tries my patience, too. Quote
ClubV12 Posted December 17, 2011 Posted December 17, 2011 Communion, as I see it, is a pretty solemn event, equal to baptism in some cases. Once a week is fine for those who see it that way. I think it has a place on special occasions as well, outside of any regularly scheduled event. Four times a year for Adventists is a guideline, as a group, a body of believers, the church follows that principle. While allowing for special occasions as well. I understand many have the "ceremony" with only the wine and bread, Adventists also do the foot washing part. I think doing it to often has the potential for making it lesser effect, reducing it's solemnity. But thats just personal opinion. Communion is coming around again soon in my church, I have started to think about it. I want to be right with the Lord and my fellow man in all respects. I want to have the same love and solemnity I had when I was baptized. It's a "big deal" to me... Quote
BibleOnly Posted December 17, 2011 Posted December 17, 2011 Were does 1 Cor 11, in laying out the communion service, mention foot washing ? Where did Jesus ? In my opinion, four times a year is far too rare to be examining oneself and considering how to better live according to the example Jesus gave. Sure, we can do it all the time, but communion forces me to do it soberly and thoughtfully. I can't get to church this weekend, and it's making me think in terms of what I will miss, and communion is high on my list, so I am being careful to think this way, even away from a church meeting. I am just used to doing it every week. I suspect in a lot of ways, communion takes the place of some of the things that SDA members have told me they need a special once a week sabbath for. The difference is, I'm doing what Paul and Jesus said I should do. 1 Cor 11-14, to me, implies that communion and the voice gifts of the Spirit are something that happens every time the church comes together. Quote
ClubV12 Posted December 17, 2011 Posted December 17, 2011 Paul, in Corinthians, was referring back to what Jesus said, so let's go to the source and see what Jesus said. John chapter 13: 14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. It should be noted that this is not a test of faith for Seventh-day Adventists. Indeed, those who do not feel "ready" to commune with the Lord are encouraged NOT to! It is indeed a solemn thing. Of course, I could pull out an Ellen White quote on the topic, but I thought you might prefer a bible quote instead. :) Quote
BibleOnly Posted December 18, 2011 Posted December 18, 2011 *grin* Well, I think this goes to the heart of the SDA approach to the Bible. Jesus is talking about an example of the sort of service we should do to one another in general, not what should happen at communion, and in a world where washing someone else's feet is not the low thing it was to them, or even necessary, given that we all wear shoes and socks, it's quite a legalistic approach to do this instead of serving your brother in a way that actually has an impact on them. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.