ClubV12 Posted February 19, 2012 Author Posted February 19, 2012 "Strict Liability", as Kevin mentioned, yes, Oregon is a strict liability state, not all are. So the 45 mph speed limit was ACROSS the intersection and I had not yet reached that point. I was just BEFORE the intersection, "strictly" speaking, I am guilty of speeding, 50 in a 35. It's still a bushwhack I tell you, legalized theft as Olger noted, it's a set up, a speed trap, this aint right! OK, now that I got that off my chest. I'd like to see the city put up a 35 mph speed limit sign in that area. I've lived here two years, driven that road almost everyday, I never had any idea that area was actually 35 mph. That 45 mph speed sign, where it's placed, etc. is very misleading! I think I will contact a lawyer (thanks for the good advice on that folks), not to "get out of the ticket" per se, but to see what options there are for a proper speed limit sign. Oh, and I can take a Driver Ed course that will keep the ticket off my record, so thats not a big deal. So why would I bother to go to the trouble of trying to get a sign posted? To help the Lord! Can you imagine the number of times people have taken His name in vain when they got a ticket in that area? A ticket that many, like myself, did not feel they deserved? I would think a reasonable sign would do much to eliminate public stress and protect our Lord from verbal abuse. Quote
doug yowell Posted February 19, 2012 Posted February 19, 2012 Hey Club, I saw on Yahoo news a couple of weeks ago, a piece on how to best beat tickets. First on the agenda is to ask for an extension or two, and put off the court date as long as possible.This often avoids the cop being willing to show up to present his side of the case.I've done this on at least 3 occasions (here in California)and the officer has never shown up.Of course I was not guilty anyway but I never had to argue my case against his.And I saved hundreds of dollars (a non-sequitur for wealthy guys like EC,and RLH).Sounds like you may have one of those borderline cases. What are you gonna do? Quote
ClubV12 Posted February 19, 2012 Author Posted February 19, 2012 ....not sure, but I DO like the idea of postponing it while I gather more information. Good tip. Quote
Moderators Kevin H Posted February 19, 2012 Moderators Posted February 19, 2012 I went to law school in California, and the lecture on the tickets in New York. They had all kinds of technical things, such as the radar gun needs to be calabrated, but the law says that the actual calabration needs to be shown not a copy and police departments don't like to allow the actual calabration to leave the station so they send out the copies. etc. The lawyer teaching the class said that none of their clients should end up with a speeding ticket. Quote
doug yowell Posted February 19, 2012 Posted February 19, 2012 I went to law school in California, and the lecture on the tickets in New York. They had all kinds of technical things, such as the radar gun needs to be calabrated, but the law says that the actual calabration needs to be shown not a copy and police departments don't like to allow the actual calabration to leave the station so they send out the copies. etc. The lawyer teaching the class said that none of their clients should end up with a speeding ticket. That was another of the article's suggestions. Because radar guns were required to be calibrated very often (every couple of days if I remember correctly)it was more difficult to get up to date verification of their accuracy. Quote
Overaged Posted February 19, 2012 Posted February 19, 2012 Sounds like that guy was trying to meet his quota for the week; rather than judge on a FAIR application of the law. I don't know the rules in the US so much; but here, you can do, I think it's around 1 day in jail, for every $40.00 of fine.... Or, there is a section of the highway traffic act here that I used to get out of one ticket, a long time ago, and people can still use this reason today here. if you can show that what you did was unavoidable, and there was no other alternative, you can be exempted from the charge of speeding. In my case, my wife was about to give birth to our first baby and I was speeding to the hospital, as it was really urgent. Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
Overaged Posted February 19, 2012 Posted February 19, 2012 Yes, if you hit something at that speed, it will leave a mark. On his forehead Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
doug yowell Posted February 19, 2012 Posted February 19, 2012 They seemed pretty serious about the speeding stuff. Quote
Members phkrause Posted February 19, 2012 Members Posted February 19, 2012 Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Administrators Naomi Posted February 20, 2012 Administrators Posted February 20, 2012 Quote If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God
LifeHiscost Posted February 20, 2012 Posted February 20, 2012 And, when you worked as a 'Peace Officer' the bad guys did not have automatic weapons more powerful than you. How often did you or one or your brothers in blue pull over a car and have a possibility of being shot before or while approaching a vehicle? Time to wake up and see what time it is .......... <object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object> Is it time yet?????? God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Moderators Gerr Posted February 20, 2012 Moderators Posted February 20, 2012 I saw the body of someone in the ER who was apparently going too fast. What was left of the head was just a little bit of the base of the skull. Quote
Overaged Posted February 20, 2012 Posted February 20, 2012 Years ago; I saw an accident scene where a person who was speeding went through the windshield and decapitated him. It was nasty. Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
ClubV12 Posted February 20, 2012 Author Posted February 20, 2012 I used to race cars, started doing that in High school. Over the years I've lost count of how many times I've wrecked and narrowly escaped serious injury. The Lord has been good to me, I figured I'd better stop while I was ahead (or, still have a head). You know, I recognize now the Lord is STILL protecting me from myself in so many ways I had never seen before. I'm thankful.... Quote
Overaged Posted February 20, 2012 Posted February 20, 2012 Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
Members phkrause Posted February 21, 2012 Members Posted February 21, 2012 Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Liz Posted February 21, 2012 Posted February 21, 2012 a decade ago, I was living in one state and working in another, approximately 12 hours driving distance, driving across another state to get to my job...a remote area of the country, with few people on the road in mid-day....I had not met anyone on the road for several miles, so instead of driving 65, I went a bit faster...I really wanted to test a theory that one could actually drive 100 miles in one hour. The evidence was that at 65 mph, I was getting about 50 miles...Unfortunately, the police officer didn't see it that it was a useful experiment....and the judge was amazed that a fine was REDUCED by legislature when he ordered me to pay the fine... What a second, my blond brain is kicking in; when your spedometer says 65 mph, you're not actually traveling 65 miles in one hour? Then what is the spedometer actually saying? Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Members phkrause Posted February 21, 2012 Members Posted February 21, 2012 What a second, my blond brain is kicking in; when your spedometer says 65 mph, you're not actually traveling 65 miles in one hour? Then what is the spedometer actually saying? There are some cars that the speedometer might be off. I owned a '69 camaro, its speedometer was right on. 100mph took me 1 hr give or take a few sec. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
ClubV12 Posted February 21, 2012 Author Posted February 21, 2012 I had a Geo Metro, 997 cc's of fury for an engine. Even an hour was not long enough to reach a 100..... :) Quote
Members phkrause Posted February 21, 2012 Members Posted February 21, 2012 I can believe that, but you probably quintipled my gas milege. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Guest Posted February 21, 2012 Posted February 21, 2012 I had a Geo Metro, 997 cc's of fury for an engine. Even an hour was not long enough to reach a 100..... You should have milled the head, and bored it out to about a 1050cc, and put some tuned headers on that bad boy. Maybe drop a different computer program in there. That would help :) Quote
Overaged Posted February 21, 2012 Posted February 21, 2012 I had a Geo Metro, 997 cc's of fury for an engine. Even an hour was not long enough to reach a 100..... I have a shop vac with a 6 1/2 hp motor in it that might have gotten you there faster...lol Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.