Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Recommended Posts

Posted

Is suicide a sin? Wouldn't God take into account how much pain a person had to be in to commit suicide? What about if said person had been baptized by immersion but totally believed and loved Jesus?

  • Administrators
Posted

I hope you are not getting any ideas...

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Posted

Is suicide a sin? Wouldn't God take into account how much pain a person had to be in to commit suicide? What about if said person had been baptized by immersion but totally believed and loved Jesus?

The last sentence should have been...What if said person had NOT been baptized by immersion but totally believed and loved Jesus?

  • Administrators
Posted

Not answering your question because I am not going to weigh into that discussion.

I will share what helps me when life doesn't seem worth living. It is to get out and find someone who, through no fault of their own, is fighting for their life. You don't have to look far. When I find that person(s) doing something, even if it is to tell them they are loved, take a small flower or bottle of water, I forget how miserable I view my existence.

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Posted

Just some questions about the religious aspect of the deed is all.

  • Administrators
Posted

Just some questions about the religious aspect of the deed is all.

rollingsmile

Good news! If we take our own life it is taking a life; correct?

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Posted

rollingsmile

Good news! If we take our own life it is taking a life; correct?

Yes, but don't you think God would take into account the absolute pain a person would have to be in to do it?

Posted

I believe you are correct. I do not believe suicide is always wrong/sin. People can and will quote the Bible on Both sides of the issue, so I choose to leave it in Gods hands since He knows the heart of the individual and not us humans. We try to make way too many decisions for God and others.

Posted

Well, it ain't a good thing.

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

  • Members
Posted

I believe you are correct. I do not believe suicide is always wrong/sin. People can and will quote the Bible on Both sides of the issue, so I choose to leave it in Gods hands since He knows the heart of the individual and not us humans. We try to make way too many decisions for God and others.

Not sure CoA that I buy that suicide can be right or wrong. I do believe though with you that God will be the final judge. As far as people quoting the Bible to back there claim, I'm not sure of any verse's that back suicide! I could be wrong. All I know is that God says "Do not Murder." I'd say suicide comes under the Murder category not the killing category. But than what do I know, that's why god will judge each action! Thank God. :)

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

and then there is Samson......................... Didn't God give him the strength to commit suicide?????? Nuff Sed

  • Administrators
Posted

and then there is Samson......................... Didn't God give him the strength to commit suicide?????? Nuff Sed

True enough, and then his name was added to the Bible faith hall of fame (Heb.11)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

  • Administrators
Posted
:like:

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

Posted

No matter what, I do believe that God has enough mercy to look at everything about anyone that commits suicide, whether they have been baptized or not, but if they have accepted Jesus and tried to live a decent life.

  • Members
Posted

and then there is Samson......................... Didn't God give him the strength to commit suicide?????? Nuff Sed

Thanks nuff sed, I did forget about Samson. And I believe, not sure where I read it, but he will be in heaven?

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
  • Administrators
Posted

Well, you know, OzarkWoman, if anyone did not need baptism it would have been Jesus Himself. Yet He did it anyway, to provide for us an example.

If it is within our power to do so, we would gain a blessing from following Him :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Posted

Well, there is no way I will be baptized by the pastor that I used to trust. I finally figured out that he and his wife are not what I thought they were.

  • Administrators
Posted

Well, there is no way I will be baptized by the pastor that I used to trust. I finally figured out that he and his wife are not what I thought they were.

But really, who is?

Given enough time, every single person will disappoint. The Bible says that ALL have sinned and are in need of a Saviour.

That is what makes grace so beautiful- God knows that, and He accepts us and forgives us and helps us continue in spite of it. He knows both my weaknesses and yours and He's willing to work with us. He knows that sooner or later we will mess up. But He takes us where we are and we are able to move forward :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

Posted

The best time to repent is the day before you die.

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Posted
The best time to repent is the day before you die.
I disagree completely. Repentance should come the moment you feel remorse for your sin. Seeking forgiveness then, as soon as is humanly possible.
  • Members
Posted

Quote:
Is suicide a sin?

no...and I think it's absolutely ludicrous that governments try to prosecute those who have tried, but are unsuccessful.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

  • Administrators
Posted

Originally Posted By: olger
The best time to repent is the day before you die.
I disagree completely. Repentance should come the moment you feel remorse for your sin. Seeking forgiveness then, as soon as is humanly possible.

We never know what day we will die, therefore the best time to repent is today. I agree with both of you. :)

However, if you know the moment before you are going to die, that would be optimal because obviously there would be an opportunity to sin again. :)

If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God

  • Administrators
Posted

Is suicide a sin? Wouldn't God take into account how much pain a person had to be in to commit suicide? What about if said person had been baptized by immersion but totally believed and loved Jesus?

Suicide is more complex than simply intentionally causing ones own death. As the Sampson story illustrates, Sampson's own action would fit that definition. Many heroic acts involve intentionally sacrificing ones own life for the sake of a greater purpose.

But as your question implies, one cannot accurately or easily judge the motive behind self-inflicted death. Was it to end the life or the pain? Often emotional pain is more disabling than physical pain. Can we say a deeply traumatized person under great emotional duress is capable of acting rationally enough to be held responsible for their actions that might end their life?

What about a person who knows down deep they are a serious danger to others and decide to take their own life rather than harm another person?

Or what about the cultural understanding of taking ones own life as self-inflicted punishment?

I think we cannot categorically say in all cases it is sin. I am inclined to think it may be sin in far fewer instances than traditionally believed.

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Posted

Suicide is more complex than simply intentionally causing ones own death. As the Sampson story illustrates, Sampson's own action would fit that definition. Many heroic acts involve intentionally sacrificing ones own life for the sake of a greater purpose.

Posted

Praise God - we are judged by our heart. God knows us better than anyone. And I find great comfort in that.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...