Administrators Gail Posted October 28, 2012 Administrators Posted October 28, 2012 I like that Joemoe! That first kind of rain you mentioned, the blessing kind, comes from the Spirit.Is praying for the Spirit actually praying to be a rainmaker? I would say, Try it, then get out of the way!!! God is good and I believe He really wants to pour out His Spirit to all who would be His willing instruments. You never know- He might make us all into rainmakers! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
LifeHiscost Posted October 28, 2012 Posted October 28, 2012 Quote: There are two types of rain we can make - "showers of blessing" or devastating, destructive floods. The early and the latter rains that are spoken of in the Scriptures are both from the Holy Spirit and are spoken of re: the purpose of a successful crop harvest. See post #579302 . Are you suggesting that the Holy Spirit, Who is called by Jesus, the Comforter, is responsible for destructive rainfall? Seems inconsistent with the character of a loving God unless the primary purpose of the destructive rainfall would be to deal with the enemies of God and God's followers. God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
LifeHiscost Posted October 28, 2012 Posted October 28, 2012 But on second thought, perhaps that might not be a bad thing. We just need to keep current and innovative. Ideas change, but the yearning in people's hearts for peace and acceptance will always be there. God's remedy for souls is timeless. God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
LifeHiscost Posted October 28, 2012 Posted October 28, 2012 I have been praying to be a rainmaker. So far it has not happened. As a literature evangelist, one individual was highly discouraged as he wasn't aware of any positive influence from his efforts to spread the Word. It wasn't until sometime later, when he had already given up on pursuing that particular venue, that another apparently more successful individual pointed out that he was aware of an individual who responded just to a piece of literature left at the doorway of their home to the point of re-establishing their membership with the body of Christ. "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”" John 13:35 NKJV God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
JoeMo Posted October 29, 2012 Posted October 29, 2012 LHC asks, "Are you suggesting that the Holy Spirit, Who is called by Jesus, the Comforter, is responsible for destructive rainfall? Seems inconsistent with the character of a loving God unless the primary purpose of the destructive rainfall would be to deal with the enemies of God and God's followers." JoeMo answers: "Ouch!" No LHC, I would never attribute anything negative about the Holy Spirit! He blesses us! I am saying that we can speak showers on blessing over people as ambassadors of the Holy Spirit, or we can speak a destructive flood of curses over over people as ambassadors of the evil one. James talks of the same thing in his epistle in 3:9-10: "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing." Lord may I be a rainmaker pouring showers of blessing al all who I meet! Quote
LifeHiscost Posted October 29, 2012 Posted October 29, 2012 Quote: Lord may I be a rainmaker pouring showers of blessing al all who I meet! I'm with you, JoeMo. I praise God for your spiritual insight and attitude. God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Stan Posted October 29, 2012 Author Posted October 29, 2012 IMHO Rainmakers will NOT be people who say and pray "LORD those people need to do more" Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Administrators Naomi Posted October 29, 2012 Administrators Posted October 29, 2012 IMHO Rainmakers will NOT be people who say and pray "LORD those people need to do more" "Lord I sincerely want to be a rainmaker. If it is to be, it is up to me ... can't wait on the preacher or deacon I need to do more" The greates mission field in the world is right outside our own front door. We all can't preach, we all can't do Bible Studies, but we can ALL do something! All talents are different and all are valuable! Constant, earnest prayer can never be discounted, It is not just a filler ... not just a way to habitually start or end the day ... not just a few words mumbled to thank for and ask blessings on our food. It IS the key to being tuned in, turned on; our close relationship with our Lord will be reflected in our every word and deed. Quote If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God
Neil D Posted October 29, 2012 Posted October 29, 2012 It is easy to want to be a "rainmaker", if I understand y'all correctly... But it's the people who have counted the cost, and say "NO way do I want to do that. Too much work." and then are forced to do it...and learn to live that dream and sacrifice for it and realize just how much it is needed and work all the harder for it.... But initially, they avoid it because they know how much it truely will cost them...... ....whereas, those who want the glory of being a rainmaker, who kinda know the cost, but think more of the reward of thier glory than the true cost, the sacrifice...Oh, those things are noble, but to live them are gut wrenching and sad.....who wants the sadness of life.... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Administrators Naomi Posted October 29, 2012 Administrators Posted October 29, 2012 Yes, there are reluctant Rainmakers ... and things work out; one way or another. Those who chose to make the sacrifice, who had a good idea of the cost, are to be commended. Do you really think that their lives are gut wrenching and sad? I tend to believe that they receive personal satisfaction that goes far beyond any creature comforts which this old ball of mud may offer. Quote If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God
thx4mercy Posted October 30, 2012 Posted October 30, 2012 David Gates is a mover & shaker, but had to do his rainmaking outside the SDA Church due to strong opposition of his unorthodox methods. Just curious, what did he do outside the SDA church? Quote
Gordon1 Posted October 30, 2012 Posted October 30, 2012 Just curious, what did he do outside the SDA church? I should have used the present tense. As far as I understand, Gospel Ministries International (GMI) runs independently of the SDA Church. Thus GMI's activities (the TV networks, the medical aviation fleet, the volunteer school system) are not governed or funded by the General Conference. So one might say all his rainmaking is outside the corporate body. Quote
LifeHiscost Posted November 1, 2012 Posted November 1, 2012 Quote: All talents are different and all are valuable! Not all are willing to let each make their own decision, without criticizing. Especially when it leads to a fate similar to John the Baptist and Paul the Apostle, as well as each of the original 12. Jesus even held His peace when Judas took steps to steer Jesus in the direction he thought best. God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Administrators Naomi Posted November 1, 2012 Administrators Posted November 1, 2012 Not all are willing to let each make their own decision, without criticizing. Especially when it leads to a fate similar to John the Baptist and Paul the Apostle, as well as each of the original 12. Jesus even held His peace when Judas took steps to steer Jesus in the direction he thought best. God blesses! Excellent summation ... we talk about being like Jesus and then let the lesson Judas (and the others) slide right on by ... Quote If your dreams are not big enough to scare you, they are not big enough for God
Administrators Gail Posted November 1, 2012 Administrators Posted November 1, 2012 Yes, it's a challenge to let one bloom or grow or walk at their own pace. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
LifeHiscost Posted November 1, 2012 Posted November 1, 2012 IMHO Rainmakers will NOT be people who say and pray "LORD those people need to do more" OTOH, I can remember as a young Christian, when coming to the counsel of the Word that told me; "Later He appeared to the eleven as they sat at the table; and He rebuked their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He had risen. And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."Mark 16:14-16 NKJV, that I was for many years under the impression that I was responsible by God's command to fulfill that command insofar as I was able. And it became an even greater issue when I ran into this; "“Son of man, I have appointed you as a watchman for Israel. Whenever you receive a message from me, warn people immediately. If I warn the wicked, saying, ‘You are under the penalty of death,’ but you fail to deliver the warning, they will die in their sins. And I will hold you responsible for their deaths. If you warn them and they refuse to repent and keep on sinning, they will die in their sins. But you will have saved yourself because you obeyed me."Ezekiel 3:17-19 NLT, it wasn't until many years later that I realized, while that was counsel to me on a very individual level, it was also to all of the body of Christ and Jesus would be my personal burden Bearer when I put forth the strength He gave me to accomplish what I could, in tandem with the rest of the body. Since one characteristic of love is defined as being "ever ready to believe the best of every person", it took a while for me to recognize that many who accept the title, Christian, do not necessarily accept that responsibility as I see it, and are quick to resent the face value of the Word if convicted that it could refer to them, especially if it touches a part of their life that naturally resents anyone being so brazen as to think they might know what could be found useful in their spiritual growth. That's one reason why I find it best to let the Word speak for itself. And of course, this means for some disciples, they could lose their head, and even the more so as we see the great day of God Almighty approaching. "Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour."1 Peter 5:8 NLT God blesses! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
BobRyan Posted November 2, 2012 Posted November 2, 2012 Amen! Quote John 8:32 - The Truth will make you free“The righteousness of Christ will not cover one cherished sin." COL 316.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.