Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted February 9, 2013 Members Posted February 9, 2013 a lot more fun than it is now. And I actually learned & grew a lot - spiritually and otherwise. No more. Sure, there was bellyaching and friction amongst and betwixt some, but you always knew deep down, that your online sparring partner was also a friend. What has changed? Gradually, various mods left the forum. The forum became more "liberal." Mrs. Gray left. Now, there are so many "rules" (but funny that they only seem to apply to *some* but not to all) - AND a funny observation: those who rail against "legalism" are the ones who want the rules. lol different population - those who choose to join C/A now are joining a completely different forum than it was in 2005 - so, their expections/offerings are somewhat different (not saying it's wrong--just different). Did the forum "mature"? Nah. I don't think so. I think it's just a case of evolution... Sure do wish some of the old members would come back...but who would want to come back only to get skewered and ridiculed by the oppositon, but not allowed to put in a zinger themselves? Okay, I guess that's all that was on my mind. For now. And I don't expect much in the way of responses. Because I'm, like, you know, one of *them*.... Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted February 9, 2013 Posted February 9, 2013 Quote: a lot more fun than it is now. And I actually learned & grew a lot - spiritually and otherwise. No more. I feel that one of the problems are posts similar to this one. Negativity. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
cricket Posted February 9, 2013 Posted February 9, 2013 Quote: a lot more fun than it is now. And I actually learned & grew a lot - spiritually and otherwise. No more. I feel that one of the problems are posts similar to this one. Negativity. Can no one speak honestly anymore? I feel that this site has become more and more sexist over the years; full of snarkiness and sarcasm. I, too, have learned a lot, but without going into much detail--instead of growing spiritually, I have learned that there are a lot of things about Christianity that I do not appreciate at all. Quote
Woody Posted February 9, 2013 Posted February 9, 2013 Can no one speak honestly anymore? --- I suppose that honesty has it's place. I just find that there are certain posters who all they seem to 'contribute' is negativity. And I admit that it might be better for me just to ignore those posters. I think leading by example is a better way to change things. I feel that this site has become more and more sexist over the years; full of snarkiness and sarcasm. I, too, have learned a lot, but without going into much detail--instead of growing spiritually, I have learned that there are a lot of things about Christianity that I do not appreciate at all. Again - my suggestion would be to lead by a positive example. That will move the forum in the right direction more than anything. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
GoLions Posted February 9, 2013 Posted February 9, 2013 Whatever this forum was, I'm not sure. I am glad I didn't stumble across it when I was new to the SDA church. I am not sure if it would have had an impact on me or not, but it would have made me sad to see such backsliding made popular. What ever this forum is now, it is not uniquely Adventist. It would be better advertised as 'world wide Christian forum'. If it was that, I would say this is a good place to visit, now I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. Quote
GoLions Posted February 9, 2013 Posted February 9, 2013 http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/382217_10200350425034044_1220419508_n.jpg Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted February 9, 2013 Moderators Posted February 9, 2013 Just one observation: if the perceived problem is that this forum is less fun and more aggressive, I don't think it's the 'liberals' who have changed or who make it that way. Quote Truth is important
cricket Posted February 9, 2013 Posted February 9, 2013 Can no one speak honestly anymore? --- I suppose that honesty has it's place. I just find that there are certain posters who all they seem to 'contribute' is negativity. And I admit that it might be better for me just to ignore those posters. I think leading by example is a better way to change things. I feel that this site has become more and more sexist over the years; full of snarkiness and sarcasm. I, too, have learned a lot, but without going into much detail--instead of growing spiritually, I have learned that there are a lot of things about Christianity that I do not appreciate at all. Again - my suggestion would be to lead by a positive example. That will move the forum in the right direction more than anything. Wither shall I follow, follow, follow? Wither shall I follow, follow, follow thee? To the Redwood, to the Redwood, to the Redwood, Redwood tree! Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted February 9, 2013 Moderators Posted February 9, 2013 In other words, perhaps 'tone' and 'orthodoxy' are two separate issues that can more productively be discussed separately. Quote Truth is important
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted February 9, 2013 Author Members Posted February 9, 2013 Just one observation: if the perceived problem is that this forum is less fun and more aggressive, I don't think it's the 'liberals' who have changed or who make it that way. you're right, in that the liberals WHO WERE HERE IN 2005, have not made the forum less fun and more aggressive... (sorry about the double negative) Originally Posted By: rw I suppose that honesty has it's place. I just find that there are certain posters who all they seem to 'contribute' is negativity. And I admit that it might be better for me just to ignore those posters. I think leading by example is a better way to change things. You SUPPOSE honesty has it's place???? That statement says volumes. If all anyone wants are bogus, phony statements that make you feel good, try the Kabbala. And BTW, dedwood, you weren't here in the timeframe I'm referring to....so you have no knowledge of that of which I write. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted February 9, 2013 Posted February 9, 2013 Quote: Wither shall I follow, follow, follow?Wither shall I follow, follow, follow thee? To the Redwood, to the Redwood, to the Redwood, Redwood tree! Love it. Love it. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted February 9, 2013 Members Posted February 9, 2013 I'm in agreement with most of your post, the only thing I have a disagreement with, is your conservative/liberal comment. I find those that claim to be conservative are more liberal in there tone than those that are said to be liberal! Just my opinion.:) Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
joeb Posted February 9, 2013 Posted February 9, 2013 pkrause, I think that was rudywoofs point.... The liberals are the least tolerant, yet tolerance is their rallying cry. Quote Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.Alexis de Tocqueville
Members phkrause Posted February 9, 2013 Members Posted February 9, 2013 Sorry but I see it quite differently! Been here '01. And that's not what I got from Pam's statement by the way. Again, my opinion. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted February 9, 2013 Author Members Posted February 9, 2013 thanks, pk... I prolly shouldn't have even brought in the liberal/conservative issue. Folks can be liberal in some issues, and conservative in others. I am, most definitely. :) Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
joeb Posted February 9, 2013 Posted February 9, 2013 LOL. Well, I've been wrong before, and will be again, pk.... Quote Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.Alexis de Tocqueville
Moderators Bravus Posted February 9, 2013 Moderators Posted February 9, 2013 Yep, I think we all are: which is one of the reasons why the move to discussing *everything* in liberal/conservative terms has been a backward step for this place. Addressing each issue on its merits would be a far healthier - and more fun - approach. Quote Truth is important
Members phkrause Posted February 10, 2013 Members Posted February 10, 2013 Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
M. T. Cross Posted February 10, 2013 Posted February 10, 2013 I think C/A has changed a lot since even since I actively started posting (geez hope that does not relate back to me). But in the many years I have been reading the board it seems to have had its ups and downs. Quote
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted February 10, 2013 Administrators Posted February 10, 2013 Thinking about change... "Just because everything is different doesn't mean anything has changed." ~Irene Peter "Things do not change; we change." ~Henry David Thoreau "The only man I know who behaves sensibly is my tailor; he takes my measurements anew each time he sees me. The rest go on with their old measurements and expect me to fit them." ~George Bernard Shaw Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Ted Oplinger Posted February 10, 2013 Posted February 10, 2013 Been here off and on since 2000...don't really know why C/A has me member since 2002, because I was sparring in the Theological Townhall with poster named Augustine two years before that. That particular poster was the picture of over-the-top negative snark...and I use that reference for what negativity is.the current sparring going on in that forum, to me, in no way approaches that level I experienced over 10 years ago. During that time since, I've seen quite a bit of change - some good, some...not so much. What I like seeing about this place is that Adventist pillars of faith are in the arena for discussion, open to whichever faith/denomination wants to walk in the door and discuss. I have yet to see the pillars of the Adventist faith thoroughly debunked - questioned, yes, doubted, yes, lamented, yes - but never debunked. Another point is what I saw mentioned in the shout box today - everything is up for discussion, with no sacred cows kept aside or spared. On the downside, that means trolls also get come knocking as well. From what I've seen, there's a pretty good effort to keep these to a minimum. Between 2002 and 2005, there were a couple of times the tone went pessimistic, negative...then, it went upbeat, positive. Since then - the same thing. Much like the tide rolling in and out... If it appears snarky, negative now, perhaps that means the next tide is due to roll in. My only caveat is that today's world has also changed - and not for the better. Our globe is much more polarized, "us vs. them", now than even when the Cold War was rolling along unabated. Some of that polarization has shown up in here. Perhaps that is the real source of our outlook - the world's attitude can't help but creep in. What is the best antidote for that, though? Blessings, Quote "As iron sharpens iron, so also does one man sharpen another" - Proverbs 27:17 "The offense of the cross is that the cross is a confession of human frailty and sin and of inability to do any good thing. To take the cross of Christ means to depend solely on Him for everything, and this is the abasement of all human pride. Men love to fancy themselves independent. But let the cross be preached, let it be made known that in man dwells no good thing and that all must be received as a gift, and straightway someone is offended." Ellet J. Waggoner, The Glad Tidings "Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne "The person who pays an ounce of principle for a pound of popularity gets badly cheated" - Ronald Reagan
Narcah Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 My .01 cent worth is this: Facebook has singlehandedly killed most online forums. Not all, but a couple other forums I participated in over the years are way down in participation, it's crazy. The way people interact online I think is changing away from forums to Facebook. Quote -Jason Youtube.com/narcah
OzarkWoman Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 My .01 cent worth is this: Facebook has singlehandedly killed most online forums. Not all, but a couple other forums I participated in over the years are way down in participation, it's crazy. The way people interact online I think is changing away from forums to Facebook. I disagree. Yes, many people are on FB but the forums I am in are just as active as they ever were and one of them I have been a member since 1999. Yes, some members go and new ones come. Also, IMHO if someone would rather spend time on FB then I honestly don't think it is someone that I would interract with much because I would doubt their participation would be worth much. Quote
cricket Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 I disagree. Yes, many people are on FB but the forums I am in are just as active as they ever were and one of them I have been a member since 1999. Yes, some members go and new ones come. Also, IMHO if someone would rather spend time on FB then I honestly don't think it is someone that I would interract with much because I would doubt their participation would be worth much. Facebook is an important part of my life. It is where I connect with my family and friends who live far distances from me. It is a cheap, effective way to stay in touch, to share photographs and to keep each of us involved with one another. I even connect with my immediate family via Facebook. It allows me to see what sort of things my kids are interested in (that might not come up in converstion) and who their friends are. There is a place in my life for Facebook, and it does take priority over the place in my life for Club Adventist. Because Facebook is the place where my loved ones gather together and share. Club Adventist is a place where similarly-minded people gather together and share. There is place for both. And spending time at either one of those places is all right in my book. I'm happy to interact in both realms. Quote
OzarkWoman Posted February 11, 2013 Posted February 11, 2013 Originally Posted By: OzarkWoman I disagree. Yes, many people are on FB but the forums I am in are just as active as they ever were and one of them I have been a member since 1999. Yes, some members go and new ones come. Also, IMHO if someone would rather spend time on FB then I honestly don't think it is someone that I would interract with much because I would doubt their participation would be worth much. Facebook is an important part of my life. It is where I connect with my family and friends who live far distances from me. It is a cheap, effective way to stay in touch, to share photographs and to keep each of us involved with one another. I even connect with my immediate family via Facebook. It allows me to see what sort of things my kids are interested in (that might not come up in converstion) and who their friends are. There is a place in my life for Facebook, and it does take priority over the place in my life for Club Adventist. Because Facebook is the place where my loved ones gather together and share. Club Adventist is a place where similarly-minded people gather together and share. There is place for both. And spending time at either one of those places is all right in my book. I'm happy to interact in both realms. Very well put and I really do concur!!! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.