Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted January 30, 2013 Administrators Posted January 30, 2013 We are all humans here. Speak for yourself, earthling... Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Gordon1 Posted January 30, 2013 Posted January 30, 2013 What difference does it make what forum I'm posting in? Different Moderators. Quote
Woody Posted January 31, 2013 Posted January 31, 2013 Originally Posted By: joeb What difference does it make what forum I'm posting in? Different Moderators. Each forum has different rules - both written and unwritten. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
joeb Posted January 31, 2013 Author Posted January 31, 2013 Originally Posted By: joeb What difference does it make what forum I'm posting in? Different Moderators. So, I have to beware of moderators on a Christian site? I find that to be a strange proposition. I would think the very fact that this is a professed Christian site means the moderators should have a higher standard than elsewhere. Quote Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.Alexis de Tocqueville
Liz Posted January 31, 2013 Posted January 31, 2013 I would think the very fact that this is a professed Christian site means the moderators should have a higher standard than elsewhere. Why? Moderators are still fallible human beings, whether they are Christian or otherwise. Just like one shouldn't put their pastor on a pedestal just because they are a "pastor", it doesn't make them any less a sinner. If one professes to be a Christian then that Christian standard should be for all, no matter what position they do or do not hold. Equally so, grace should be handed out amongst the followers of Christ, as we want it handed out to us; no matter to whom the grace is to be given. Just giving a different point of view. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
joeb Posted January 31, 2013 Author Posted January 31, 2013 Why? Moderators are still fallible human beings, whether they are Christian or otherwise. Just like one shouldn't put their pastor on a pedestal just because they are a "pastor", it doesn't make them any less a sinner. If one professes to be a Christian then that Christian standard should be for all, no matter what position they do or do not hold. Equally so, grace should be handed out amongst the followers of Christ, as we want it handed out to us; no matter to whom the grace is to be given. So Christians shouldn't set themselves a higher standard of behavior than those who make no profession of Christianity? Isn't that what the entire sermon on the mount was about, behavior? Isn't love(justice, fairness, mercy, etc...) the fulfilling of the law? I'm not saying we always reach our standard, which is Christ, but aren't we supposed to strive to reach that mark? To me that means I should be able to trust that a Christian will treat me differently(better) than someone who makes no profession. Quote Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.Alexis de Tocqueville
Liz Posted January 31, 2013 Posted January 31, 2013 I hope I explain this so it makes sense. Yes, as a professed Christian I should hold "myself" to a higher standard. But no, I shouldn't "expect" that same standard from someone else, just because they also profess to be a Christian. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Woody Posted January 31, 2013 Posted January 31, 2013 I hope I explain this so it makes sense. Yes, as a professed Christian I should hold "myself" to a higher standard. But no, I shouldn't "expect" that same standard from someone else, just because they also profess to be a Christian. Most excellent Liz Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
JoeMo Posted January 31, 2013 Posted January 31, 2013 I agree with Woody, Liz. I trust the judgement of battle-hardened veterans. Quote
Administrators Gail Posted January 31, 2013 Administrators Posted January 31, 2013 I agree with Woody, Liz. I trust the judgement of battle-hardened veterans. There can be plenty of battle to harden you, too, Joe, if you choose to partake. I just can't promise you won't be given a holiday if the battle gets too hot! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
JoeMo Posted January 31, 2013 Posted January 31, 2013 Gail! Quote: There can be plenty of battle to harden you, too, Joe, if you choose to partake. I just can't promise you won't be given a holiday if the battle gets too hot! I would never do that! Who's nicer than me on CA (except you)? Quote
Administrators Gail Posted January 31, 2013 Administrators Posted January 31, 2013 Yes, I know you would NEVER!! LOL But yes, we really appreciate those who try to work through the rough spots, cause they will come! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
joeb Posted January 31, 2013 Author Posted January 31, 2013 I hope I explain this so it makes sense. Yes, as a professed Christian I should hold "myself" to a higher standard. But no, I shouldn't "expect" that same standard from someone else, just because they also profess to be a Christian. Quote Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.Alexis de Tocqueville
Liz Posted January 31, 2013 Posted January 31, 2013 My first thought was "Judge not lest you be judged", however, I didn't realize we had to have Biblical support for our opinions. But if you want to judge me by your high standards, you just go ahead and do it, it is little wonder though that fellow Christians are letting you down. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
M. T. Cross Posted January 31, 2013 Posted January 31, 2013 For almost 10 years I was a moderator and admin on two high profile message boards. What I learned in that time was that moderators make mistakes sometimes, that there is so much behind the scenes garbage going on it would make your head spin, and no matter what you do someone is going to be upset. Your pm box will be full of demands that you do something, and when you do your pm box will refill condemning you for doing it. I have developed a real appreciation for the leeway that the moderators here give people. I know it more than I showed a lot of times. The best thing I think a person can do if they are in disagreement with a mod is to take it to pm, ask for an explanation and work with what you are given. Quote
joeb Posted January 31, 2013 Author Posted January 31, 2013 For almost 10 years I was a moderator and admin on two high profile message boards. What I learned in that time was that moderators make mistakes sometimes, that there is so much behind the scenes garbage going on it would make your head spin, and no matter what you do someone is going to be upset. Your pm box will be full of demands that you do something, and when you do your pm box will refill condemning you for doing it. I have developed a real appreciation for the leeway that the moderators here give people. I know it more than I showed a lot of times. The best thing I think a person can do if they are in disagreement with a mod is to take it to pm, ask for an explanation and work with what you are given. I've moderated too, at the senior level of moderation. I didn't get many complaints because I did things very even-handledly and publicly. No, you cannot make everyone happy, but you can conduct yourself so that everyone, even those who complain, knows your actions are above reproach. You leave any and all agendas behind except fairness and honesty. Quote Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.Alexis de Tocqueville
joeb Posted January 31, 2013 Author Posted January 31, 2013 Liz, I'm not judging you. Aren't we as Christians supposed to live our lives according to the principles of the Bible and be ready to always give a reason for what we believe? That's why I asked for Biblical support. If you don't want to give any, so be it. I'm not going to condemn you for not doing it. I just wanted to understand your reasoning. Quote Liberty cannot be established without morality, nor morality without faith.Alexis de Tocqueville
Woody Posted February 1, 2013 Posted February 1, 2013 Liz, I'm not judging you. Aren't we as Christians supposed to live our lives according to the principles of the Bible and be ready to always give a reason for what we believe? That's why I asked for Biblical support. If you don't want to give any, so be it. I'm not going to condemn you for not doing it. I just wanted to understand your reasoning. For most statements in scripture - there are moderating scripture that either totally discount or lessen the scripture quoted. So - some prefer to go by their own personal intense study or scripture as a whole rather than isolated 'proof' texts. Also - some prefer not to get into drawn out proof texting for basic issues already satisfied in the person's mind. If one has questions on an issue like this - I would encourage a comprehensive personal study into the matter. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.