Sojourner Posted August 10, 2014 Posted August 10, 2014 Greetings all. I was chatting with a friend of mine last week and told her how I had joined the local SDA church, she was quite supportive but then asked me if I had decided to become a vegetarian? - I replied in the negative and told her that the subject had never even been mentioned in any of the meetings I had attended there, although I did notice that potlucks were generally vegetarian. So I brought it up with the Pastor and he told me that he suspects that around 30% of the fellowship would be Vegetarian. He also mentioned that several people were Pescatarian - Vegetarians that eat Fish on occasion. I am not sure how different this is to people in the local community, I suspect probably not all that much different. Yet I would like to turn it over to the group and see how that goes in here. Are you a Vegetarian, Pescatarian, Vegan? How does that work out for you? What are the benefits - problems with your own choice whatever it is? Quote
Administrators Gail Posted August 10, 2014 Administrators Posted August 10, 2014 Ok, I will bite (pun intended ) I am not a vegetarian, but find that I cannot tolerate much meat. I suffer a lot from migraines and during them I cannot eat much at all, but when I do I prefer fruit. To me the kingdom of heaven is not food and drink. I can accommodate either vegetarianism or flesh diet. I should add, though, that will abstain from those foods the Bible calls unclean. I am still seeking/collecting information regarding the concept of clean vs unclean/holy vs common or profane. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Administrators Gail Posted August 10, 2014 Administrators Posted August 10, 2014 One objection to eating meat is that I sympathise with animals and want to allow them the right to life. Since becoming a dog owner I am more aware of the intelligence and emotional sensitivities of animals, especially those who trust in the care of humans. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
thx4mercy Posted August 10, 2014 Posted August 10, 2014 I was raised a vegetarian and have always been one, now at least 80% vegan. I was also naive in growing up, I guess, because I just always assumed the majority of Adventists were vegetarian, so to hear your pastor guess that only 30% are is surprising. It's interesting that so many people who believe that EGW is an inspired prophet of God given for the end times, don't really have an interest in following the health message that has been given to our church. Our appetites are a very powerful thing! I don't take any credit, as I don't know what it's like to make a decision to change or to give up this or that. I'm sure that would not be easy. Quote
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted August 10, 2014 Members Posted August 10, 2014 not a vegetarian, but seldom eat red meat...I do love fish 'n chips, though! :) Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Liz Posted August 10, 2014 Posted August 10, 2014 We are not vegetarians, we do the "clean meat" though. We loved going to the fair and eating Ostrich legs, until we found out that Ostrich was unclean, I had thought it was along the lines of a giant chicken. Who knew? I think if I was raising my own food, I would probably be a vegetarian. Quote For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Administrators Gail Posted August 10, 2014 Administrators Posted August 10, 2014 Liz, you're a riot! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Members phkrause Posted August 10, 2014 Members Posted August 10, 2014 We're not totally vegetarians, we still have chicken every so often. Also hotdogs! Haven't had a steak in many, many years. My favorite was always hamburgers, but haven't had one in so many years now. Anyway I prefer vegeburgers, especially mushroom ones. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Administrators Gail Posted August 10, 2014 Administrators Posted August 10, 2014 @ PK- mmmmm- portabello burgers! I got hubby hooked on those and also our Korean homestay boy Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted August 10, 2014 Members Posted August 10, 2014 SOJOURNER I AM A VEGETARIAN ----I have heard that about 50 % of S.D.A. are vegetarians when ask why I am a vegetarian I say for 2 reason....1 Biblical (unclean meats) 2 health reasons(all other meats) I was not raised and S.D.A so i have eaten lots of meat or flesh foods as i call them-----to me any thing with a heart and blood is flesh foods after saying this a person does not have to be a vegetarian to be a member of the S.D.A. church but since i have not eaten any flesh foods for about 30 to 35 years i have discovered that i do not get that sick but i also to not smoke cigarette--cigars--or other tobacco products I do not drink any alcohol--wine--beer-----I do not drink any coffee or caffinated drinks which are all harmful to the body Doug, do you eat ice cream? Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Miss Jessie Posted August 10, 2014 Posted August 10, 2014 I am a vegetarian. I can't call myself a vegan. Vegans don't eat any animal products intentionally or knowingly, ever, including honey, and also don't wear animal products or use animal products. However, I do typically try to avoid dairy and eggs. The biggest problem is potlucks, where people bring dairy and egg products that aren't obvious and I eat it, or where people bring a vegan dish that doesn't look vegan, and I avoid it and miss out on something delicious. I think vegan food made from natural ingredients is healthier than non-vegan food, and a lot of vegan food (in my opinion) tastes better than non-vegan food. I can often taste the difference and lately am disgusted with the taste of non-vegan food...and just a few years ago I didn't think I could handle being an non-vegan, because I didn't like vegan cheeses. Now, I really like them...a lot. And I used to be a meat eater, a cheeseburgeratarian, and then a cheesatarian, but now I often have more energy, sleep better, can think more clearly, and weigh less than I would if I ate those other kinds of foods. However, my weight fluctuates even on an almost vegan diet (vegan as far as I know, except that I use honey), depending on how much and when I eat and how frequently, plus exercise...but I would probably weigh a lot more if I ate eggs and dairy regularly. I am still at least 10 pounds lighter than I was on an egg and dairy diet. The biggest difficulties are getting vitamin B12 from a vegan source, but some soy/almond milks are fortified with it, and it's also in nutritional yeast flakes, too. Quote
LifeHiscost Posted August 10, 2014 Posted August 10, 2014 Here's an interesting hazard meat eaters may choose to avoid. http://www.weather.com/video/meet-the-ti...ews/top-stories God is Love! Jesus saves! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted August 10, 2014 Moderators Posted August 10, 2014 Both APL and I reported this in a post in this section on August 8. Quote Gregory
Sojourner Posted August 11, 2014 Author Posted August 11, 2014 Interesting that we have a reasonably diverse group in here on this subject, I think that is indicative of freedom of choice and also clear evidence of people having given this issue quite some thought and research. In my State they are beginning to run the CHIP program, I that this may have come from the US. In any event I have decided to give it a go and simply try it out and see how it works and so forth. In my current case its no non Kosher meats in accordance with the SDA doctrine on that issue, yet we also no longer eat lamb after my young daughter went petting lambs at a children's zoo, then made the connection whilst going through the supermarket one day. Its was her decision and we decided to support it as a family rather than try and over rule her thoughts and feelings on it. My main concern over meat eating is simply the sheer volume that people tend to eat of it in cases three times per day and I think that is way over the top and cant be good for health. My understanding is that historically whilst people may have eaten meat, it was massivley expensive and not eaten anything like the way it is offered today and I do wonder if some of the health problems we are seeing today do in fact relate to the massive over consumption of these meat products? Quote
Members phkrause Posted August 11, 2014 Members Posted August 11, 2014 @ PK- mmmmm- portabello burgers! I got hubby hooked on those and also our Korean homestay boy Rather good ain't they. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted August 11, 2014 Moderators Posted August 11, 2014 Quote: In my current case its no non Kosher meats in accordance with the SDA doctrine . . . SDAs do not teach that we should only eat Kosher meat, if we are going to eat meat. Rather, we teach that if we are going to eat meat it should only be the so-called "clean" meat. The term "kosher" applies to all of the "clean" meats. IOW, beef may be kosher and it may not be kosher. The same applies to chicken, tuna and all of the other clean meats. Actually, kosher applies to more than the foods you eat. It applies to how you have your kitchen organized and how you cook your food as well as well as more. Actually, the laws of keeping kosher are extensive and they are complicated. One example is found in Exodus 23:19, where the Bible says that a goat should not be cooked in its mother's milk. As one can not generally determine the source, today, of the milk, the modern law of kosher prohibits cooking meat in any pan that has ever cooked something that contained milk--unless that pan has been purified according to the law of kosher. Kosher is not a term that is defined in the Bible. Keeping kosher is defined in a set of laws that is defined outside of the Bible. However, as I have illustrated above, those may refer back to Biblical texts. In short, the SDA church does not teach that we should keep kosher. NOTE: In the U.S. a supplier of beef hotdogs is currently advertising that their hotdogs are kosher and should be eaten by everyone as kosher is better, they claim. Quote Gregory
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted August 11, 2014 Moderators Posted August 11, 2014 One of the questions that vegetarians face is whether or not they will eat cheese, due to the fact that it contains rennet. This is much less of a question today. The majority (80% to 90%) of the cheese sold in the United States in made from rennet that is made in a laboratory and did not come from an animal. In the developed countries this is becoming more and more true today. One source for this comment is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rennet#Alternative_sources_of_rennet However, Wikipedia is not the only source. If you search the Internet, you can find other sources for this information. Quote Gregory
Administrators debbym Posted August 11, 2014 Administrators Posted August 11, 2014 for me the presence of rennet is the least reason not to eat cheese. dairy and eggs are animal based food sources. i have a cheese habit that intermittently blooms, and feel better when i am able to by pass it. i am gently working towards a full plant based diet. animal sourced proteins change the chemistry of the whole body. i want to mention that processed sugar in my diet is far more of a health concern then the animal proteins. it is sugar that plaques up the arteries, and then excess salt that precipitates the stroke. Quote: on vegetarian and vegan and omnivore eating Although a low-saturated-fat vegan diet may markedly reduce risk for coronary heart disease, diabetes, and many common cancers, the real Achilles heel of the low-fat vegan diet is the increased risk of hemorrhagic (vessel rupture leading to bleeding) stroke. Apparently the atherosclerotic (plaque building) process that creates a local vascular environment favorable to coronary thrombosis (clot) and intravascular embolism (traveling clot) may be protecting the fragile blood vessels in the brain from rupture under years of stress from high blood pressure. Admittedly, hemorrhagic stroke is a very small percentage of the deaths in modern countries. It still is worth noting that if strict vegetarians are to have the potential to maximize their lifespan, it is even more important they avoid a high salt intake because salt intake increases blood pressure. Almost all of the soy based meat analogues and many other health food store (vegan) products are exceptionally high in sodium... Both vegetarian and omnivorous and diets can be made healthful or harmful; nutritious food choices, wise supplementation and nutritional sophistication will make the difference in the type of diet you choose. Following a strict vegetarian diet is not as important as eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Inclusion of high nutrient produce, including nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables and beans are an essential part of every healthy diet. cleaning up my diet is not something i do by stern discipline, it is by yielding to that still small voice, that gently moves me, "this is the way walk ye in it." Quote deb Love awakens love. Let God be true and every man a liar.
LifeHiscost Posted August 12, 2014 Posted August 12, 2014 Quote: cleaning up my diet is not something i do by stern discipline, it is by yielding to that still small voice, that gently moves me, "this is the way walk ye in it." Thanks for revealing what I more or less had considered was making life fit into Jesus' promise to all He's calling to Himself, as well as those who are already His friends. "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."Matt 11:28-30 KJV God is Love! Jesus saves! Quote Lift Jesus up!!
nuff sed Posted August 15, 2014 Posted August 15, 2014 Seventh-day Adventist meat-eaters who decide to clean up their diet should feel a little better when they realize that by doing so they have stopped disobeying God. I do not know any meat-eaters who follow the Biblical requirements which forbid the partaking of the fat and blood. Meat is tasteless without them both. I am not condemning meat eaters....simply stating facts. Nuff Sed Quote
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted August 15, 2014 Members Posted August 15, 2014 how can a vegetarian explain eating an apple with a face? Oh, the humanity!!! Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
thx4mercy Posted August 15, 2014 Posted August 15, 2014 Seventh-day Adventist meat-eaters who decide to clean up their diet should feel a little better when they realize that by doing so they have stopped disobeying God. I do not know any meat-eaters who follow the Biblical requirements which forbid the partaking of the fat and blood. Meat is tasteless withoutthem both. I am not condemning meat eaters....simply stating facts. Nuff Sed I love your boldness! But if I were a meat eater....probably not. However, I imagine that they will continue to do what they want to. But hopefully people will stop and really think about what you said. Quote
Stan Posted August 16, 2014 Posted August 16, 2014 Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
CoAspen Posted August 16, 2014 Posted August 16, 2014 Quote: .....should feel a little better when they realize that by doing so they have stopped disobeying God. So...how did they eat meat in the OT? In the NT. Or any where else? You say that you are not 'condemning meat eaters', while at the same time stating they are disobeying God. Maybe you should 'splain' yourself...eh? So did everyone just sandal leather? Quote
Aliensanctuary Posted August 16, 2014 Posted August 16, 2014 Saw recently on NRB channel a pitch for the Maker's Diet Revolution, a diet book based on the foods mentioned in the Bible. Plants that grow from seeds is the mainstay in the first few weeks, then some clean meats are added. Also important, according to the program, were the times when food is supposed to be eaten. Eating later in the morning is better than an early breakfast. Most following the diet lost 12-15 lbs. during the first 2 weeks or so. The book cost $40 on the program, so I didn't bite. The book is cheaper on Amazon, less than $20. Quote The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.