Dr. Shane Posted January 21, 2006 Posted January 21, 2006 For all the movie goers that come here. This weekend we ought to cast our votes with our dollars at the box office. This weekend is when our dollars will speak loadest. >>> End Of The Spear <<< Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted January 21, 2006 Author Posted January 21, 2006 “From a true story / End of the Spear is the story of Mincayani, a Waodani tribesman from the jungles of Ecuador. When five young missionaries are speared to death by the Waodani in 1956, a series of events unfold to change the lives of not only the slain missionaries' families, but also Mincayani and his people. / A savage killer from a remote Amazon tribe becomes grandfather to the grandchildren of the North American man he killed. Mincayani is born into the most violent society ever documented by anthropologists, the Waodani in the eastern rainforest of Ecuador. As he grows he learns what every Waodani understands, he must spear and live or be speared and die. Mincayani's world changes when he and his family kill five missionaries, Nate Saint, Jim Elliot, Ed McCully, Pete Fleming and Roger Youderian. This incident propels Mincayani's family group down an extraordinary path that culminates in them not only departing from violence, but also caring for the enemy tribe they had once violently raided. Nate Saint's son Steve was a boy when his father and friends were killed. He returns to the Waodani as an adult and finally learns from Mincayani what happened during the last minutes of his father's life. Together Mincayani and Steve find that what Nate accomplished in his death gave them both a new life and Steve's family becomes part of Mincayani's family. 50 years ago, one of the greatest stories of forgiveness was born. It was born from the death of five missionaries, led by Jim Elliot and Nate Saint, and grew from the discovery of hope that followed. In January 2006, 50 years after the spearing, the feature length movie will release in theaters nationwide. GET READY FOR THIS STORY TO IMPACT THE WORLD AGAIN. It's a story that many will never forget. It's a story that is very much alive.” Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted January 22, 2006 Author Posted January 22, 2006 I am going to go tomorrow at 11:30am. It is playing in a local theatre. I would take my wife but we don't have anyone to take care of our kids. So she will have to wait until it comes out on DVD. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Michelle Posted January 22, 2006 Posted January 22, 2006 Or she could go while you stay home with the kids . . . . M Quote
Dr. Shane Posted January 22, 2006 Author Posted January 22, 2006 Yes, if she had a driver's lisence we could both go, just at different times. Maybe I could drop her off during the week and do something with the kids. Now that is a thought. Although I wouldn't be there to translate anything for her Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
cricket Posted January 22, 2006 Posted January 22, 2006 Why don't you skip the show, wait until it comes out on DVD (watch it with her) and begin teaching her how to drive so she can get her license? Quote
Moderators Gregory Matthews Posted January 22, 2006 Moderators Posted January 22, 2006 Re: "I would take my wife but we don't have anyone to take care of our kids." So, you and your wife never go anyplace together, unless your children are with you! Sounds like a good way to build a marital relationship to me! Quote Gregory
Dr. Shane Posted January 22, 2006 Author Posted January 22, 2006 I guess I need to remind a few that the focus of this thread is to be on a Christian movie. Today is the last day to see it during the opening weekend - that is when our vote in dollars most counts. I am going, not because I love going to the theater so much, but because I want to cast my vote with my dollars. If we want Hollywood to make more Christian movies, we need to attend those they make while they are in the box office. Our attendance speaks loadest during the opening weekend. If we can't get there for some reason, we should still go before it leaves the theater. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted January 22, 2006 Author Posted January 22, 2006 I just got back and let me say this... If you haven't seen this movie yet, and have the time, go tonight! I have no doubt that this is how God would have us use the movie theater. This is a movie of Love Courage Forgiveness Dedication to the Great Commission This movie captures the spirit of first century Christianity. Go see it and tell all your friends and family about it. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted January 23, 2006 Author Posted January 23, 2006 This movie captures what it really means to be a Christian. The courage of the widows is unbelievable. It is what the apostales had when preaching in the face of death. I don't want to reveal too much. I am hoping someone else that has seen the movie will contribute their thoughts. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Michelle Posted January 23, 2006 Posted January 23, 2006 Shane--I won't see the movie until DVD because that's one that won't be shown on this side of the pond, but I recently saw an announcement in an email I get and I've watched the trailer--I really want to see it. I recently read a YWAM biography of Nate Saint to my boys and was fascinated with the son's decision years later. A book they really enjoyed. So, maybe next summer I can pick it up on DVD when I'm home on furlough . . . . M Quote
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted January 24, 2006 Administrators Posted January 24, 2006 This movie is on my "must see" list, but given the busy pattern of life, it may end up waiting until it comes out on DVD. Apparently it is quite faithful to the real life events. A few years ago Steven Curtis Chapman featured this story in a concert that we attended. He had two people there, I believe it was Steve Saint and one of the tribesman named Mincaye, to tell some of the story. Chapman has a recording of Mincaye chanting a song that Chapman incorporated into one of his songs on his Declaration CD, which they also performed at the concert. Tom Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Dr. Shane Posted January 24, 2006 Author Posted January 24, 2006 The more of us that see it in the theater the strong message we send that this is the type of movie we want and more importantly, these types of movies are profitable to make. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted January 26, 2006 Author Posted January 26, 2006 Tonight on America Talks they discussed this movie. The question was asked if the secular viewer could even grasp why these missionaries were doing what they were doing? Has anyone other than me seen this movie yet? Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Toni Posted January 26, 2006 Posted January 26, 2006 I really want to see it, Shane. Today was payday, and I'm thinking I'd like to go....I don't know though, money is so tight right now. I'll let you know if I do! Quote Toni
Michelle Posted January 26, 2006 Posted January 26, 2006 Tom--I had forgotten about that song--I have that CD--should listen to it again. M Quote
Dr. Shane Posted January 28, 2006 Author Posted January 28, 2006 What will you be doing after sundown this Sabbath? Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
cricket Posted February 3, 2006 Posted February 3, 2006 Apparently, this movie has stirred some criticism even in the Christian circles: http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/gossip/13777202.htm Quote
Nicodema Posted February 3, 2006 Posted February 3, 2006 Wow, this is the first I've heard of this movie. Wish I'd seen this thread sooner ... if it's playing around here I'm going to go this weekend! I totally LOVE missionary stories!!! Quote "After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot
Nicodema Posted February 3, 2006 Posted February 3, 2006 Yes! Score!! It's playing in the next town over (about a 15-20 minute drive) at noon on Sunday! I am THERE! Gonna see if my son wants to come too! WOOT! Quote "After such knowledge, what forgiveness?" -- T.S. Eliot
Dr. Shane Posted February 3, 2006 Author Posted February 3, 2006 Quote: "End of the Spear,"... is provoking a side debate among some religious conservatives because lead actor Chad Allen has advocated for gay causes. | ...Nate Saint, played by Allen, and four colleagues who were killed Maybe that is why they gave him the role that got a spear through his heart. Hahahahahahha just kidding Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Moderators Nan Posted February 3, 2006 Moderators Posted February 3, 2006 Slightly off topic - when I was a kid I got a book from the church library that must have been about the wives of these men, I believe they went back to work either in the area, or on the task of translating the Bible into their language, after their husbands had been killed. Did anyone read such a story? Quote
Michelle Posted February 3, 2006 Posted February 3, 2006 I am so curious to hear what you think of it, Nico. I really want to see it (and I would be interested in the previous movie which is more of a documentary, as well). M Quote
Dr. Shane Posted February 3, 2006 Author Posted February 3, 2006 Quote: I got a book from the church library that must have been about the wives of these men, I believe they went back to work either in the area, or on the task of translating the Bible into their language, after their husbands had been killed. That is what happened in the movie. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.