Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 10/24/2017 in all areas

  1. phkrause

    Dog Gone It

    An exhausted Chaim Yankel dragged himself in to his Doctor's office. "Doctor Shpielman, there are dogs all over my neighborhood. They bark all day and all night, and I can't get a wink of sleep." "I have good news for you Chaim Yankel," Doctor Shpielman said, rummaging through a drawer full of sample medications. "Here are some new sleeping pills that work like a dream. A few of these and your trouble will be over." "Great," said Chaim Yankel, "I'll try anything. Let's give it a shot." A few weeks later Chaim Yankel, looking worse than ever. "Doctor, your plan is no good. I'm more tired than before!" "I don't understand how that could be," said Dr. Shpielman, shaking her head. "Those are the strongest pills on the market!" "That may be true," answered Chaim Yankel wearily, "but I'm still up all night chasing those dogs and when I finally catch one it's hard getting him to swallow the pill!"
    1 point
  2. Gregory Matthews

    Point to Ponder

    Under standard conditions, light travels at a speed of 186,282 miles per second, or 299,795.458 meters per second. * It takes 500 seconds (a bit over 8 minutes) for a photon of light to travel from our sun to us. * It takes 100,000,000 seconds for a photon of light to travel from the sun to Proxma Centauri. * It takes 100 quadrillion (ten to the 17th power) for light to travel from the cosmic horizon to us. * Under standard thought, some of the photons hitting our bodies today have been traveling for some 13,800,000,000 years. * The atoms that currently make up our bodies may once have existed in dinosaur eggs, trilobites, deep within stars, and in gas that came from distant space. What has God wrought? NOTE: Most of the above information has come from: Caleb Scharf, "The Zoomable Universe," Scientific American, November 2017, pages 70 - 75. The material in that article came from: Caleb Scharf, The Zoomable Universe: An Epic Tour Through Cosmic Scale, from Almost Everything to Nearly Nothing. (A 2017 book published in China.)
    1 point
  3. CoAspen

    On Female Vulnerability!

    Sex crimes, of all types, are not about sex, but about control. Those sites, blogs, etc that complain about the way the males are being treated, are most often run by individuals who concern is about the role of men and women and who should be on top! I laugh when I hear all the hue and cry about poor men!
    1 point
  4. bonnie

    On Female Vulnerability!

    Not true. Her father took it to the authorities because "his little girl had been forceably raped". If it were not for fear of a pregnancy and her desire for revenge for being dumped daddy would never have known. The young man paid a stiff price for engaging in that behavior ,she in turn for a short time enjoyed sympathy.
    1 point
  5. bonnie

    On Female Vulnerability!

    I recently had this discussion with a young woman that constantly bemoaned the fact she didn't feel safe no matter where she went. Men were always hitting on her and some scaring her. Knowing her it was tough to know whether to laugh or cry. The choice of establishments she frequents, behavior ,language and dress advertises to the men near her she speaks and understands and agrees with their language. Which she explains is "My right". That much is true.No man has a right because of that to drag her behind the bar and rape her. But it would not surprise me as drunk as she gets to be agreeable to sex with someone just as drunk and at times possibly the aggressor. Is she vindictive enough if she feels justified to yell rape? Without a doubt. Maybe along with "It Is My Right as A Woman" common sense and self preservation should be preached as loud. If you speak the same language, act as if you are on the same page you are placing yourself in a "vulnerable" position I told her point blank her suggestive behavior,completely foul sexual talk and excessive drunkenness was a deliberate bid for the attention she claimed upset her so. She of course denied that
    1 point
  6. Gregory Matthews

    On Female Vulnerability!

    What Bonnie mentioned is called Statutory Rape. Under the law such does not require force. A conviction can be obtained when voluntary.
    1 point
  7. bonnie

    On Female Vulnerability!

    I doubt that is what Photodude was saying or implying. Women want to be seen as capable,intelligent and as strong as men,as they should be. Yet when it comes to this issue suddenly they don't have a clue as to the positions they deliberately place themselves in? No man has a right under any circumstances to rape a woman, no one has a right to force unwanted sex acts on anyone male or female. Young women seem so caught up in "It is my right" that the consequences of exercising those rights are neglected to be mentioned. Before I was married I dated a young man a couple of times. We went are separate ways and remained friends. Not long after he was arrested,tried, and convicted of statutory rape. Spent five years in the reformatory. He dated a girl that had her sights set on him, lied about her age. .He broke it off with her and began seriously dating another girl. Imagine his surprise when the young woman he had broken up with realized she had been raped. She told her father he had forced her and she was scared to come forward until she thought she was pregnant( which she wasn't). He freely admitted to the sex but vehemently denied force or any type of intimidation. Knowing both I believe him . With her behavior and bragging rights well known it is tough to see "rape". OTOH if you are going to engage in that behavior,male or female be adult enough to understand the position you are placing yourself in.
    1 point
  8. debbym

    On Female Vulnerability!

    if someone gets drunk and hits you with their car, do you call it regret car accident?
    1 point
  9. 8thdaypriest

    Opinion Poll of Adventists about Ordination of Women

    It may be off topic here, but how much distinctive doctrine must a person accept, for that person to be baptized? This is the problem I ran into when searching for a pastor to baptize Hilda. She cleaned house for me for a couple of years. She began asking me questions about God, and progressed to some serious study. Baptism was her idea. She had only been sprinkled as a Catholic, and she wanted very much to be baptized. In my search I talked to several pastors. Every one of them wanted Hilda to study into their distinctive doctrines, and to join their church though baptism. She did not want to join their church. She just wanted to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ (as Peter said on the day of Pentecost). And that was another problem, to be baptized only "in the name of Jesus". I couldn't find anyone to do that - at least not within 50 miles of our small town. Finally Hilda and my husband talked me into baptizing Hilda. My husband set up a kiddie pool on the driveway, and with much prayer and thanksgiving Hilda was baptized into Christ. I even found a baptismal certificate from CBD with those words "in the name of Jesus Christ".
    1 point
  10. 8thdaypriest

    Opinion Poll of Adventists about Ordination of Women

    Judges 4:4 "Now Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, was judging Israel at that time." (NKJ) 2 Kings 22:14 "So Hilkiah the priest, Ahikam, Achbor, Shaphan, and Asaiah went to Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe. (She dwelt in Jerusalem in the Second Quarter.) And they spoke with her." (NKJ) Isaiah's wife was a prophetess. Isaiah 8:3 "Then I went to the prophetess, and she conceived and bore a son. Then the LORD said to me, 'Call his name Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz;'" Luke 2:36 "Now there was one, Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was of a great age, and had lived with a husband seven years from her virginity; " It appears that prophesying was one ROLE that was recognized and allowed a woman. Perhaps because the LORD made the choice, and not men. The same would be true for "judging". The LORD chose Deborah, and the men simply recognized the LORD's choice.
    1 point
  11. 8thdaypriest

    Opinion Poll of Adventists about Ordination of Women

    I would think SDAs would be open to a woman teaching. They have reprinted the teachings of a woman - Ellen White - for 150+ yrs. I don't remember that Mrs White ever baptized anyone. So maybe that ROLE the SDAs would reserve for men.
    1 point
  12. 8thdaypriest

    Opinion Poll of Adventists about Ordination of Women

    What ROLE are we really talking about, which women should not fill? Baptizing? Preaching from the pulpit? Administrator? Counselor? I mean, I would take the advice of a 70 yr old - long in faith - grandmother, OVER a newly ordained young pastor - any day! A woman can become a geophysicist, or a biochemist, or a US senator, but somehow, when she enters the church door, she is confined to teaching kids or other women, and is asked only to cook, or sing, or maybe do the budget. Over the years I have received emails - from men - telling me it is not my place to teach. Then WHY did the Lord call me to teach? I WAS called to teach. I have absolutely no doubt of that. I have taught for some 38 years now. And I'm a woman. And MEN read the teachings on my website. I wonder what Paul will say to me. I'm sure that I will meet him one day.
    1 point
  13. 8thdaypriest

    Opinion Poll of Adventists about Ordination of Women

    There was another aspect to this, in Paul's day and the Greek/Roman culture. Wives were kept uneducated, and at home. There was a class of prostitutes however, which were VERY EDUCATED. Greek men did NOT have conversations with their wives. Wives were for one thing only - making sons, or daughters to use as bargaining chips. They were kept sequestered to make sure that any issue was the husbands. The men wanted conversation and entertainment, along with their sex, (think Geisha) and a class of educated escorts rose up to fill "the need". When those women began to convert to Christianity, many of them were more educated than the men who were running the congregations. And here was Paul, zealous for the reputation of the developing church. He would not want these women to take leadership roles in those congregations. Going back to the wives: What happens when women get together who have been shut up without company for some time? Yup. A lot of chatter. And they were usually up in a balcony overlooking the group of men. No wonder that Paul begged them, "Please ladies, could we have some quiet!" hahahaha When we apply the conditions of our own time and culture to those early congregations, we take Paul out of context. There is a little book I read years ago that speaks to this. "What Paul Really Said About Women" by John Temple Bristow. It's very worth a read. Some of Paul's teaching on women was quite radical for that age. "Love you wife AS yourself". Seriously! "Your body belongs to your wife." A Roman man would have found that one really hard to swallow.
    1 point
  14. dgrimm60

    Ancient Monuments

    GREGORY with GOLIATH being 9 feet tall and ADAM was to be 12 feet tall and eve was to be to his shoulders or 9 feet tall we are not going up ward but down ward === also with most of the people living to be 600===700==800 years I am sure they could do much more than people to day=====plus I am sure they had equipment to help them move all these large stones and other materials===these were not simple cave people just a thought here dgrimm60
    1 point
If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...