Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 04/24/2023 in all areas

  1. Dr. Shane

    Time for a Diet

    Tomorrow I will be starting a diet. I have been planning it for a few months. I have weighed 165 lbs most of my adult life. During my divorce (which lasted four years) I got up to 180 lbs. With the help of My Fitness Pal, I was able to get down to 145 lbs. Once I went off the diet, I gained ten pounds and stayed at 155 lbs for about four years. I continued to log my food in on My Fitness Pal, eat healthy and avoid overeating. After getting remarried, my new wife didn't like me logging my food in all the time. Our kids were big so it was just the two of us together eating most of the time. I quit logging in my food and gradually started gaining weight. Last year was a very stressful year for me. I won't detail everything but I have struggled with anxiety and mild depression. Being a counselor, I have several friends who are also counselors, and I pretty much knew what was going on with me. I also knew somethings are outside my control. So, now somethings have happened that have reduced my stress and I can feel the depression is lifting. I am back at the 180 lb mark again. The past year has not been as tough as my divorce years were - not even close. But, view my whole life story, the past year has been more difficult than any other with the exception of my divorce years. My wife is also on board with the diet now. Logging my food in on the app will not bother her anymore as she now understands the need and usefulness of it. I am planning to do intermittent fasting. I will only eat from noon until 8pm. I will also be eating 1,750 calories a day. I will take a sack lunch to work and walk in the park during lunch hours. I have a gym membership already. I will go there at least three times a week. More when my counseling/chaplain schedule allows me to. My goal is to get back to 165 lbs . That means I will probably need to get below 160 before I come off the diet but that is my plan.
    1 point
  2. Stan

    Warning--If you post Spam.

    any problems with spammers sine the post?
    1 point
  3. Gregory Matthews

    Word of Advice

    Word of advice—Loren Seibold: A word of advice from one who’s been there: instead of shooting the skunk in the garage attached to the house, give it every possible opportunity to go outside first. Please.
    1 point
  4. bonnie1962

    Transgender and LGBTQ+ rights

    Drugs cannot make anyone "so completely female", No matter how many drugs are pumped into someone's body, how many amputations are done, or how many cosmetic surgeries or years of counseling no one can introduce a completely female/male as we were designed. Females have a xx pair of sex chromosomes, males, an xy pair. It goes without saying that Bruce Jenner has the male XY. If he has become completely female how does that work? A baby's gender is determined at birth. Can the Bruce Jenner's claiming to have become female, grow ovaries, a uterus. become pregnant and carry a child for 9 months? I have four sons, they can masquerade as female and show some female characteristics, but they will always be male. A female claiming to be male cannot get prostate cancer. The prostate is a necessary part of the male reproductive system. How many females claiming to be males can develop the same type of male reproductive system? How sad when those that claim a belief in a God that created us male and female seem to believe that "man" can now take God's creation and transform it. There is something wrong obviously, but to claim drugs make someone "so completely female.” is simply false
    1 point
  5. Dr. Shane

    ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ closes on Broadway after 35 years

    I never saw it.
    1 point
  6. Stan

    Adventistdating.com

    Adventist Dating was created to help single members of our faith find a special someone and create an enduring, meaningful relationship. Since its reboot a few years ago it has seen tremendous success with 47,000 users across 170 countries, including teachers, medical personnel, lawyers, and of course clergy, all taking advantage of this unique platform in their search for an Adventist spouse. There has been countless marriages. A detailed profile which is incredibly thorough differentiates this website from hookup sites. Everyone must pass some basic understanding questions about the Seventh-day Adventists Church before being approved. Widowed and divorced more than welcome. All Adventist singles are welcome to try out this service with a free trial period. Of course, there are nominal fees afterward to cover expenses, if they so choose to search, it often takes several weeks or months to find a highly compatible spouse. Please share with your single Adventist friends about this most trusted service. www.adventistdating.com The Adventist Review take on Adventistdating. https://adventistreview.org/magazine-article/2102-54/
    1 point
  7. Dr. Shane

    Diabetes

    My family has always eaten a lot of whole grains but too much sugar. We eat brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta and even whole wheat pizza crust. We eat fish but stay away from red meat. But, too much sugar. That looks to change. The doctor thinks my daughter has prediabetes. In discussing this, my wife disclosed that she was diagnosed with prediabetes about ten years ago (which is why she avoids sugar). My wife hadn't mentioned that so I quickly ran her to the doctor, had some lab work done and determined she is still in the "pre" stage of diabetes. My daughter is studying to become a doctor and discovered her problem as part of a class activity. All the students had to test their own urine. Her results are conflicting. She has high glucose in her urine but her blood sugar is fine. There are some other things they found that do not quite make sense. We will go back to the doctor in a couple days for more tests and an ultrasound. Regardless, there will be much less sugar in our home.
    1 point
  8. Dr. Shane

    Making Healthy Friends

    Sally had been kicked out of her home shortly after she turned 18 years old. She was angry. She felt a sense of loss. She felt rejected. She felt neglected and not valued by the people that were supposed to be in charge of taking care of her. She sunk into a deep depression. She didn't want to get out of bed in the morning. She didn't take a bath or brush her teeth. She just felt like she stopped wanting to do life. Depression can really take the wind out of our sails and often times it is not as extreme as what Sally experienced. Jacob was asked to step down from teaching Sabbath School and to no longer help out with Pathfinders because some of the church members learned he struggled with same-sex attraction. That caused him to go into a mild depression. He still got up in the morning, brushed his teeth and went to work but lost interest in the things he used to like. He stayed home more by himself and isolated. Both Sally and Jacob were able to improve their mental health and enjoy life again but it took some effort and guidance from a Christian counselor. One of the most difficult things for both of them was getting out and making friends. In order to make a good friend, one needs to allow themselves to become vulnerable. They also need to make building relationships a priority in their life. A great friendship with another person isn't simply going to happen. We must put ourselves in positions where we are interacting with healthy people that are compatible to us. Church is a great place to start. That can be very hard when people in the church have hurt you. Sally's parents both went to her church and it was some misinformed and judgmental people that had caused Jacob problems. Nonetheless, both had to find places where they could make healthy friends.
    1 point
  9. Gregory Matthews

    Attack on the President

    Attack on President Biden: For an interesting look at what the Secret Service does to keep President Biden safe, see: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-secret-service-apprehended-an-intruder-at-the-white-house-it-turned-out-to-be-a-2-year-old-boy/ar-AA1a1Rhx
    1 point
  10. pierrepaul

    ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ closes on Broadway after 35 years

    One of the great shows. I almost bought tickets for the Good Friday performance a couple weeks ago, but they were almost sold out and the few tickets left were being sold at a price point a little too high for my tastes.
    1 point
If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...