Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 05/17/2023 in all areas

  1. phkrause

    Researchers Reveal Newfound DNA Repair Mechanism

    A new study adds to an emerging, radically new picture of how bacterial cells continually repair faulty sections of their DNA. https://nyulangone.org/news/researchers-reveal-newfound-dna-repair-mechanism? What is the Difference Between DNA And RNA? Both molecules transmit genetic information and consist of nucleic acids. Even their names sound alike, but their different chemical properties greatly affect their biological functions. https://davidson.weizmann.ac.il/en/online/askexpert/what-difference-between-dna-and-rna?
    1 point
  2. phkrause

    Space, NASA News

    The first radiation belt outside the solar system has been spotted For the first time, astronomers have spotted a band of radiation surrounding an object outside our solar system. https://www.sciencenews.org/article/radiation-belt-outside-solar-system?
    1 point
  3. Gregory Matthews

    The Sabbath & Christianity

    The Sabbath is a recent documentary film produced by Martin Doblmeier, who has produced several documentary films on Adventists. In this film he branches out and considers how Adventists and other groups of people relate to the Sabbath. The following link will take you to an article that informs you as to this documentary film. https://spectrummagazine.org/arts-essays/2023/view-sabbath-documentary This film may be views online at: https://www.journeyfilms.com/ If is also scheduled to be broadcast on PBS beginning in June, 2023.
    1 point
  4. Dr. Shane

    Sex Talk with Chidren

    This past Sabbath afternoon our church discussed behavioral addictions. Pornography addiction was one of them. I noted that there were children in the room. I think the youngest was four or five years old. There were a few between the ages of six and ten. And, there was a handful of teenagers. The speaker, a doctor in counseling (not me), discussed a study that indicated most boys are exposed to pornography for the first time between ages eight and ten. He was answering a question about when parents need to talk to their children about sex. The fact he emphasized is that if you don't talk to your children about sex, others will - guaranteed. It is best for you to talk to them before others do - so start early. As I looked around the sanctuary, it did not appear one family was uncomfortable with the discussion. I doubt that would have been the case twenty years ago or perhaps even ten. I have been taught the best way to protect children against sexual abuse is to educate them starting young. I started teaching my children basic sexual anatomy when they were three years old. I used some books I bought at the Christian book store that had some tasteful illustrations. The "talk" about birds and bees was an ongoing conversation. It must start and end before the children become adolescents. Teenagers do not want to talk about sex with their parents. And, that is how it was in our home. My children listened to me until they were about 11 or 12. At that point they would say "TMI, Dad". They are now 20 and 22 and have began discussing sexuality again.
    1 point
  5. Gregory Matthews

    Machine Transcription?

    Transcription: Would a machine, or a human be more accurate in transcribing a speech. A Pew research project studied some 60,000 sermons by both methods. How do you think they compared.? See: https://www.pewresearch.org/decoded/2023/05/11/can-machines-compete-with-humans-in-transcribing-audio-a-case-study-using-sermons-from-u-s-religiousservices/?utm_source=Pew+Research+Center&utm_campaign=9b8b87cba8-Weekly_5-13-23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-9b8b87cba8-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%SD
    1 point
  6. Gregory Matthews

    Adventists and Catholics

    On May 27 at 3 pm, Eastern time, there will be a Zoom discussion of the historic relationship between Adventists and Catholica. The following URL will inform you of this discussion. It will also inform you as to how you may obtain an invitation to participate in the forum. https://spectrummagazine.org/event/2023/reinder-bruinsma-adventists-and-catholics-story-turbulent-relationship-asheville-forum
    1 point
  7. I had a good relationship with the Catholic priests that I worked with. On several occasions I went with the priest to provide the Sacrament of the Sick. I will give you another interesting issue that came up. One morning I recieved a telephone call in my office. The woman calling me identified herself as the sister of a patient in our hospital. She informed me that she, other family members, and her pastor would arrive the next morning. I was to be ready for the pastor to baptize the patient, by immersion. NOTE: That can be arranged, if the physicians do not object. But they have to approve. I informed her that I would get back to her, probably in about an hour. So, I went to visit her brother, who was a devout Catholic. He said he would delighted to have her and any other family members visit him. But, he wanted nothing to do with her pastor. So I telephoned the woman and told her that her brother would be delighted to visit with her and any other family members. But, I told her that her pastor would not be allowed to see him. And I would have the pastor removed from the hospital if he attempted to visit the patient. She informed me that none of the family members would visit the patient.
    1 point
  8. I made a telephone call, and I have the truth about this situation: * Catholic services at the Walter Reed Medical Center were provided by an in-house Catholic chaplain and a group of Catholic priests who were under contract to provide additional services to Walter Reed patients. * The additional Catholic priests were provided under a contract that was time-limited and came to an end. * At that time the contract was put out for a competitive bid, and was awarded to the lowest bidder. * A non-Catholic person submitted the lowest bid to provide Catholic priests to Walter Reed and was awarded the Contract. * No Catholic priest has been willing to work for that person in the capacity of supplying services to Walter Reed. So the person awarded the contract has been unable to supply Catholic priests to Walter Reed. * A process is taking place that I expect will cancel the contract to that person and will result in a new contract being issued to a valid Catholic agency. * In the mean-time, a Catholic priest is working 7-days a week, at Walter Reed to provide Catholic services to Walter Reed patients. I trust this will clarify the situation. Gregory Matthews
    1 point
  9. This article explores the impact Supreme Court's recent decision in National Pork Producers Council et al v. Ross.View the full article
    0 points
  10. Lawsuit claims Rudy Giuliani said, ‘Get over the Passover. It was like 3,000 years ago.’ (JTA) — Rudy Giuliani, the former New York City mayor who became an aide to former President Donald Trump, mocked Jews for observing Passover, according to a lawsuit filed Monday by a former assistant who is accusing him of sexual assault and harassment. https://www.jta.org/2023/05/16/united-states/lawsuit-claims-rudy-giuliani-said-get-over-the-passover-it-was-like-3000-years-ago? Elon Musk says George Soros ‘hates humanity’ and likens him to a comic book villain Holocaust survivor WASHINGTON (JTA) — Elon Musk tweeted that George Soros “hates humanity,” and wrote that the billionaire and progressive megadonor “reminds me of Magneto,” a comic book villain who features in Marvel’s X-Men series. https://www.jta.org/2023/05/16/politics/elon-musk-says-george-soros-hates-humanity-and-likens-him-to-a-comic-book-villain-holocaust-survivor?
    0 points
  11. Gregory Matthews

    Feeding the Homeless

    When feeding the homeless is a religious liberty issue in California, see: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-california-city-is-trying-to-block-a-christian-group-from-feeding-homeless-people-now-the-doj-is-weighing-in/ar-AA1b2LHP?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=84a6db8b6ce2413ba3477d5fc6eac39a&ei=8
    0 points
If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...