olger Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 My oldest son & I are heading to Minneapolis/St. Paul thursday morn to attend the GYC. What is that? The General Youth Conference, where there will be great speakers and lots of committed Adventist youth looking for encouragement. Blessings, olger Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
pacunurse30 Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 No I've never been. And now I think I'm too old to be considered "youth." :( Quote
Woody Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 I would bet pacunurse ... that most of the speakers there will be older than you ... So don't be shy. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
olger Posted December 18, 2007 Author Posted December 18, 2007 I'm a geezer, PN. But my son wanted me to attend with him and I do know several of the speakers. I think I'll leave the cane at home . oG Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Guest charis Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 I'm a geezer, PN. But my son wanted me to attend with him and I do know several of the speakers. I think I'll leave the cane at home . oG oG's new avatar Quote
Taylor Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 I'm a geezer, PN. But my son wanted me to attend with him and I do know several of the speakers. I think I'll leave the cane at home . oG ROFL! Have fun! Quote
Taylor Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 No I've never been. And now I think I'm too old to be considered "youth." There is wisdome in age but there are usually speakers that are in their 20's or early 30's as well as those in their retirement years. Quote
olger Posted December 18, 2007 Author Posted December 18, 2007 This year: Nathan Renner Mark Finley Bob Folkenberg Samuel Koranteng Pipim David Gates Stephen Bohr Justin Kim and Angelo Grasso Tim Riesenberger Peter Gregory Dick Ofill Ron Clouzet Neil Nedley Bruce Ashton Alan & Nicole Parker David Gates It ought to be fun! oG (Possible problem - a Google search places the GYC right next to the Gay Youth Corner. The devil is busy). Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Guest gem Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 I'm a geezer, PN. But my son wanted me to attend with him and I do know several of the speakers. I think I'll leave the cane at home We're all young at heart. Aren't we? :smilewink: Quote
olger Posted December 18, 2007 Author Posted December 18, 2007 Originally Posted By: olger I'm a geezer, PN. But my son wanted me to attend with him and I do know several of the speakers. I think I'll leave the cane at home We're all young at heart. Aren't we? :smilewink: Right ! Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
JeriAnne Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 I refuse to be old too!!! But I am becoming too symptomatic for denial!!! ARGH!!! Quote
David Koot Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 Old? Old? Indeed. I do NOT get old! 'Old' is a state of mind. I still go out rowing and various other activities. 'Old' is a word I simply don't recognize. Cheers. Quote
Taylor Posted December 18, 2007 Posted December 18, 2007 AMEN preach it brother! Age is a ste of the mind and I simply don't understand the word Old either. Quote
Neil D Posted December 19, 2007 Posted December 19, 2007 I have in my room a plaque that says - "Age is really a matter of Mind....if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. " Since I don't think it matters, I must not mind...a point of view that many here would agree with, I am sure... Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
pacunurse30 Posted December 19, 2007 Posted December 19, 2007 Hmmm, maybe I'm not too old then? LOL. No seriously though, I am not really old. I'm still in my early 30s. I just don't feel that some of the message at youth events apply to me anymore. A lot of them address being single, sexual purity before marriage, looking for a mate, dating, etc. I need to attend the conference on "how to stay sane when your spouse is driving you crazy." :) Quote
olger Posted December 19, 2007 Author Posted December 19, 2007 :) Hi PN. I would be glad to send you a DVD that addresses those things. Nancy & I have been married 25-years, and we didn't always know how to reach the heart of each other. God in His goodness showed us how to resolve that things that block emontional intimacy. We presented these principles in TN last month to a group of Adventists. I am amazed how God can change a life. oG Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Guest gem Posted December 19, 2007 Posted December 19, 2007 Hi PN. I would be glad to send you a DVD that addresses those things. Nancy & I have been married 25-years, and we didn't always know how to reach the heart of each other. God in His goodness showed us how to resolve that things that block emontional intimacy. We presented these principles in TN last month to a group of Adventists. I am amazed how God can change a life. Nice. Quote
olger Posted December 21, 2007 Author Posted December 21, 2007 Well the GYC is in full swing. There are over 1,000 youth here that are looking for ways to serve God more fully. It's inspiring. The Adventist Movement is alive and well if the testimonies are any indication. The spirit here deepens my appreciation for the Three Angels message, Jesus is coming back to judge the world in righteousness. Every soul is precious. Shawn Boonstra unveiled a new evangelization tool for youth tonight. Looks very good. They got over a thousand requests for Bible studies in Oregon, a normally tough area for the Advent Truths. Sam Pipim introduced one of the speakers and I was impressed how dynamic Sam really is. Very brilliant Bible scholar and one who cares for youth. I appreciate his willingness stand for the right even when it isn't politically correct or popular. Steve Bohr is one of the best bible teachers we have in this church--a real untapped gem. more later, oG Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Taylor Posted December 21, 2007 Posted December 21, 2007 I would be interested in what Shawn Boonstra has for the evangelism tool for youth. Can you give information on that when you get a chance? 1,000 Bible studies in Oregon is indeed excellent. Was this by using his "tool" or some other method? Quote
Woody Posted December 21, 2007 Posted December 21, 2007 Quote: They got over a thousand requests for Bible studies in Oregon, a normally tough area for the Advent Truths. I think there are some from Oregon who would wonder about that. I don't have the stats at hand. But I thought Oregon was one of the most dense Adventist areas. Quote: Steve Bohr is one of the best bible teachers we have in this church--a real untapped gem. I do appreciate the way Bohr opens and constantly refers to the Bible. With the exception of his series on Mary. Then ... All he did was quote Ellen White the entire time. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Ellen Posted December 22, 2007 Posted December 22, 2007 I attended one when it was called Youths Congress. It was in 1960 at Atlantic City. I think I was at one in Toronto way back then, too. The meetings are only part of the attraction, being with so many young adventists and picking up things from each other leaves good memories. I'm sure I could still get something out of attending but I won't. Quote
Woody Posted December 22, 2007 Posted December 22, 2007 Praise God From Whom ALL blessings flow. Praise him all creatures here be low. Praise Him all above ye Heavenly hosts. Praise Father Son and Holy .... Ghost. Repeated .... ???????? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
there buster Posted December 22, 2007 Posted December 22, 2007 My sister attended that Youth Conference. Met her husband there. However, these GYC meetings are something else altogether. They are not a function of NAD youth department. They were started by Sam Pipim and Jay Gallimore of Michigan conference. My daughter and son-in-law attended the one in Chattanooga two years ago. They were not favorably impressed. Quote “the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell
delta Posted December 23, 2007 Posted December 23, 2007 The next Generation of Youth for Christ [formerly General Youth Conference] shall be held in San Jose, California--Christmas of 2008. By the way, according to the history of GYC, it was nothing to do with Sam Pipim nor Jay Gallimore. You can check by your own. I don't know too much about GYC, but the first conference was held at Pine Springs Ranch in Southeastern California in 2002. Everything's done by the Adventists Youth from different churches, SDA Universities and Academies--but no SDA organization/institutions officially involved nor sponsoring GYC. There is no promise that by attending GYC you will be prosperous, more healthy and exciting; However, one of the main focuses is for you to be fully happy because you're qualified to suffer with Christ and for Christ, and not with fanaticism. That's why GYC leaders expecting that not too many of youth will be favorably impressed. Well, you know that's because there's no fun in GYC, no happy hours, no sensational nor Bible games to be presented there. So in 2002 they're expecting only 250 attendees, by understanding that generally speaking this kind of conference is not too interesting for our youth. But to be surprised they had to close registration at 425! In fact, since more and more people had been registered there's no camp meeting/retreat place allowed for GYC even in the places with the larger capacities because it's still too many Adventists youth already registered. It's also surprising and interesting here that Adventists young people came from as far away as Canada, Mexico, Iceland, Norway, Australia, Singapore, Thailand, Africa, Austria, South Africa, Sudan, Philippines, and the United Kingdom, etc. In 2003, 800 Adventist youth gathered in Ann Arbor, Michigan In 2004, about 1200 registered for GYC in Sacramento, California. In 2005, around 2,200 young people gathered at Chattanooga, TN. In 2006, more than 2,600 Adventists youth registered for the conference, and 4,000 people attended the Sabbath morning events. It shall be, yes, our Lord will pour out once again the Holy Spirit so that this Advent Movement that have been started by totally young people in around 1800, shall be finished also by young generation in our age. Back to our history, God raised up the Seventh Day Adventists Movement by 100% using only the young men and women. In 1844 James White was 23 years old. Ellen G.White was 18, JN Andrews was 15, Uriah Smith was 12 years young. And the Spirit of Prophecy was NOT given to Ellen G.White. NOT AT ALL. Yet, God used to give all of the prophetic gift to a young people named William Foy. While he refused it, then the Lord gave the same vision through Hazen Foss. The same story happened. Finally, the weakest of the weak, Ellen White accepted the task. You see, even if Ellen White never being borned, never existed, God would called another young people to be a messenger of the Spirit of Prophecy...Because Adventist Movement is not an Ellen White fabrication, but a Global Movement in which the special duty is to prepare the last generation for the second coming of Jesus. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.