Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Ever been to GYC?


Recommended Posts

Posted

This annual GYC is an international meeting that usually held in December, where all Adventists Youth from every Nation, kindreth, tribe, tongue and people.

[http://www.gycweb.org/]

However, regionally there're GYC-type of conferences that have been growing around the world.

The following are just some of the GYC-type of Conferences sponsored and held by LOCAL Adventists Youth-a laymen ministry [not sponsored by GYC]

AUSTRALIA YOUTH CONFERENCE (www.australiayouthconference.org/)

KOREA YOUTH CONFERENCE (http://koreayouthconference.org/)

NEW ZEALAND YOUTH CONFERENCE (http://www.nzyc.org/)

....Etc.

In USA, the regional GYC-type of Conferences can also be found locally in your area. Those local Adventists young people should have their own annual conference. Again, this is nothing to do with official SDA organization/institution. Our young people made and sponsored their own local conferences (not sponsored by GYC):

NORTHWEST YOUTH CONFERENCE [http://www.nwyc.org/]

NORTHEAST YOUTH CONFERENCE [http://www.neyouthconference.org/]

SOUTHWEST YOUTH CONFERENCE [http://www.swyouthconference.org/]

SOUTHEAST YOUTH CONFERENCE [http://www.seyc.org/]

WESTERN YOUTH CONFERENCE [http://www.westernyouthconference.org/]

  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • olger

    17

  • Woody

    16

  • Taylor

    8

  • delta

    8

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

My sister attended that Youth Conference. Met her husband there.

However, these GYC meetings are something else altogether. They are not a function of NAD youth department. They were started by Sam Pipim and Jay Gallimore of Michigan conference.

My daughter and son-in-law attended the one in Chattanooga two years ago. They were not favorably impressed.

Having seen for myself, I cannot possibly imagine what your daughter found unpleasant at the Chattanooga GYC. I don't question her opinion, I search in vain to understand why.

This afternoon, I was one of 1184 Adventists who went canvassing in Minneapolis. The experience stretched me, and on the ride home in the bus (there were 20-buses) we all sang songs. The secular bus driver asked us to sing louder for her.

It was very good. After a great sermon by David Shin, we all mingled and prayed for one another. Mark Finley gave a great talk as well as Israel Ramos.

Good night to all,

oG

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Posted

Quote:
By the way, according to the history of GYC, it was nothing to do with Sam Pipim nor Jay Gallimore. You can check by your own.

Apparently, the Adventist Review is mistaken about this:

General Youth Conference

Quote:
officially sponsored by the Michigan Conference Public Campus Ministries Department

President of the Michigan Conference: Jay Gallimore

http://misda.org/article.php?id=16

Director of Public Campuse Ministries: Sam Pipim

http://misda.org/article.php?id=297

"Generation of Youth for Christ" is the current iteration.

This year's conference, three of the eight plenary speakers work for the Michigan Conference

http://gycweb.org/plenaryspeakers

Quote:
Israel Ramos — opening night speaker

Currently a pastor in the Michigan Conference, Israel has served as president of GYC for the past five years.

Steve Conway —morning devotional speaker

Pastor Conway and his wife, Tamara, currently work at the Center for Adventist Ministry to Public University Students, or C.A.M.P.U.S, on the campus of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor.

David Shin — evening devotional speaker

David Shin holds a Masters Degree in Historical Theology from Andrews University. He presently serves as an associate pastor at the Village Seventh-day Adventist church in Berrien Springs, Michigan.

And both Gallimore and Pipim are listed as seminar presenters.

Perhaps I do not understand your definition of 'has nothing to do with.'

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Posted

Yeap, that's right..Gallimore and Pipim has nothing to do with the HISTORY of GYC that was started in the late of 2001 and made their first conference in 2002 in SouthEastern California...because they're both not involved.

BTW, you know the weather there was not too bad last week during the convention. However the snowstorms and coldwave news days or weeks before really distracting and canceled almost another thousand of Youth that already planned to register.

Posted

Quote:
Gallimore and Pipim has nothing to do with the HISTORY of GYC that was started in the late of 2001 and made their first conference in 2002 in SouthEastern California...because they're both not involved.

Uh huh. Apparently HISTORY means the initial conference, since they and the Michigan Conference have been intimately involved with every one since then.

Apparently the Pilgrims had nothing to do with the HISTORY of the U.S., because Roanoke and Jamestown were founded earlier, and by others.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

Posted

Quote:
I cannot possibly imagine what your daughter found unpleasant at the Chattanooga GYC.

Of several things I remember they said, the one that stands out the most was the first speaker who declared that marriage and family were not for this generation, that they should be totally devoted to last-day evangelism. The speaker was himself married, and in his twenties.

With a beginning like that, it's pretty hard to recover credibility.

“the slovenliness of our language makes it easier to have foolish thoughts.” George Orwell

  • Members
Posted

Are you sure it was in 1960? I was attending GNYA in 64-65, my only year there, when we went to Atlantic City. Unless they had one each year there for awhile. I did enjoy it but not for the reason's most would give.

pkrause

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

Quote:
Having seen for myself, I cannot possibly imagine what your daughter found unpleasant at the Chattanooga GYC. I don't question her opinion, I search in vain to understand why.

The reason Olger ... is because you are the type of person that the conference was meant to be for. You buy the type of indoctrination that they are promoting.

It is clear to see the worship style they want to instill in these young people. Not one college or academy would put on this type of meeting. That's fine. They are paying to promote this among our youth and that is their privilege. I would not expect you to object the conservative line up of speakers.

They missed the opportunity to have some dynamic progessive speakers like Ed Dickerson. He would have been a great choice. So, I agree with Ick's daughter. It was very lacking and it only promoted a certain theological ideological agenda framework that they want to promote. And that is their privilege.

One clue is that the Michigan Conference was involved. Pipim and Galimore are the most extreme on the ideological spectrum. So, why would you deny it? It was just to you liking ... I don't doubt ... and like I said ... that is fine ... but admit it. Why would anyone but extremists like it though?

Again this year nothing but ..... Praise God From Whom ALL Blessings Flow .....

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

DOCTRINE is not a "dirty" word...!!!

Hi Redwood, How are you?

It seems like you have a special job from God to criminalize the conservatism, 'eh? or maybe a job from your own mighty "god" you adore?

Why you hate them so much?

Have you ever make an earnest prayer to God so that Conservative Adventists 'repent' and go to become Liberal? Why not?

Please, no offense here...but you also pretty much alergic to Adventists who share doctrines.

My friend...Seventh-day Adventists people is guaranteed has a lot of defects and weakness. But, please show me from the Bible if there is any of SDA church's doctrines that is not Biblical.

Doctrine is not a dirty word. Love is a doctrine. Unfortunately your attitude always attacking Adventists who share the doctrines by proclaiming,

"Let's talk more and more about Jesus and His love and less and less about doctrines." Oh my God, what a deception!

Remember, doctrines are reflecting the character of God, and God is love. So again, Doctrine is not a dirty word.

How can you share the love and mercy of Jesus by abandoning the sharing and teachings of His laws and His character at the same time? What kind of love is that?

Jesus tells us to love your enemy. Why don't you start praying for Conservative Adventists then?

What is the mission of the Seventh Day Adventists Church? Is the Church's mission bothering you?

Oh dear...

Redwood, why are you a Seventh Day Adventist?

Anyway,,, I'll pray for you Brother.

Posted

Thanks for your prayers Delta. I appreciate them and need them. I will also pray for you that you will read my words and not distort them for your own purpose and agenda. Making me "sound" like the villian does not make me the villian.

And why am I an SDA? Because I believe in all of the DOCTRINES of the church. But I am a Christian first and foremost.

Perhaps before judging me ... you should look up the thread "Conservative ?" I described myself and my beliefs. Everyone clearly indicated that I am a "classic conservative". And I am no "closet conservative" . NO . I live my conservativism.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Quote:
I cannot possibly imagine what your daughter found unpleasant at the Chattanooga GYC.

Of several things I remember they said, the one that stands out the most was the first speaker who declared that marriage and family were not for this generation, that they should be totally devoted to last-day evangelism. The speaker was himself married, and in his twenties.

With a beginning like that, it's pretty hard to recover credibility.

Hi Ed. I would find a statement like that bothersome too.

Thanks,

oG

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Posted

DOCTRINE is not a "dirty" word...!!!

[snip]

My friend...Seventh-day Adventists people is guaranteed has a lot of defects and weakness. But, please show me from the Bible if there is any of SDA church's doctrines that is not Biblical.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

 

George Bernard Shaw

 

Posted

Thanks Redwood. God bless you Brother.

I just want to also remind myself...If, for example, I got a hit-and-run horrible accident, and was hit by a blue Honda Civic; It doesn't mean that after that accident then I have to hate every blue Honda Civic I met everywhere I go.

That's totally a blind emotional, stupid and doesn't make any sense if I have a stereotype hard feeling like that.

And now, In case you've been an endless debate with a conservative Adventist...sooner or later you must have an uncounscious feeling that you hate him/her, right Redwood? I hope I am wrong here but in case the one that you hate is a conservative, It doesn't mean that every conservative Adventists around the globe automatically qualified to became hateable by yourself!

By the way, if for some reason you found a speaker at GYC that might probably in a little bit too emotional and beyond logic on a little portion of his sermon, is it good enough to jump into immediate conclusion that all other GYC speakers like Mark Finley or elses then you judge all of them with the same low credibility just because of the one speaker you heard earlier?

And now, Mr.Redwood, nobody cares "classic conservative" VS "closet conservative"...who cares? This is too much theological term and not so familiar since general people use the term

"Conservatism"[good] Vs "Fanaticism"[extreme and stupid].

Well, I know you don't like this, but please stop being so judgemental and flooding with your criticisms to many of conservative Adventist speakers[Why you hate them, anyway?]. On the other hand you never stop saying like this:

"....before judging me ... you should...."

Who judge who?

Relax, slow down!

Thanks

We Love you, brother. Happy Holiday.

Posted

Sadrach, Meshach, and AbedNego stood firm of what they believe-their doctrine.

Did God protect them?

or, let's picture this way: why that three people are so fanatics? It's easy just bow down and worship the image for their safety. Just compromising a little bit. By doing that they would never loss their good job, relationship with the king and neigbors. It doesn't matter whom they worship to and what are their doctrines as long as they're doing good and helping people, feed the hungry.

It doesn't matter what are their doctrines as long as they're doing justly and loving mercy, helping the poor, and feeding the hungry and be nice to other people.

It doesn't matter if they worship on Sabbath or Sunday as long as they're doing justly and loving mercy, helping the poor, and feeding the hungry and be nice to other people.

It doesn't matter how many wives/husbands or if practicing a free sex as long as we're doing justly and loving mercy, helping the poor, and feeding the hungry and be nice to other people.

It doesn't matter if people need to know about Jesus as long as we're doing justly and loving mercy, helping the poor, and feeding the hungry and be nice to other people.

Is that the attitude you believe, sir?

However, I believe the Bible teaching...that God's love and mercy is not separable with His truth. By showing and sharing our love to others, all of these are not as a licence or certification for us to forgetting His teachings and truth.

Jesus said, "IF YOU LOVE ME,______________________________"

Posted

Hey, Delta, whoever you may be . . . why don't you back off and give it a rest? You just may be barking up the wrong tree. I know Redwood, and no one on this forum is a more caring, more genuine person than he is. He puts us all to shame sometimes. Takes his Christianity very, very seriously. Take lessons from him.

Dave

Posted

It doesn't matter if people need to know about Jesus as long as we're doing justly and loving mercy, helping the poor, and feeding the hungry and be nice to other people.

Is that the attitude you believe, sir?

I believe you forgot the rest of the verse that I attempted to quote....

...and walking humbly with your God.

The answer is an unqualified "Yes"!

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

 

George Bernard Shaw

 

Posted

Quote:
Jesus said, "IF YOU LOVE ME

And we love you too Bonnie.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Ahh, I see. Do I understand that Delta is Bonnie? Well, if that is the case, then, Bonnie, you have been around awhile--certainly longer than I have. I hope you have a nice Christmas. But as for ol' Redwood, he's a good guy. None of us may agree on every point, but there are some good people out there.

Dave

Posted

Hey, Delta, whoever you may be . . . why don't you back off and give it a rest? You just may be barking up the wrong tree. I know Redwood, and no one on this forum is a more caring, more genuine person than he is. He puts us all to shame sometimes. Takes his Christianity very, very seriously. Take lessons from him.

Dave

I agree with this, Delta. It definitely sounds to me like Redwood is trying to calmly explain his point, and you are the one attacking. You make some good points, but the reverse is also true. It doesn't matter if we keeping the doctrines if we don't show love to others. Showing love IS more important than doctrines. Jesus Himself taught that, while at the same time He did not abolish the law. I think you were trying to tie them together, as well, but your *tone* of voice sounds very preachy and even attacking. I don't think it was called for.

Posted

Who are Bonnie, by the way? Try assuming that I was Bonnie and change my nick into "Delta"--my own nick? If you believe of your assumption here, it's okay.

Posted

Bonnie? Why, THE Bonnie! Whaddya mean, 'Who are Bonnie'? Hey, there is only one of you! the only and only. Each of us is unique in his or her own special way--and your writing style is unmistakably, inimitably, Bonnie's! tout le monde en parle, madame

Posted

Since the first time I read Redwood's postings...I just don't understand why he really don't like and and even hate our fellow conservative Adventists, SDA doctrines,or Ellen White by promoting "love".

That's probably true what others said that Redwood is very much an extremist-Liberal, but pretty expert in choosing diplomatic words carefully, nicely and 'lovely' to attack such as conservatism, Ellen White (because Redwood hates Ellen White for real), or doctrines...again by introducing "love".

But there is no evidence that Redwood-with his "love" dogma-try to embrace and pray then sharing his love to Adventists with their conservatism.

That's why since people said that I'm very preachy and even attacking...according to my *tone* of voice...but to be honest the *tone* I chose here I just do it on purpose at this point to see if Redwood's dogma of "love" would probably works for me.

Redwood believe that we must love others like Babtists, Methodists, Catholics, moslem, Buddhist, etc..which is I totally agree. Unfortunately, by saying that he doesn't say that we must also love conservative Adventists. Oh my..this is very very extreme.

I know that I am so lazy to read Ellen White book, but I just don't understand why Redwood-even though it's looks like he agree at first-but in fact always put himself as an opposer and feels uncomfortable if people quoting Ellen White's writings...

Why do you hate Ellen White, Redwood? Actually no attitude of your positive thinking and your "love" at this point. It is just a big lie if you said that you don't disagree with EGW.

So, please don't get angry here if some multitude say that your diplomatic, nice and lovely words obviously contain a lot of tricks and politics for your own sake and your group as well. No offense here. Just show your love to people that don't agree with your religion or your group.

Would you like to pray for them?

Posted

FWIW, and I do not want to bring up 7 years of history, but there has been more people injured by people assuming they were someone else, I am guilty of doing that as well.

In fact I am guilty of doing a lot of things that have hurt innocent people.

Chat to people on here, like your Mother was watching you... :)

If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses.

https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist

Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...