Moderators John317 Posted October 8, 2010 Moderators Posted October 8, 2010 Should the theology forums be more like the Origins forum? Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Moderators John317 Posted October 8, 2010 Moderators Posted October 8, 2010 I have found that most of my run-ins with moderators has been when they personally disagree with me. Whether moderators agree with someone should have absolutely nothing to do with it. It should have only to do with with whether the rules are being followed in terms of how viewpoints are expressed, not what those viewpoints are. That's how I see it. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Stan Posted October 8, 2010 Posted October 8, 2010 I don't have the level of control to make the existing Origins forum public. I have already posted in this thread that I'm happy as moderator for that to happen, but the final decision remains with Stan and the admin team. I'm happy to abide by their judgement. Let the games begin... will open it right now. Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Administrators Gail Posted October 8, 2010 Administrators Posted October 8, 2010 Let the games begin... will open it right now. I love the wording of this! LOL Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Moderators Bravus Posted October 9, 2010 Moderators Posted October 9, 2010 Thanks Stan. The Origins forum used to have two moderators, myself and Norm Finch, but Norm had to leave this site due to events in his life. I believe that I'm capable of being an impartial moderator, and hope those who have experience in that forum will back me up on that. In principle I wouldn't be opposed to having a co-moderator. The challenge would be finding someone from the other 'side' who nevetheless shared an overall vision of how the forum should operate. (A forum with moderators at cross-purposes would be a disaster.) As long as I am the moderator (I serve at the governor's pleasure) I will run the forum as I have been: a fundamental organizing principle of this site is that a moderator sets the tone of the forum for which s/he is responsible. There already exists a 'sticky' thread in the Origins forum outlining my approach to moderation. I have to admit I'm looking forward to the new life an infusion of new blood will give the Origins forum. Quote Truth is important
Moderators Bravus Posted October 9, 2010 Moderators Posted October 9, 2010 PS It is possible there will be a *perception* of bias about my moderation, because creationists seem far more prone to break the rule. They are never being moderated for being creationists, or for disagreeing with me, only for breaking the rule. Quote Truth is important
Moderators Bravus Posted October 9, 2010 Moderators Posted October 9, 2010 Hehe - re-reading the first couple of pages of the 'Moderating the Origins Forum' thread in that forum just reminded me of one thing: there is nothing new under the sun. Quote Truth is important
whbae Posted October 9, 2010 Posted October 9, 2010 What are we to discuss about creation? Don't we believe in the Bible about the creation? Won Quote
olger Posted October 9, 2010 Posted October 9, 2010 The Adventist position on Creationism should be discussed in an open public forum. The argument that it is "too sensitive" for public use is not a valid argument, as that could be used for any forum. If people want a private place to discuss these things, that is fine. But a public arena gives everyone, including casual passers by the opportunity to engage. As the very essence at the heart of the Three Angels Message is the Creator God and how He created, this should not be a hidden discussion. God did not tell us to give the message in closed forums. So I think a public forum would be in line with the 3 Angels Message and goals of the SDA church. The Biblical truth of Creation was never an issue, Twilight until people began to believe and defend evolution (couple moderators included). Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Moderators John317 Posted October 9, 2010 Moderators Posted October 9, 2010 My own position is that everyone's points of view in the discussion regarding evolution & creation ought to be allowed on the Forum. People should be allowed to also discuss the implications of evolution for Christian faith in general and for Seventh-day Adventistism in particular because that's a very important aspect of the topic on an Adventist forum. We should be able to do that and still show respect for one another. It doesn't call for us to attack one another's personal sincerity or faith. To do that would be judging people's hearts and motives. I believe those kinds of messages should be edited by the moderator. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Members phkrause Posted October 9, 2010 Members Posted October 9, 2010 My own position is that everyone's points of view in the discussion regarding evolution & creation ought to be allowed on the Forum. People should be allowed to also discuss the implications of evolution for Christian faith in general and for Seventh-day Adventistism in particular because that's a very important aspect of the topic on an Adventist forum. We should be able to do that and still show respect for one another. It doesn't call for us to attack one another's personal sincerity or faith. To do that would be judging people's hearts and motives. I believe those kinds of messages should be edited by the moderator. Excellent post John, I agree all should be able to discuss there point of views and opinions without being mocked or villanized for there position. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
olger Posted October 9, 2010 Posted October 9, 2010 "It doesn't call for us to attack one another's personal sincerity or faith." I agree Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
teresaq Posted October 9, 2010 Posted October 9, 2010 The Biblical truth of Creation was never an issue, Twilight until people began to believe and defend evolution (couple moderators included). would this qualify as "vilifying", and "attack one another's personal sincerity or faith"? certainly doeth appear to be in the eye of the beholder as to what that means... Quote facebook. /teresa.quintero.790
olger Posted October 9, 2010 Posted October 9, 2010 Absolutely not. Carry on. Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Moderators Jeannieb43 Posted October 9, 2010 Moderators Posted October 9, 2010 Thanks Stan. The Origins forum used to have two moderators, myself and Norm Finch, but Norm had to leave this site due to events in his life. I believe that I'm capable of being an impartial moderator, and hope those who have experience in that forum will back me up on that. I vote for Bravus as sole moderator. Quote Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....
Members phkrause Posted October 9, 2010 Members Posted October 9, 2010 I vote for Bravus as sole moderator. I second that vote, have absolutely no problem with Bravus being moderator. Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted October 10, 2010 Members Posted October 10, 2010 **Hand raised** Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
SivartM Posted October 10, 2010 Posted October 10, 2010 *raises three hands* Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
Members phkrause Posted October 10, 2010 Members Posted October 10, 2010 *raises three hands* OK Sivart I knew there was something about you that just didn't sit right, now I know what it is. LOL Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Neil D Posted October 10, 2010 Posted October 10, 2010 sold to the man whose masochistic tendencies surface from time to time Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Dr. Shane Posted October 10, 2010 Posted October 10, 2010 would this qualify as "vilifying", and "attack one another's personal sincerity or faith"? The problem is that some believe that if a person believes in atoms-to-man evolution, that person must be an atheist or devil worshiper. Some believe that evolution is itself a pagan religion. However there is a belief system known as theistic evolution. While that is not compatible with Adventism, it is compatible with some other Christian denominations. So just because someone believes in evolution doesn't automatically make them an atheist of devil worshiper. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
teresaq Posted October 10, 2010 Posted October 10, 2010 in other words, we can disagree with anothers viewpoint without getting personal and saying, "you ...." Quote facebook. /teresa.quintero.790
Twilight Posted October 10, 2010 Author Posted October 10, 2010 I do not think an evolutionist should be the moderator or at worst, sole moderator, of an origins based forum on a website that is there to share the unique views of Seventh Day Adventism, unless that is not the purpose of the forums. But I will of course respect the views of those that run the website, whilst disagreeing with them on this point. Quote The best wisdom is always second hand...
Dr. Shane Posted October 10, 2010 Posted October 10, 2010 Bravus is undecided when it comes to origins. He has stated his position many times here. He is neither convinced of evolution nor the Biblical account of creation. He comes off as if he is defending evolution because he often clarifies what evolution teaches. He is a science professor at a secular university. He may come off as a creationist to some of his non-Christian friends when he corrects them about what creationists believe. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Twilight Posted October 10, 2010 Author Posted October 10, 2010 Bravus is undecided when it comes to origins. He has stated his position many times here. He is neither convinced of evolution nor the Biblical account of creation. He comes off as if he is defending evolution because he often clarifies what evolution teaches. He is a science professor at a secular university. He may come off as a creationist to some of his non-Christian friends when he corrects them about what creationists believe. That was not the impression I have received. I am not arguing against Bravus as a person however, but I am arguing against the idea that we have to "accomodate" those that teach evolution to Adventists. They should not be given any position of authority or control over Adventists in any arena where the Adventist community is gathered to share their unique views with the world or to learn about their views. Unless of course the Adventist church decides to accept Evolution as a valid explanation of Genesis. At which point I would leave the church. Quote The best wisdom is always second hand...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.