Cosmin M. Posted March 5, 2011 Posted March 5, 2011 Whats so unclean about certain types of fish? Why can't we eat octopuses or clams or even lobsters? What's your opinion on this topic? Quote
Moderators Gerr Posted March 5, 2011 Moderators Posted March 5, 2011 1. Because God said it. 2. According to a lecture I heard recently, those that God pronounced unclean have much higher toxic substances in their bodies than clean ones. Quote
Moderators Bravus Posted March 5, 2011 Moderators Posted March 5, 2011 Yes, all of the food laws God instituted actually make a lot of scientific sense as well (which is unsurprising to me!) In general, the unclean kinds of seafood are either filter feeders (like shellfish) or things that feed on those (like octopi). Filter feeders tend to concentrate in their bodies anything that's nasty in the water, just due to the way they feed, and of course there's a magnification effect in things that eat them. Still, I don't mind some good clean prawns from good clean water, myself... Your mileage may vary. Quote Truth is important
Cosmin M. Posted March 5, 2011 Author Posted March 5, 2011 Still, I don't mind some good clean prawns from good clean water, myself... Your mileage may vary. Shrimp? Only ate it once and on accident at my school when I was around 8-10 cause I didn't know what it was. So your saying we could eat shrimp? Quote
Members phkrause Posted March 5, 2011 Members Posted March 5, 2011 Yes, all of the food laws God instituted actually make a lot of scientific sense as well (which is unsurprising to me!) In general, the unclean kinds of seafood are either filter feeders (like shellfish) or things that feed on those (like octopi). Filter feeders tend to concentrate in their bodies anything that's nasty in the water, just due to the way they feed, and of course there's a magnification effect in things that eat them. Still, I don't mind some good clean prawns from good clean water, myself... Your mileage may vary. Yes and I believe if we take a close look at all of the rules and regs that God had the Jews do, we will find a good health reason for them all. Not sure about your last paragraph though! :) Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators Bravus Posted March 5, 2011 Moderators Posted March 5, 2011 So your saying we could eat shrimp? Not if you follow the SDA dietary rules. I believe those were removed as rules in the New Testament, and that subject has been discussed at length here before. So, for me personally, it comes down to taste and common sense - the grounds are what is healthy and safe. For those who believe the Old Testament dietary rules still apply, no, shrimp/prawns would be off the menu. Quote Truth is important
Cosmin M. Posted March 5, 2011 Author Posted March 5, 2011 Originally Posted By: Cosmin M. So your saying we could eat shrimp? Not if you follow the SDA dietary rules. I believe those were removed as rules in the New Testament, and that subject has been discussed at length here before. So, for me personally, it comes down to taste and common sense - the grounds are what is healthy and safe. For those who believe the Old Testament dietary rules still apply, no, shrimp/prawns would be off the menu. Could you give me some verses in the Bible (New Testament) that talks about this... Thank you. Quote
olger Posted March 5, 2011 Posted March 5, 2011 Whoa. It sounds like you are saying that ham is ok to eat according to the New Testament, David. Is this what you believe, or did I misunderstand something? regards, `oG Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Moderators Bravus Posted March 5, 2011 Moderators Posted March 5, 2011 Yep. It's addressed twice, in Peter's vision of the unclean animals in Acts (I realise that it is a parable about people not food, but believe God would not have used a parable that taught error) and in Jesus' saying that it is not what goes into our mouths that makes us unclean but what comes out of them. I realise it's a bit controversial. I also realise that the health grounds remain, and I choose not to eat ham on those grounds... I do believe we need to take what the Bible says seriously. Quote Truth is important
Sonny Posted March 5, 2011 Posted March 5, 2011 I wouldn't look at it as rules....If you want a short life & disease, then eat the garbage collectors. Quote
olger Posted March 5, 2011 Posted March 5, 2011 True Sonny. Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Dr. Shane Posted March 5, 2011 Posted March 5, 2011 I see food and eat it. That is my see-food diet. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Woody Posted March 5, 2011 Posted March 5, 2011 lol Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
fccool Posted March 5, 2011 Posted March 5, 2011 I wouldn't look at it as rules....If you want a short life & disease, then eat the garbage collectors. Hmm... I'm sure you are unaware that people of Japan have the longest life expectancy in the world. I'm also sure that you are not aware that those garbage collectors comprise a very good part of their diets. Quote
Moderators Gerr Posted March 5, 2011 Moderators Posted March 5, 2011 Yep. It's addressed twice, in Peter's vision of the unclean animals in Acts (I realise that it is a parable about people not food, but believe God would not have used a parable that taught error) and in Jesus' saying that it is not what goes into our mouths that makes us unclean but what comes out of them. I realise it's a bit controversial. I also realise that the health grounds remain, and I choose not to eat ham on those grounds... I do believe we need to take what the Bible says seriously. I take it then that you have also embraced eternal burning hell and suffering because Jesus used the Rich Man & Lazarus for illustration? Quote
Members phkrause Posted March 5, 2011 Members Posted March 5, 2011 God has not changed any dietray laws or rules from the OT to the NT. Unless shrimp and prawns have changed there eating habits? I believe they still are garbage eaters? Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
olger Posted March 5, 2011 Posted March 5, 2011 Originally Posted By: Bravus Yep. It's addressed twice, in Peter's vision of the unclean animals in Acts (I realise that it is a parable about people not food, but believe God would not have used a parable that taught error) and in Jesus' saying that it is not what goes into our mouths that makes us unclean but what comes out of them. I realise it's a bit controversial. I also realise that the health grounds remain, and I choose not to eat ham on those grounds... I do believe we need to take what the Bible says seriously. I take it then that you have also embraced eternal burning hell and suffering because Jesus used the Rich Man & Lazarus for illustration? Thought about that myself.. Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Dr. Shane Posted March 6, 2011 Posted March 6, 2011 I'm sure you are unaware that people of Japan have the longest life expectancy in the world. This is true. Japan has the longest average life span of any country. Women average at 86 and men at 78. Iceland also scores well with women living to 83 and men to 80. The Loma Linda health study found the average life span for an Adventist vegetarian to be 85 for women and 83 for men. Those that ate fish live a little longer. Of course, what do Iceland and Japan have in common? Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
fccool Posted March 6, 2011 Posted March 6, 2011 I think the point is that these people eat "scavengers" and enjoy lives that are just as long as vegetarian adventist... in spite of 50% population who are smokers and drinkers... and who are living in heavily polluted environments. Quote
Dr. Shane Posted March 7, 2011 Posted March 7, 2011 It appears that their longevity has a lot to do with genetics, culture and the omega-3s they are getting from a diet high in fish. There isn't much reason to believe the scavengers they eat are contributing to their longevity. Adventists, on the other hand, must attribute their longevity to purely culture which is made up of lifestyle and faith. Since Adventists come from a wide genetic pool there is little reason to believe genetics contributes significantly to Adventist longevity. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Rich Posted March 7, 2011 Posted March 7, 2011 Who said you can't eat those things? God said "Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant." Gen 9:3 So what is the problem now? When the Hebrews were out in the wilderness they had no refrigeration or stoves to make sure their food was cooked at the right temp so God gave them a health code (not part of the ten commandments) in order to help keep them healthy so they could enter into the land that was promissed to them. Jesus said that it is NOT what goes into your mouth that defiles you, it is what comes out (words) that defile. And, when the nation of Israel ceased to be, so did all of the statutes, health codes, rules and regulations. But since the covenant was not incuded in these codes, then we still have the covenant. Just because some idiot tells you that these foods are unclean does NOT make them unclean. Many Adventists have lorded it over others not to do things that they can't back up from the words of Jesus Christ. Ever since 1888 they started to pick and choose what verses in the bible they want to believe and which ones they don't want to believe. The truth is there--but YOU must first seek it. Quote
Dr. Rich Posted March 7, 2011 Posted March 7, 2011 As for what Luke wrote about hell in the story of the Rich man and Lazereth, don't believe every word from Luke as he was a gentile and follwer of Paul and never met Jesus Christ. His words at best are suspicious as other stories such as the two thieves and the prodigal son that you will not find in the writings of the eyewitnesses of Jesus' ministry. Sure, you choose to believe them or not. But don't get bent out of place by doing so. As for me, I seriously doubt if the Jesus I knew from the eyewitness' account would ever say such a thing. Quote
Moderators John317 Posted March 7, 2011 Moderators Posted March 7, 2011 By distinguishing between clean and unclean animals, God had already limited the kinds of animals that should be eaten. So when he said "every moving thing," it was already assumed that "every moving thing" would be from among the clean animals. Why would God talk about the clean and the unclean animals and then say that whether they are clean or unclean is totally irrelevant? It makes sense that God doesn't want His people to eat the garbage disposals, which is what most of the unclean animals are. He has much better food for us to eat. Mark 7: 19 is not dealing with the food we eat. Nor is it talking about having clean hands when we eat. It is speaking of the ritual washing that the Jews did before eating. Jesus is telling the Jewish leaders that it's far more important to have a clean heart than to have clean hands. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Dr. Shane Posted March 7, 2011 Posted March 7, 2011 First this little jewel: Many Adventists have lorded it over others not to do things that they can't back up from the words of Jesus Christ. Ever since 1888 they started to pick and choose what verses in the bible they want to believe and which ones they don't want to believe. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.