Woody Posted January 11, 2013 Posted January 11, 2013 Should we play domination board games such as Monopoly and Risk? YOu know - the kind of games where you have to knock your opponent into submission. The board equivilant of football. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Moderators Bravus Posted January 11, 2013 Moderators Posted January 11, 2013 I learned most of my world geography playing Risk. Quote Truth is important
Moderators Bravus Posted January 11, 2013 Moderators Posted January 11, 2013 I learned most of my world geography playing Risk. Quote Truth is important
CoAspen Posted January 11, 2013 Posted January 11, 2013 You can now play those games with your iPad!! Quote
Woody Posted January 11, 2013 Author Posted January 11, 2013 Yes Bravus - if it were not for Risk - I might not understand where down under is. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted January 11, 2013 Members Posted January 11, 2013 I don't see why not! Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Igakusei Posted January 11, 2013 Posted January 11, 2013 If you want a recommendation for a good non-competitive board game, try Pandemic. I got it for Christmas this year, and it's both challenging and a ton of fun. Players work as a team, so you all win or lose together. Quote I believe in life before death
cricket Posted January 11, 2013 Posted January 11, 2013 Should we play domination board games such as Monopoly and Risk?YOu know - the kind of games where you have to knock your opponent into submission. The board equivilant of football. Interestingly enough, you don't really have to play these games such that you are knocking your opponent into submission. Our family plays a variation of Monopoly in which we cooperate with one another and try for goals other than "he who has the biggest set of properties/most money wins". We also play Scrabble with a different goal than what is written on the rules. We play using coopertition (a term coined by First Robotics) in which we aim for longer words, higher total scores and interesting patterns. I don't see any reason that others cannot play as we do. Quote
Woody Posted January 11, 2013 Author Posted January 11, 2013 I am far more interested in beating my competition into the ground Cricket. My mother and I play Scrabble for hours. And it is very competitive. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
M. T. Cross Posted January 11, 2013 Posted January 11, 2013 We got Operation for the family for Christmas. My 5 year old is really good at it. I suspect however she is cheating cause she is a lefty and none of us can figure out what she is doing. Quote
Administrators debbym Posted January 11, 2013 Administrators Posted January 11, 2013 i don't think it is so much what game you play, but what spirit you bring to the game. deb is opining away.... deb Quote deb Love awakens love. Let God be true and every man a liar.
Woody Posted January 11, 2013 Author Posted January 11, 2013 I like your opining deb Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
BelizeMissionary Posted January 11, 2013 Posted January 11, 2013 I wouldnt play them on sabbath of course but other than that I see no problem. They are just games after all. :-) Quote
Administrators Gail Posted January 11, 2013 Administrators Posted January 11, 2013 I like Operation! We used to have cooperative board games, where all players work together towards a common goal. mountaineering was one, Deep Sea Diver was another: Mountaineering game Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
JoeMo Posted January 11, 2013 Posted January 11, 2013 Quote: I learned most of my world geography playing Risk. Best board game ever. I still have the game; but I can't find anyone to play it with. Are you busy tonite Bravus? Wanna come over and get beat at Risk? Quote
JoeMo Posted January 11, 2013 Posted January 11, 2013 Another fun "newer" game is Headbandz. It's a cross between Indian Poker and 20 Questions. You get a "noun" (person, place, or thing) that everyone but you can see. By asking yes/no questions, you have to guess who, where, or what you are. It's not really competitive, but it's a hoot. Quote
M. T. Cross Posted January 12, 2013 Posted January 12, 2013 I used to really like The Game of Life Quote
Administrators Gail Posted January 12, 2013 Administrators Posted January 12, 2013 Used to? Don't you like it anymore? Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Administrators Gail Posted January 12, 2013 Administrators Posted January 12, 2013 Filling up your car with pink and light blue babies? Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
aldona Posted January 12, 2013 Posted January 12, 2013 i don't think it is so much what game you play, but what spirit you bring to the game. deb is opining away.... deb I agree. You can play chess, Scrabble, Monopoly or any other game in a spirit of fun, fairness and respect for your opponents. Or you can become completely ruthless, insist on winning at any price, enjoy grinding your opponent's face (figuratively) into the board, and employ every devious trick you can think of to annihilate them. If you bring that kind of attitude to games and sports, then you will also bring it to other activities such as running a church board meeting, playing music or washing the dishes. AJ Quote www.asrc.org.au (Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Melbourne)Helping over 2000 refugees & asylum seekers each monthIMSLP/Petrucci Music LibraryThe Public Domain Music Score Library - Free Sheet Music DownloadsLooking for classical sheet music? Try IMSLP first!
Woody Posted January 12, 2013 Author Posted January 12, 2013 Church Board is the worst Board game that I've experienced. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
M. T. Cross Posted January 12, 2013 Posted January 12, 2013 Used to? Don't you like it anymore? I have not played it in years. Quote
GoLions Posted January 12, 2013 Posted January 12, 2013 Should we play domination board games such as Monopoly?YOu know - the kind of games where you have to knock your opponent into submission. You don't have to knock your opponent into submission in the game of monopoly. You can play it and not build on your property, or only a house or two. And if everyone plays that way, the game can go on forever. Everyone will have so much money, that the bank will be broke and owe you money. What if, you paid tithe on the increase, and put that money in the "church" and if anyone needed help they could just take from the church? Alas, that would only work if everyone that played, played that way. Kind of like Heaven huh? But who wants to play a game that lasts forever? Monopoly sure brings out our worst. That in itself is a learning experience. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.