Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Woody

    13

  • Gail

    12

  • phkrause

    5

  • CoAspen

    5

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

We play the Rook is low card in value and highest in points.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Its been so long since I've played that I no longer remember how to play it. I do know it was a rather addicting game, time wise. We used to stay up long hours at nite playing the game..even into the 'wee' hours of the morning. It was a lot of fun from the mind play aspect of it, requiring a lot of thought, skill and bluffing. Always helped to have an exceptional partner!

  • Moderators
Posted

Originally Posted By: Kevin H
I remember in the 1960s there was a lot of criticizism about these games because so many used dice.

It seems like every decade there's a new fear that propagates through conservative communities like ours about some outside influence that's undermining everything we hold dear. Dice, playing cards, role-playing games, Harry Potter, chess, etc. As a child I remember being told to hide our checkers game because the pastor's family was coming over and we didn't want them to think less of us.

I would never deny that gambling or gaming addictions can have serious real-world consequences, but so much of the Christian-produced literature on this stuff is filled with so much hyperbole and seems so out of touch with the nuances of the reality outside their narrow cultural bubble that all I can do is shake my head and sigh with despair.

Yes, while not as much as with the board games with dice and not as much among younger people, I remember older people talking about checkers and chest being a sin to play.

Originally Posted By: pkrause
Not sure where you lived in the 60s but I don't recall that at all. We used to play all sorts of board games and besides I believe the ABC sold board games of some kind?

New York and Southern California, as well as Lone Pine California. The ABC sold board games but without dice so they were kosher. As long as it was not a checkerboard or devil card or dice the board games were kosher. Checker board and cards that were non-devil cards were debatable and devil cards and dice were strictly non-kosher.

Posted

Perhaps this is where the notion came from:

Quote:
"There are amusements, such as dancing, card playing, chess, checkers, etc., which we cannot approve because Heaven condemns them." AH 398

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

  • Moderators
Posted

I'm sure it does Woody, but it was not only in Adventist homes. While my Grandma became a Seventh-day Adventist in 1923, she grew up as a Methodist but would also attend the Salvation Army and an Evangelical church in her neighborhood in Norway and they had the same prohibitions, and I knew some Baptists who felt the same.

My Aunt was a teacher in a public school and I remember that she and her Principle who was a Baptist and a few other teachers who were say Baptist or other conservative Christians were discussing different children's "dance" songs such as the "Hokey Pokey" and "Luby Lew" on how they felt that they could not impose their religious views on the students and thus needed the students to be free to enjoy some of these but that they did not want to go againt their own religious beliefs as well.

  • Administrators
Posted

Interesting!

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

  • Members
Posted

New York and Southern California, as well as Lone Pine California. The ABC sold board games but without dice so they were kosher. As long as it was not a checkerboard or devil card or dice the board games were kosher. Checker board and cards that were non-devil cards were debatable and devil cards and dice were strictly non-kosher.

I also grew up in NY, NYC that is. I still don't recall that. What I do recall, is pool halls, etc., being off limits. I also recall a friend that went to AUC and was kicked out for being found playing pool.

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
  • Administrators
Posted

But it's okay to have a pool table in the home, right? :)

Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.

  • Members
Posted

But it's okay to have a pool table in the home, right? :)

LOL, yes I think its OK to have a pool table.

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

Let's not get too hasty there pk. I quote from a reliable source ("Music Man") "...trouble with a capital T, which rhymes with P which stands for Pool! bwink

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...