Woody Posted January 12, 2013 Author Posted January 12, 2013 Can you define 'our' ? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
GoLions Posted January 12, 2013 Posted January 12, 2013 I was thinking 'mankind', but you got me thinking. Maybe its only the capitalists that I am thinking of. In real life I wouldn't make my daughter give me all of her property and money just for staying at my place. But that is exactly the purpose of the game, I am declared the winner for ruining others. I wonder if those who live in other countries, probably 3rd world countries would be appalled at the game. Where their whole life is one of giving, giving, giving. I would think they find the whole notion of the game very weird. Here in America, people follow the concept quit well. Quote
Members phkrause Posted January 12, 2013 Members Posted January 12, 2013 Originally Posted By: debjm i don't think it is so much what game you play, but what spirit you bring to the game. deb is opining away.... deb I agree. You can play chess, Scrabble, Monopoly or any other game in a spirit of fun, fairness and respect for your opponents. Or you can become completely ruthless, insist on winning at any price, enjoy grinding your opponent's face (figuratively) into the board, and employ every devious trick you can think of to annihilate them. If you bring that kind of attitude to games and sports, then you will also bring it to other activities such as running a church board meeting, playing music or washing the dishes. AJ Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Windsor Posted January 12, 2013 Posted January 12, 2013 I was thinking 'mankind', but you got me thinking. Maybe its only the capitalists that I am thinking of. In real life I wouldn't make my daughter give me all of her property and money just for staying at my place. But that is exactly the purpose of the game, I am declared the winner for ruining others. I wonder if those who live in other countries, probably 3rd world countries would be appalled at the game. Where their whole life is one of giving, giving, giving. I would think they find the whole notion of the game very weird. Here in America, people follow the concept quit well. Probably shouldn't play Candyland either. People in third world countries who are happy to have a bowl of slop would be appalled at the thought of a bunch of gluttonous Americans living in a land filled with candy. Quote Remember Adventists Online?
Igakusei Posted January 12, 2013 Posted January 12, 2013 I was thinking 'mankind', but you got me thinking. Maybe its only the capitalists that I am thinking of. In real life I wouldn't make my daughter give me all of her property and money just for staying at my place. But that is exactly the purpose of the game, I am declared the winner for ruining others. I wonder if those who live in other countries, probably 3rd world countries would be appalled at the game. Where their whole life is one of giving, giving, giving. I would think they find the whole notion of the game very weird. Here in America, people follow the concept quit well. Read the second paragraph here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Landlord%27s_Game Quote I believe in life before death
GoLions Posted January 12, 2013 Posted January 12, 2013 Read the second paragraph here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Landlord%27s_Game Here is what that link says: Magie designed the game to be a "practical demonstration of the present system of land grabbing with all its usual outcomes and consequences".[1] She based the game on the economic principles of Georgism, a system proposed by Henry George, with the object of demonstrating how rents enrich property owners and impoverish tenants. She knew that some people could find it hard to understand why this happened and what might be done about it, and she thought that if Georgist ideas were put into the concrete form of a game, they might be easier to demonstrate. Magie also hoped that when played by children the game would provoke their natural suspicion of unfairness, and that they might carry this awareness into adulthood.[1] Quote
GoLions Posted January 12, 2013 Posted January 12, 2013 Magie designed the game to be a "practical demonstration of the present system of land grabbing with all its usual outcomes and consequences".[1] She based the game on the economic principles of Georgism, a system proposed by Henry George, with the object of demonstrating how rents enrich property owners and impoverish tenants. She knew that some people could find it hard to understand why this happened and what might be done about it, and she thought that if Georgist ideas were put into the concrete form of a game, they might be easier to demonstrate. Magie also hoped that when played by children the game would provoke their natural suspicion of unfairness, and that they might carry this awareness into adulthood.[1] How true. I work for a company that is trying to squash and drive its competition into the ground. My company is the large one, the competition is a little mom and pop organization that is just starting out. But I can see God working blessing the mom and pop. Seems to me, my company is fighting with God...if that's true, we are in trouble. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out. Quote
Administrators Gail Posted January 12, 2013 Administrators Posted January 12, 2013 I agree. You can play chess, Scrabble, Monopoly or any other game in a spirit of fun, fairness and respect for your opponents. Or you can become completely ruthless, insist on winning at any price, enjoy grinding your opponent's face (figuratively) into the board, and employ every devious trick you can think of to annihilate them. If you bring that kind of attitude to games and sports, then you will also bring it to other activities such as running a church board meeting, playing music or washing the dishes. AJ Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Administrators Gail Posted January 12, 2013 Administrators Posted January 12, 2013 Church Board is the worst Board game that I've experienced. I hear ya! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Administrators Gail Posted January 12, 2013 Administrators Posted January 12, 2013 Should we play domination board games such as Monopoly and Risk?YOu know - the kind of games where you have to knock your opponent into submission. The board equivilant of football. I lost all fondness for Monopoly years ago when I spent some time thinking about it. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Moderators Kevin H Posted January 12, 2013 Moderators Posted January 12, 2013 I remember in the 1960s there was a lot of criticizism about these games because so many used dice. Quote
Igakusei Posted January 12, 2013 Posted January 12, 2013 I remember in the 1960s there was a lot of criticizism about these games because so many used dice. It seems like every decade there's a new fear that propagates through conservative communities like ours about some outside influence that's undermining everything we hold dear. Dice, playing cards, role-playing games, Harry Potter, chess, etc. As a child I remember being told to hide our checkers game because the pastor's family was coming over and we didn't want them to think less of us. I would never deny that gambling or gaming addictions can have serious real-world consequences, but so much of the Christian-produced literature on this stuff is filled with so much hyperbole and seems so out of touch with the nuances of the reality outside their narrow cultural bubble that all I can do is shake my head and sigh with despair. Quote I believe in life before death
Members phkrause Posted January 13, 2013 Members Posted January 13, 2013 I remember in the 1960s there was a lot of criticizism about these games because so many used dice. Not sure where you lived in the 60s but I don't recall that at all. We used to play all sorts of board games and besides I believe the ABC sold board games of some kind? Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted January 13, 2013 Author Posted January 13, 2013 I remember in the 1960s there was a lot of criticizism about these games because so many used dice. Yes I remember those days. It even spilled into the 70s some. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Administrators Gail Posted January 13, 2013 Administrators Posted January 13, 2013 Originally Posted By: Kevin H I remember in the 1960s there was a lot of criticizism about these games because so many used dice. Not sure where you lived in the 60s but I don't recall that at all. We used to play all sorts of board games and besides I believe the ABC sold board games of some kind? And card games, too! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Woody Posted January 13, 2013 Author Posted January 13, 2013 Only Rook Decks are evil Gail Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
CoAspen Posted January 13, 2013 Posted January 13, 2013 Ah yes...Rook! A fun game, very competitive. Our college Dean of Men finally shut down Rook playing when he figured out it could be used to play regular card games!!!! Yup...dice were severely frowned upon and could be confiscated!! Quote
Woody Posted January 13, 2013 Author Posted January 13, 2013 Ah yes...Rook! A fun game, very competitive. Our college Dean of Men finally shut down Rook playing when he figured out it could be used to play regular card games!!!! Yup...dice were severely frowned upon and could be confiscated!! Sounds like you and I went to the same schools. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
CoAspen Posted January 13, 2013 Posted January 13, 2013 The 60's was an interesting time. Games still went on, but behind tightly controlled doors of the students and a look out system for the Dean...fun times!!!!! Quote
Administrators Gail Posted January 13, 2013 Administrators Posted January 13, 2013 I have seen someone take on a whole different personality when playing Dutch Blitz She is meek and mild-mannered in real life, but takes on a whole different, loud form when the game gets going. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Woody Posted January 13, 2013 Author Posted January 13, 2013 I have seen someone take on a whole different personality when playing Dutch Blitz She is meek and mild-mannered in real life, but takes on a whole different, loud form when the game gets going. Love it Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Windsor Posted January 16, 2013 Posted January 16, 2013 Only Rook Decks are evil Gail And here I was thinking Rook was poker for Adventists, little knowing how evil old folks once thought it. Quote Remember Adventists Online?
Administrators Gail Posted January 16, 2013 Administrators Posted January 16, 2013 What is Rook? Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Woody Posted January 16, 2013 Author Posted January 16, 2013 Card game Gail. With little birdies and numbers on it. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Administrators Gail Posted January 16, 2013 Administrators Posted January 16, 2013 Card game Gail. With little birdies and numbers on it. Birdies... so that's different from Go Fish, eh? Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.