Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Eye Opening! Things Rich People Do, Poor People Don't. Eye Opening!


Recommended Posts

Posted

Eye Opening! Things Rich People Do, Poor People Don't. Eye Opening!

From Dave Ramsey's Site:

Got to love #11

1. 70% of wealthy eat less than 300 junk food calories per day. 97% of poor people eat more than 300 junk food calories per day. 23% of wealthy gamble. 52% of poor people gamble.

2. 80% of wealthy are focused on accomplishing some single goal. Only 12% of the poor do this.

3. 76% of wealthy exercise aerobically 4 days a week. 23% of poor do this.

4. 63% of wealthy listen to audio books during commute to work vs. 5% for poor people.

5. 81% of wealthy maintain a to-do list vs. 19% for poor.

6. 63% of wealthy parents make their children read 2 or more non-fiction books a month vs. 3% for poor.

7. 70% of wealthy parents make their children volunteer 10 hours or more a month vs. 3% for poor.

8. 80% of wealthy make hbd calls vs. 11% of poor

9. 67% of wealthy write down their goals vs. 17% for poor

10. 88% of wealthy read 30 minutes or more each day for education or career reasons vs 2% for poor.

11. 6% of wealthy say what’s on their mind vs. 69% for poor.

12. 79% of wealthy network 5 hours or more each month vs. 16% for poor.

13. 67% of wealthy watch 1 hour or less of TV. every day vs. 23% for poor

14. 6% of wealthy watch reality TV vs. 78% for poor.

15. 44% of wealthy wake up 3 hours before work starts vs.3% for poor.

16. 74% of wealthy teach good daily success habits to their children vs. 1% for poor.

17. 84% of wealthy believe good habits create opportunity luck vs. 4% for poor.

18. 76% of wealthy believe bad habits create detrimental luck vs. 9% for poor.

19. 86% of wealthy believe in life-long educational self-improvement vs. 5% for poor.

20. 86% of wealthy love to read vs. 26% for poor

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • bonnie

    22

  • Bravus

    10

  • LifeHiscost

    7

  • olger

    6

Posted

AWESOME !!!

I saw this in another forum I belong to of small online business.

What was really amazing is the poster that posted this was immediately jumped on 3 to 1 with both feet for being,rude,insensitive,heartless and arrogant

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

  • Moderators
Posted

Citations needed. Are these facts or 'facts'? Where do the stats come from?

And when your system is designed (corn subsidies leading to HFCS overuse, for example) in such a way that the empty calories are the cheap ones, it's unsurprising that that's what the poor can afford to eat. Easy to eat well when you have a chef or can afford the *good* restaurants.

And so on.

Truth is important

  • Moderators
Posted

If anyone can point me to it - and the sources of the stats - I'd be grateful.

Truth is important

  • Moderators
Posted

Here 'tis. Apparently based on his own private 'research study': http://blog.richhabits.net/2013/02/28/20-things-the-rich-do-every-day-that-the-poor-dont.aspx

No publication, no peer review, no random sampling to ensure that the results from his participants are generalisable to the rest of the population.

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics", as someone said. Turns out those are not mutually exclusive categories.

Truth is important

Posted

Yup, this is fairly consistent and logical based on my observations from working closely with the poor in my community. And at the same time, most of my friends run their own business and are quite successful so my observations include both camps.

Just my opinion, maybe the study is just another guys opinion. I think he got pretty close to the truth of the matter.

Posted

Citations needed. Are these facts or 'facts'? Where do the stats come from?

And when your system is designed (corn subsidies leading to HFCS overuse, for example) in such a way that the empty calories are the cheap ones, it's unsurprising that that's what the poor can afford to eat. Easy to eat well when you have a chef or can afford the *good* restaurants.

And so on.

Really? Many times I have been behind those buying groceries benefit of a EBT card.

I pay for my own and cannot afford nor do I want the junk that is in their carts.

The last time I was behind one such person,the woman had three young children under 6? The oldest was already past overweight,the other two far to heavy.The mother was at least 100 lbs overweight. The potato chips,ice cream,doughnuts,prepared foods,three twelve packs of Coke etc is the reason. Foods like that are just as expensive or more so than potato's,vegetables and fruit.

I can't afford to fill my cart with that stuff,I pay for my own

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Posted

Here 'tis. Apparently based on his own private 'research study': http://blog.richhabits.net/2013/02/28/20-things-the-rich-do-every-day-that-the-poor-dont.aspx

No publication, no peer review, no random sampling to ensure that the results from his participants are generalisable to the rest of the population.

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics", as someone said. Turns out those are not mutually exclusive categories.

I'll take Ramsey's word any day over the wispy voice of maudlin nihilism.

rejoice always,

G

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Posted

Here 'tis. Apparently based on his own private 'research study': http://blog.richhabits.net/2013/02/28/20-things-the-rich-do-every-day-that-the-poor-dont.aspx

No publication, no peer review, no random sampling to ensure that the results from his participants are generalisable to the rest of the population.

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics", as someone said. Turns out those are not mutually exclusive categories.

I'll take Ramsey's word any day over the wispy voice of maudlin nihilism.

rejoice always,

G

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Posted

Quote:
11. 6% of wealthy say what’s on their mind vs. 69% for poor.

Would that prove to be true re: speaking the Truth?

I once had made friends with a married couple whose 4 children, as well as themselves, were all quite rotund. When I mentioned the vegetarian diet my wife and I pursued, their response was about the difficulty it was to eat that way when all you had money enough for when grocery shopping, was pasta.

He was a gainfully employed individual, not sure what occupation.

The problem with not getting enough of those foods that provide the necessary vitamins for healthful living is that what one saves in scrimping on those things now, will be paid for in hospital and doctor bills later in life.

"But Daniel determined in his heart that he would not defile himself by [eating his portion of] the king’s rich and dainty food or by [drinking] the wine which he drank; therefore he requested of the chief of the eunuchs that he might [be allowed] not to defile himself.

Daniel 1:8 AMP brackets their' LHC

God care! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

  • Moderators
Posted

In other words (all other participants in this thread besides DG) "Don't bother me with the truth. I have my prejudices and these made up numbers confirm them, so I'll swallow the numbers whole".

Truth is important

Posted

If you do that you are talking about personal responsibility and that no longer applies

Yeah. That's true..

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Posted

In other words (all other participants in this thread besides DG) "Don't bother me with the truth. I have my prejudices and these made up numbers confirm them, so I'll swallow the numbers whole".

What is prejudices? Believing there is much that can be done by people themselves?

Is it more cost efficient to purchase the junk foods? The highly processed foods.

I can buy a bag of apples for what a large box of potato chips cost.So can the "poor". I have no idea what 3 -6 packs of coke cost as I don't buy it,but I am sure I could buy juice for that.

Potato's are very inexpensive,much cheaper pound for pound instant mashed potato's.

Many times over the years I have had to be extremely careful while grocery shopping,especially since I was paying my own. I could not afford to shop they way that many using a EBT card do

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

  • Moderators
Posted

The ironic thing, bonnie, is that you are saying you have been poor, and know what it's like to be poor.

Yet your ideology still requires you, at every turn, to worship the rich and demonise the poor.

That's not what I see the Bible do.

Truth is important

  • Moderators
Posted

Nutrition education would be a more effective response.

Same for many of these other issues.

Truth is important

Posted

The ironic thing, bonnie, is that you are saying you have been poor, and know what it's like to be poor.

Yet your ideology still requires you, at every turn, to worship the rich and demonise the poor.

That's not what I see the Bible do.

You are rather careless with the word "worship"

I don't have any influence on those that have gained their wealth thru dishonest means and there are many.God will take care of that if legally it can't be.As for those that have a comfortable lifestyle or more thru their own hard work and sacrifice I have no quarrel with,not does anything they have belong to me.

Yes,my family was poor,beyond what most that scream poverty now understand.Some are poor and will remain poor regardless of what they do. There are those that cannot help themselves more than they are,we should all be willing to help them.There are those need a temporary hand up and we should be willing to do that.

Most can do more to help themselves than they do.

Last week I contacted our local food shelf to check into volunteering once a week and to see what would be involved.Another eye opener.

They have a great system. I had no idea the amount of food that a family received.Or the variety.

One woman receiving for her and her husband received two carts full. The smallest cart was 85 lbs of groceries,the other much more as it contained roasts,steaks,whole chickens,milk etc.

A family of four received four grocery carts.

There were large bins by the door of squash,potato's,bread, carrots.There wasn't any limit on what a family could take from that. The reason there is no limit is families choose the fast,processed foods,cookies,and sugar cereal and often this will go to waste.

Two friends of mine are cashiers at the large local grocery store. Those not using a EBT card can be as guilty with bad food choices.Those using EBT cards do not make bad choices because those are the only ones they can.Something I had never even considered,I guess because it is second nature to me. EBT shoppers in general do not bother with coupons. I would try to stretch that amount on a EBT card as far as possible.

When it is not your money you are spending and you do not have to work for it,most are not as frugal as they should be.

As for education,you cannot drag them to education classes.

We have had FREE classes here that have been cancelled because of lack of sign up.

For me I would restrict what could be purchased with EBT cards,make classes absolutely mandatory,if needed cooking classes.

I would rather see them be able to purchase cleaning and personal care products than sugar cereal and potato chips

That's not what I see the Bible do.

Nor does the bible say that what belongs to another is mine by "right" and "force"

The bible has quite a bit to say about my responsibility as a christian,also quite a bit to say about slothful,careless,and refusal to wotk

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Posted

When we lived on the farm we had three large gardens,a very large strawberry and raspberry patch,and a apple orchard.

I offered the surplus of all of that to two families on welfare and food stamps. Their first question was if it had already been picked and when I said no,they were no longer interested.

Those that did come to pick the surplus did not need it but were so happy to save some money and have fresh wholesome produce.

This happened several times

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

  • Moderators
Posted

What is an EBT card?

Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....

Posted

What is an EBT card?

It is like a debit card that replaces actual food stamps.

And no,I am not in favor of people especially children going hungry,but I would like to see a little common sense used.

Let them buy cleaning products and not potato chips or coke.

Have a little stricter guidelines

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Posted

Quote:

The bible has quite a bit to say about my responsibility as a christian,also quite a bit to say about slothful,careless,and refusal to wotk

However it has nothing to say about making sure your neighbor is living correctly, except maybe this text.

"I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires,"2 Timothy 4:1-3 NASB

The great patience and understanding seems to be a prime requisite and would probably, when applied well, defuse this admonition below.

"Therefore you have no excuse or defense or justification, O man(woman), whoever you are who judges and condemns another. For in posing as judge and passing sentence on another, you condemn yourself, because you who judge are habitually practicing the very same things [that you censure and denounce]."Romans 2:2 AMP parenthesis mine brackets theirs' LHC

And I'm assuming in your identification of those who could do better, you are only informing them and not judging.

God cares! peace

Lift Jesus up!!

Posted

Quote:

However it has nothing to say about making sure your neighbor is living correctly, except maybe this text.

No,I don't need to make sure my neighbor is living correctly

If my neighbor is hungry I will feed him. Will I continue to feed him as he does nothing to help himself? No

The great patience and understanding seems to be a prime requisite and would probably, when applied well, defuse this admonition below.

"Therefore you have no excuse or defense or justification, O man(woman), whoever you are who judges and condemns another. For in posing as judge and passing sentence on another, you condemn yourself, because you who judge are habitually practicing the very same things [that you censure and denounce]."Romans 2:2 AMP parenthesis mine brackets theirs' LHC

And I'm assuming in your identification of those who could do better, you are only informing them and not judging.

God cares! peace

Unless you are brain dead or totally without conviction or opinion you make decisions/judgments everyday. Some like to make that into a issue of judging others against biblical principles.

I made judgment calls all the time when my sons were young as to who they could associate with.Some would only be when I had complete supervision,some never.Based on their behavior and what I knew about it. I did not judge their eternal life.

When the two families on welfare turned down free food if they had to do a little work for it,I made a judgment call and it was not offered again.

We took in a young girl at fifteen,over forty years ago.Bought her clothing,fed her,made sure she got to school.This continued until a few years ago. Gave her money,paid her utilities,and periodically gave her a home when needed. We didn't ask for anything in return or that she repay,only that she take the steps she was capable of to help herself as we could not do it for her. After forty some years we made a judgment call. No more.She is a alcoholic and drug addict.Is saying that judging her,probably in your opinion,but then you are making a judgment of me

Somehow knowing many could do better is now judging. If you tell me your food stamp allotment is not enough to feed your family and I see coke,potato chips and many other junk food items in your cart,I will make the judgment call you could do better with what is given you.

If you refuse the free help classes to give you a better understanding and chance,yes,I will determine that you are not that interested.

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

  • Moderators
Posted

Quote:
Yet your ideology still requires you, at every turn, to worship the rich and demonise the poor.

This perversion of Christianity is quite nauseating at best. It is the opposite of what the Bible does. It's stunning that so many on this forum would rejoice at this foolishness. Dave Ramsey provides some great information but I wonder if he would put out a similar list that paints the poor in a positive light? Thankfully the Bible does it for us.

Mark 12:41-44 ESV /

And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny. And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”

Luke 18:25 ESV /

For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.”

James 2:5 ESV /

Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him?

Luke 6:24 ESV /

“But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence.

Einstein

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...