Woody Posted December 19, 2009 Posted December 19, 2009 I was going to mention that also. In some way or other we are all related but very far apart. pk Yes pk. Some are more removed than others. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted December 19, 2009 Members Posted December 19, 2009 Originally Posted By: pkrause I was going to mention that also. In some way or other we are all related but very far apart. pk Yes pk. Some are more removed than others. And Redwood, that's probably a good thing. hahahahaha pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted December 19, 2009 Administrators Posted December 19, 2009 Someone did a lot of genealogical research for you to know all of those, Tom. Very interesting family tree you have. Not meaning to turn this into a genealogy thread, but... Yes, it is thanks to my brother who has filled out a considerable amount of the existing genealogical record of my mother's family line (descendants from the Mayflower). He is now working on the Wetmore side. We have discovered that there have been a few interesting intersections between my maternal side and my paternal side since the Wetmore line is also an old New England family. The name changed inexplicably shortly after the first Wetmore, Thomas Whitmore, came to New England in 1635 at age 20. A substantial number of the Wetmores were British loyalists during the American Revolution, many fleeing to the Canadian territory after America won its independence. There are Wetmores scattered all over Canada. The English loyalties may have derived from deep English roots. The English Family Whitmore derives from John, Lord of Whytemere, from during the reign of Henry III and Edward I. The father of the Thomas Whitmore who came to America was a London merchant, William Whitmore, ESQ. The two brothers of Thomas were likewise knights, Sir William Whitmore inherited the title and the other brother was knighted Sir George, Knight of Balmes. I am told The Wetmore family is related to a few historic figures - Aaron Burr, Jonathan Edwards, Benjamin Franklin, and Cotton Mather. Likely TMI, but certainly something no one here knows about me. Tom Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Woody Posted December 19, 2009 Posted December 19, 2009 Thanks Tom. Very interesting. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted December 19, 2009 Members Posted December 19, 2009 Maybe we should start a genealogy thread. Might be very interesting Tom. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Moderators John317 Posted December 19, 2009 Moderators Posted December 19, 2009 Speaking of relatives and presidents - In the Mayflower descendants family tree... What is the name of the ancestor who came over on the Mayflower? Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Overaged Posted December 19, 2009 Posted December 19, 2009 Speaking of relatives and presidents - In the Mayflower descendants family tree I am related to 4 presidents, albeit distantly - John Adams -- 3rd Cousin, 8th Removed John Quincy Adams -- 4th Cousin, 7th Removed Ulysses S. Grant -- 6th Cousin, 6th Removed Franklin Delano Roosevelt -- 7th Cousin, 5th Removed And two other noteworthy distant Mayflower cousins - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -- 4th Cousin, 5th Removed William Cullen Bryant -- 5th Cousin, 6th Removed Tom this is interesting for sure. I have to confess ignorance in totality though with one aspect. What does it mean when you say "removed" such as in 4th Cousin, "removed". I don't think I have ever heard this use of "Removed." I would like to know what that means. I am doing a little research into family history and this will be a part of my knowledge base. Thanks!! Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
GreatLakesGramma Posted December 19, 2009 Posted December 19, 2009 Maybe we should start a genealogy thread. Might be very interesting Tom. pk There is already a genealogy thread. I started it last February. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Woody Posted December 19, 2009 Posted December 19, 2009 Originally Posted By: pkrause Maybe we should start a genealogy thread. Might be very interesting Tom. pk There is already a genealogy thread. I started it last February. Where would one find that GLG? Under Origins? I looked but could not find it. Maybe we need a forum to find the forums. !!! Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
SivartM Posted December 19, 2009 Posted December 19, 2009 There is a "Search" button at the top of the page. Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
GreatLakesGramma Posted December 19, 2009 Posted December 19, 2009 It actually belongs in the hobbies and pastimes forum, now that that is opened. I can't move it there though. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted December 19, 2009 Administrators Posted December 19, 2009 ...What does it mean when you say "removed" such as in 4th Cousin, "removed". I don't think I have ever heard this use of "Removed."... That is shorthand for how many generations removed from the generation to which the ancestor is being shown to be related. So President John Adams is my third cousin, from 8 generations back. That makes his son, John Quincy Adams, my fourth cousin, one less generation removed from me. Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Moderators Gerr Posted December 19, 2009 Moderators Posted December 19, 2009 Never known that "removed" business either. Thanks. Quote
GreatLakesGramma Posted December 19, 2009 Posted December 19, 2009 My mother-in-law's maternal grandparents were first cousins. That made her her own third cousin. My husband and his brother are their own and each others' 4th cousins, and our children are their own and each others' 5th cousins, as well as their father's and uncle's 4th cousins once removed. Our children's first cousins on their dad's side of the family are also their 5th cousins. And our grandchildren are their own and each others' 6th cousins, their mother's 5th cousins once removed, and my husband's 4th cousins twice removed. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted December 19, 2009 Administrators Posted December 19, 2009 Originally Posted By: Tom Wetmore Speaking of relatives and presidents - In the Mayflower descendants family tree... What is the name of the ancestor who came over on the Mayflower? William Brewster is my 11th-Great Grandfather, and John Alden and Miles Standish are 10th-Great Grandfathers to me. Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted December 19, 2009 Administrators Posted December 19, 2009 "Rudywoofs", you asked earlier if we have any heirlooms handed down from the Mayflower ancestors. Nobody in my immediate family has any Mayflower heirlooms but one of the relatives still in Massachusetts has a small Pewter pitcher from the Mayflower. I have only seen a picture of it. Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Moderators Jeannieb43 Posted December 20, 2009 Moderators Posted December 20, 2009 Never known that "removed" business either. Thanks. In probate administration, the method used in calculating cousins is to count the generations back to the common ancestor (e.g., a great grandfather, which would result in a third cousin relationship); and then, if the individual in question is an offspring of one of those third cousins, s/he is "once removed" [i.e., third cousin, once removed]. [We always had to diagram it.] Quote Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.