Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted January 27, 2010 Members Posted January 27, 2010 too late...never mind. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted January 27, 2010 Author Members Posted January 27, 2010 Here's my problem: I have to make a decision on whether or not to get an 8 month old Bernese Mtn Dog puppy by today. The owners want to give him to me for free (they paid over$2000 for him). He would be a house dog for me, but since they've had him, he's been an outside dog and is not housebroken. I don't think it would be too hard to housebreak him but one never knows. I would also need to get him neutered in two months. He's the same breed as my Rudy was, and I'm told this puppy has a very gentle disposition and loves to be with people. I would need to clean out the doghouse under my breezeway and get a pad to lay down inside of it for when the puppy has to be outside when I'm not here (like when I'm at church). My mom said she would look after the puppy at other times when I have doctor appts. I don't know what to do... I really want the puppy, but I want him to be happy and I don't know if he'd be happy inside most of the time with me. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 Dogs are a big asset in many ways. One that would be valuable for you .... is security. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted January 27, 2010 Author Members Posted January 27, 2010 yes, the doghouse would be helpful, but the cost of the pad for the bottom of the house is like $35.. That's too much for me right now. I used to leave Rudy inside my house when I had to leave for appts or go to church, and he was just fine....he'd just sleep. This is SUCH a hard decision for me to make!!!! Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 Once you have him housebroken ... you can get a doggie door so that he can go out on his own to do his thing. That is what we do with my dog. We just leave him in the house when we are gone. He can go out anytime he pleases. Of course .... you would have to have a fenced in area for him to go to and I don't know if you have that. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted January 27, 2010 Author Members Posted January 27, 2010 Dogs are a big asset in many ways. One that would be valuable for you .... is security. That's true, Woody. Though this puppy is apparently a love bug to everyone. But he'd be big....probably weigh in at 120 pounds at full growth. But the good thing is, is that this breed doesn't eat all that much. Another problem is that I would have to drive to Biggs, OR which is about 1/2 way to the original owner's home to meet them to get the puppy. I haven't driven that far since I went to WWC. And the roads through the Columbia Gorge have been having snow and ice in spots and I don't have 4WD....just studded tires on my little car. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
bonnie Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 yes, the doghouse would be helpful, but the cost of the pad for the bottom of the house is like $35.. That's too much for me right now. I used to leave Rudy inside my house when I had to leave for appts or go to church, and he was just fine....he'd just sleep. This is SUCH a hard decision for me to make!!!! A dog that large and used to the outdoors would do well with some fleece blankets to snuggle into.Picked up for peanuts at the goodwill store. Most large dogs are a lot easier to housebreak than a small puppy. You might find that he is already naturally housebroken. My rotts did well outdoors and they are shorthaired. When I brought the mothers into whelp they did fine with the switch.My indoor also did great outdoors when it was necessary Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted January 27, 2010 Author Members Posted January 27, 2010 Once you have him housebroken ... you can get a doggie door so that he can go out on his own to do his thing. That is what we do with my dog. We just leave him in the house when we are gone. He can go out anytime he pleases. Of course .... you would have to have a fenced in area for him to go to and I don't know if you have that. Yes, I have a fenced backyard, but I don't have anyplace to put in a doggie door. I had thought of doing that when I had Rudy, but there just wasn't any place to put one (except in my bedroom, and I don't want to do that!!!) Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 Doggie doors can be put in a number of places. We put ours in the wall. But of course they can be placed in the 'door'!! I am not sure if you know it ... but they also make them for sliding glass doors. I used to have one of those at a previous house. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted January 27, 2010 Author Members Posted January 27, 2010 A dog that large and used to the outdoors would do well with some fleece blankets to snuggle into.Picked up for peanuts at the goodwill store. Most large dogs are a lot easier to housebreak than a small puppy. You might find that he is already naturally housebroken. My rotts did well outdoors and they are shorthaired. When I brought the mothers into whelp they did fine with the switch.My indoor also did great outdoors when it was necessary That's very helpful to know about the large dogs being easier to housebreak, Bonnie! And I hadn't thought about fleece blankets in the doghouse. That might work! Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted January 27, 2010 Author Members Posted January 27, 2010 Doggie doors can be put in a number of places. We put ours in the wall. But of course they can be placed in the 'door'!! I am not sure if you know it ... but they also make them for sliding glass doors. I used to have one of those at a previous house. I don't have any wall spot for a doggie door. The only place would have been my back door, but we put in a metal security door in front of it, so I can't put a doggie door in there either. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Administrators Gail Posted January 27, 2010 Administrators Posted January 27, 2010 I'm with Bonnie with the blankets. I'm sure the dog would like it Are you getting closer to making the decision? Sounds exciting to me! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted January 27, 2010 Author Members Posted January 27, 2010 I'm with Bonnie with the blankets. I'm sure the dog would like it Are you getting closer to making the decision? Sounds exciting to me! I'm still waffling back and forth. It would be a long drive and then to maybe have a problem with housebreaking him. I just don't know. I'd really like to have him though... Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 If you can't drive there ... put an ad in your church bulletin asking for someone willing to drive you there. And state that it is to get your puppy. I know that there are lots of people out there that really want to help and just need to know how and what the needs are. Who knows ... you just might make a new friend. Blanche is always encouraging me to allow people to help me. It blesses them just as much as it helps me. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
bonnie Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 Originally Posted By: Gail I'm with Bonnie with the blankets. I'm sure the dog would like it Are you getting closer to making the decision? Sounds exciting to me! I'm still waffling back and forth. It would be a long drive and then to maybe have a problem with housebreaking him. I just don't know. I'd really like to have him though... If you decide to get him housebreaking should not take more than a week,usually even less. Use a short leash at night and attach him close to your bed.Just long enough so he can turn around and stand up. Almost all large dogs do not go close to their nest unless forced to. During the day use the same method whatever room you are in. Take him out to the same place everytime.Once he goes praise him and take him back in doors. Don't let him confuse that with playtime.Then bring him back indoors.If you want him out then let him out to play Regularity,treats and praise usually works to train a large dog in a very short time. We have a dog as a puppy from the humane society. Large dog,80 lbs. Was a puppy when we got him and it took three days. There is always the exception but most will train easily.They are beautiful dogs and highly intelligent Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Woody Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 Yes Pam. WE have your back. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 RUDYWOOFS hit wrong button dgrimm60 Don't believe it for a second. He is just trying to get his name on the ALL STAR list. HA HA HA HO HO HO HE HE HE Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted January 27, 2010 Members Posted January 27, 2010 Originally Posted By: dgrimm60 RUDYWOOFS hit wrong button dgrimm60 Don't believe it for a second. He is just trying to get his name on the ALL STAR list. HA HA HA HO HO HO HE HE HE He's really trying to pass Richard. And Pam I do go alone with what Bonnie said about house breaking, its really alot easier than one thinks. Besides what did it take to house break your first dog. And if you buy hale bails in the area they are usually pretty cheap. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Members phkrause Posted January 27, 2010 Members Posted January 27, 2010 And Redwood in costs quite a bit to put a door in for a dog, especially if he's gonna be a big dog. Unless your willing to go over there and put in in for her? pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 Oh. I just bought mine at Lowes and then put it in our wall on my own. I would be happy to do it for Pam but it might cost too much to get to her. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members phkrause Posted January 27, 2010 Members Posted January 27, 2010 Oh. I just bought mine at Lowes and then put it in our wall on my own. I would be happy to do it for Pam but it might cost too much to get to her. Excuse's, excuse's, woody, . Besides the door's themselves are not cheap. I've thought of doing that for mine a while back than checked out the prices. WOW, not cheap Woody. pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 I paid $49.95 Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted January 27, 2010 Author Members Posted January 27, 2010 too much sand for my little truck Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 Congrats to you dgrimm. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted January 28, 2010 Posted January 28, 2010 Congrats to you dgrimm. Whoops. Hit wrong button. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.