Dottie Posted February 22, 2010 Posted February 22, 2010 The only time we eat out on Sabbath is if we are invited to someone's house, or at a potluck, but hubby is nonsocial, so neither of those happens very often. But for myself, if I am on vacation, I know that Sabbath will need to be planned for. There are always foods that can be purchased ahead, such as fruit, water, juice boxes, peanut butter and jelly, bread, etc. The only time I can remember eating at a restaurant on Sabbath was last year, when our breakfast was included in the cost of the hotel we had for a week. The restaurant was right next door, and the hotel gave us a coupon, as they didn't serve breakfast. I feel very uncomfortable and my conscience bothers me when I do things that would seem counter to how God would have us spend our Sabbaths. Quote
GreatLakesGramma Posted February 22, 2010 Posted February 22, 2010 I also have no problem with paying to get into a zoo or park on Sabbath. The issue is not about handling money, or it would be wrong to take up offerings on Sabbath. It's about what you're doing. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Administrators Gail Posted February 22, 2010 Administrators Posted February 22, 2010 I thank the Lord that your father was so open-minded and supportive of your mother, Pam! He was a gem! There are so many things that can get in the way of our time with the Lord on the day that He has blessed. If we are willing to lift them up on the altar for Him, He will bless your effort :) Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted February 22, 2010 Author Members Posted February 22, 2010 I thank the Lord that your father was so open-minded and supportive of your mother, Pam! He was a gem! There are so many things that can get in the way of our time with the Lord on the day that He has blessed. If we are willing to lift them up on the altar for Him, He will bless your effort You know, even when my Dad wasn't an Adventist, he was still the most Christian man I ever knew. It was Walt Meske (Laurelwood Academy principal and later WWC Men's Dean) and Lynn Martell who really made the most impression on my Dad to finally become an Adventist. They were such nice people for my Dad to know and be friends with. I could have gone to Pacific University for free because my Dad was the Director of Development there, but he went ahead and let me and and my brother go to WWC. And if that hadn't happened, my brother wouldn't have become an ordained minister. My Dad wanted my brother to baptize him, but Dad didn't want to wait. He was baptized my senior year at WWC. When Dad died all my brother said was that the next thing Dad would hear would be the sound of Christ's trumpets. But on Sabbaths, Dad and I still went for our rides, sometimes we went gold panning (never found anything - but I know where there's some gold around in the area!!!!). We hiked and climbed mountains all over the place. And he still did all the housework for my mom, except he did it on Sundays. And he still listened to the Oak Ridge Boys records!! Quote Pam      Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted February 22, 2010 Administrators Posted February 22, 2010 What is the Biblical principle that is being used to make these decisions? Is it "Thou shalt not do any work"? Is it "keeping it holy"? or is it "not having your pleasure"? or "doing thy pleasure on my holy day"? I think the interpretation is up to us and as it says in Jas 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. Alex Yes, on those three words - work, holy, pleasure - monumental misunderstanding, misapplication and misdirection have destroyed the real meaning of Sabbath... and many other things for that matter... And with regard to the text you have quoted, Jesus proclaimed that it was lawful (the righteous thing to do) to do good on the Sabbath. (Jesus used that word a lot... It must have been an important concept for him...) So to sin on the Sabbath would be to refrain from doing good. Ahhh, to know what is good... and to do it... that is the true meaning of Sabbath. The Sabbath is good and a day for good things to happen. Originally Posted By: Woody Sabbath needs to be both a pleasure .... a delight .... AND a Holy Day. It is all the above. Allow me a holy quibble, something I work hard at... the text instructs that the Sabbath should not be about our own pleasure, but that we should call it a delight (anyway?)... For me, and I take no pleasure in saying so, it is such a fantastic delight to nitpick and quibble over Sabbath-keeping trivia. The Jews delighted in getting their knickers in a knot over the Sabbath for which Jesus tried valiantly to set them straight. They killed him because it. We Adventists, erstwhile Sabbatarians that we presume to be, do no better. More later... Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Moderators Jeannieb43 Posted February 22, 2010 Moderators Posted February 22, 2010 You know, even when my Dad wasn't an Adventist, he was still the most Christian man I ever knew. It was Walt Meske (Laurelwood Academy principal and later WWC Men's Dean) and Lynn Martell who really made the most impression on my Dad to finally become an Adventist. They were such nice people for my Dad to know and be friends with. I could have gone to Pacific University for free because my Dad was the Director of Development there, but he went ahead and let me and and my brother go to WWC. And if that hadn't happened, my brother wouldn't have become an ordained minister. My Dad wanted my brother to baptize him, but Dad didn't want to wait. He was baptized my senior year at WWC. When Dad died all my brother said was that the next thing Dad would hear would be the sound of Christ's trumpets. But on Sabbaths, Dad and I still went for our rides, sometimes we went gold panning (never found anything - but I know where there's some gold around in the area!!!!). We hiked and climbed mountains all over the place. And he still did all the housework for my mom, except he did it on Sundays. And he still listened to the Oak Ridge Boys records!! You were blessed, Pam. Growing up with a good, kind, loving father is the greatest blessing a girl can have on this earth. Quote Jeannie<br /><br /><br />...Change is inevitable; growth is optional....
doug yowell Posted February 22, 2010 Posted February 22, 2010 [quote name='Tom For me' date=' and I take no pleasure in saying so, it is such a fantastic delight to nitpick and quibble over Sabbath-keeping trivia. The Jews delighted in getting their knickers in a knot over the Sabbath for which Jesus tried valiantly to set them straight. They killed him because it. We Adventists, erstwhile Sabbatarians that we presume to be, do no better. More later...[/quote'] Tom, When you get back,can you please give us a few examples to illustrate your statement? Can you explain why you take so much delight in quibbling over Sabbath-keeping trivia? Do you have a solution for solving that situation? What do you think "better" should look like? Thanks. Quote
olger Posted February 23, 2010 Posted February 23, 2010 a big from: olger Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Members phkrause Posted February 23, 2010 Members Posted February 23, 2010 OLGER Maybe that did not sound right who were you in agreement with??? dgrimm60 Good refraze (sp) dgrimm! :):) pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Woody Posted February 23, 2010 Posted February 23, 2010 OLGER SO OLGER are you giving the big wink to DOUG or TOM??? dgrimm60 Yep ... there's that og ... winkin' at them guys again. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
doug yowell Posted February 23, 2010 Posted February 23, 2010 OLGER SO OLGER are you giving the big wink to DOUG or TOM??? dgrimm60 Jesuit code,dgrimm. Quote
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted February 23, 2010 Author Members Posted February 23, 2010 And there goes yet another thread down the tubes... Quote Pam      Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted February 23, 2010 Posted February 23, 2010 Yeah. We do have to watch out for them Jesuits. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted February 23, 2010 Author Members Posted February 23, 2010 **ponders** Ya think Olger could be the Jesuit on the forum? Quote Pam      Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Neil D Posted February 23, 2010 Posted February 23, 2010 **ponders** Ya think Olger could be the Jesuit on the forum? oooooH Pam.... I dun told you who were Jesuits here on this forum.... Now, if you guys would just be a bit more star struck, you could find out about what they're eating when they go out on the Sabbath ....... [How's that fer getting ] Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. Â George Bernard Shaw Â
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted February 23, 2010 Administrators Posted February 23, 2010 Originally Posted By: Tom For me, and I take no pleasure in saying so, it is such a fantastic delight to nitpick and quibble over Sabbath-keeping trivia. The Jews delighted in getting their knickers in a knot over the Sabbath for which Jesus tried valiantly to set them straight. They killed him because it. We Adventists, erstwhile Sabbatarians that we presume to be, do no better. More later... Tom, When you get back,can you please give us a few examples to illustrate your statement? Can you explain why you take so much delight in quibbling over Sabbath-keeping trivia? Do you have a solution for solving that situation? What do you think "better" should look like? Thanks. In order to get the sarcasm you must read it in context of Woody's and Alex's posts and my response to them. In short, following Jesus' lead on the Sabbath will solve the situation. And yes, our fellow Adventists may crucify us, so to speak, for doing as he taught and did. Think about what is good and meant by doing good. Do a Biblical word study on that. It all starts In the begining... More later when I have more time to explain... Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Outta Here Posted February 23, 2010 Posted February 23, 2010 In order to get the sarcasm you must read it in context of Woody's and Alex's posts and my response to them. Whew. For a second there, I thought this might be the Original Thoughts forum. It's impossible to respond, keeping context in that forum. (Just sayin...) Anyway, back to the original topic at hand. We do sometimes go out to eat on the Sabbath. We did not do that for years, however. But, since everyone else was doing it, we figured we'd just join 'em. I've always thought it wrong to go out on the Sabbath to ANYWHERE where there were people required to work. It's my philosophy that if we continue to patronize such places, then such employers will continue to require that their employees work. And the more employees required to work on the Sabbath, the more likely that my husband, my children or I will be required to work--making life (and worship) more difficult for EVERYONE. In a sense, going out to eat on the Sabbath jeopardizes my privilege to worship. Quote
Members abelisle Posted February 23, 2010 Members Posted February 23, 2010 Originally Posted By: Tom Wetmore In order to get the sarcasm you must read it in context of Woody's and Alex's posts and my response to them. Whew. For a second there, I thought this might be the Original Thoughts forum. It's impossible to respond, keeping context in that forum. (Just sayin...) Anyway, back to the original topic at hand. We do sometimes go out to eat on the Sabbath. We did not do that for years, however. But, since everyone else was doing it, we figured we'd just join 'em. I've always thought it wrong to go out on the Sabbath to ANYWHERE where there were people required to work. It's my philosophy that if we continue to patronize such places, then such employers will continue to require that their employees work. And the more employees required to work on the Sabbath, the more likely that my husband, my children or I will be required to work--making life (and worship) more difficult for EVERYONE. In a sense, going out to eat on the Sabbath jeoplardizes my privilege to worship. This sounds like the Orthodox Jews quibbling over the motes in the Law! If we stick to this logic, then there would be no mass transportation on the Sabbath. Everyone would have to walk to church but isn't that "work?" Hasidic Jews even have their toilet paper torn off in pieces so they won't have to work when they go to the bathroom! They even have others (goyim) turn on their light switches. No cooking either. Who's going to turn the oven on??? How about things working in your home, like your computer or anything that uses electricity? Hospitals would be closed, power plants shut down, commerce stops, and just about everything grinds to a halt. This thread is bordering on the ridiculous. The Sabbath has become a stumbling block for Adventists when it was made specifically for man. So what do we do - we use it as an artificial albatross or better yet, a heavy yoke around our necks! I always thought Jesus said: Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Alex Quote We are our worst enemy - sad but true. Â http://abelisle.blogspot.com
Outta Here Posted February 23, 2010 Posted February 23, 2010 Hehe. Alex, like I said, we DO go out to eat on the Sabbath. But still... It's awfully hard for me to tell my employer that I can't work on the Sabbath, but I can show up in his restaurant to have him wait on me. Sort of a double-standard, you know? He doesn't want to close down shop because there's money to be made from us Adventists who can't cook their own meals on the Sabbath, and he doesn't want to keep me on as an employee when he could hire someone who's willing to work on the Sabbaths instead. By going out to eat on the Sabbath, I'm "eating" myself out of a job every other day of the week. And, ridiculous...well, that's what this whole forum borders on every single day. It's all in the eye of the beposter. Quote
Woody Posted February 23, 2010 Posted February 23, 2010 Personally ... I don't care if someone else works on Sabbath. That is their choice. I don't go out to eat on Sabbath for one reason and one reason only. I don't like the atmosphere. It is not conducive to my worship of God during the 24 hour period of Sabbath. Now ... some people may feel that it is better than doing all the work surrounding meal prep etc. And that is fine. I don't find any fault in that line of thinking. But it just doesn't work for me. Some of my best Sabbath memories are of those times when we invite a Church visitor to our home for lunch at the last minute when we were not 'prepared'. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Outta Here Posted February 23, 2010 Posted February 23, 2010 Out of curiosity, are either CoAspen or Alex sabbath-keepers? If so, why? Quote
Members phkrause Posted February 23, 2010 Members Posted February 23, 2010 This sounds like the Orthodox Jews quibbling over the motes in the Law! Alex Jew's arguing or quibbling? Oy Vey! or SDA's arguing or quibbling? Say it ain't so! pk Quote phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Members abelisle Posted February 23, 2010 Members Posted February 23, 2010 Out of curiosity, are either CoAspen or Alex sabbath-keepers? If so, why? Hi Aubrey, Yes, I do keep the Sabbath because it's a gift I can't afford to pass up, because it celebrates holiness in time, because it reminds me to to go out and partake in Nature, because it allows me to rest from doing hard workouts, because it gives me the opportunity to share spiritual ideas with friends, because it allows me to worship my Creator in the fulness of His being, because the Sabbath was made for me and I savor my existence as His creation in this weekly holiness in time. There are existential and ontological reasons also but I won't burden you with those. Alex (I try to make each day a small sabbath that culminates in a 7th day ceremonial one) Quote We are our worst enemy - sad but true. Â http://abelisle.blogspot.com
Outta Here Posted February 23, 2010 Posted February 23, 2010 Well, my friend, I think that's great! I still don't see how anything I said was indicative of quibbling over motes in the law. I was trying to get across the reason I think we should not patronize businesses that are open on the Sabbath: to protect the very right that you might continue to enjoy the gift you can't afford to pass up. It's been probably 5 years since I've had this argument here at Club Adventist. I was misunderstood then as well. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.