Aliensanctuary Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 I've got land 40 miles from the nearest large town, which is where the jobs are. I figure I'm spending less by renting in a nearby small town and riding my bicycle to work there than by driving an 80 miles-per-day commute while living on our land. We try to visit our property once or twice a month in good weather. It could be done, but it would take a lot of hard work, water, and greenhouses to grow all of our own food. We have a water-wheel powered water pump to supply creek water uphill to the house. It's not a trouble-free setup, though, just like any other alternative energy system, especially mechanical, needs maintenance from time to time. If anyone wishes to live in the country, they should try to live off the grid, too, like the pioneers did, to avoid dependence on utility companies. Of course, the lawless with weapons will take everything you have, including your lives, if you have what they want and you don't use weapons to protect yourself. It's better to die of hunger than to harm others while defending your food stash or your property. Quote The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451
Overaged Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 I've got land 40 miles from the nearest large town, which is where the jobs are. I figure I'm spending less by renting in a nearby small town and riding my bicycle to work there than by driving an 80 miles-per-day commute while living on our land. We try to visit our property once or twice a month in good weather. It could be done, but it would take a lot of hard work, water, and greenhouses to grow all of our own food. We have a water-wheel powered water pump to supply creek water uphill to the house. It's not a trouble-free setup, though, just like any other alternative energy system, especially mechanical, needs maintenance from time to time. If anyone wishes to live in the country, they should try to live off the grid, too, to avoid dependence on utility companies. Of course, the lawless with weapons will take everything you have, including your lives, if you have what they want and you don't use weapons to protect yourself. It's better to die of hunger than to harm others while defending your food stash or your stuff. You make a lot of sense. I know people who have gone off the grid; but as ironic as it sounds, they need the city as soon as the solar panels get broken in a storm. Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
Jodie Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 Originally Posted By: Jodie I have to wonder what you mean when you say "examples that are working???" What do you mean, "working?" I went to this web site and was horrified. All it is, is a glorified Real Estate promotional. To do what it says on that web site here in Canada, I would need a minimum of one half million dollars. Some of the items listed under "preparation" for the coming crises are as follows: Seminar Topics Future of America's Cities How to Prepare Growing food in small spaces Long term food storage Back Up Power Systems Natural home remedies Finding Country Property Affordable Homestead Options Much more! None of this will prepare us for the coming crises.[/quote'] Working as in people are actually living successfully in the country after leaving the cities. I don't get why you are "horrified" by their website. This is not a "real estate promotional" it is an advertisement for a free seminar in which experienced people share information with inexperienced people on a topic that both parties are interested in. Seems pretty basic to me. Quote
Jodie Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 I've got land 40 miles from the nearest large town, which is where the jobs are. I figure I'm spending less by renting in a nearby small town and riding my bicycle to work there than by driving an 80 miles-per-day commute while living on our land. We try to visit our property once or twice a month in good weather. It could be done, but it would take a lot of hard work, water, and greenhouses to grow all of our own food. We have a water-wheel powered water pump to supply creek water uphill to the house. It's not a trouble-free setup, though, just like any other alternative energy system, especially mechanical, needs maintenance from time to time. If anyone wishes to live in the country, they should try to live off the grid, too, like the pioneers did, to avoid dependence on utility companies. Of course, the lawless with weapons will take everything you have, including your lives, if you have what they want and you don't use weapons to protect yourself. It's better to die of hunger than to harm others while defending your food stash or your property. Your place sounds nice! The seminar I attended wasn't talking about the survivalist mentality of stashing food. They were talking about getting away from the temptations in the city and especially getting kids away from the mentality of big city living. Quote
Aliensanctuary Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 What would we need if we were forced to leave our houses and live under a bridge? Without drinking water, we couldn't survive more than a few days. Without food, maybe a month. We shouldn't be too optimistic about survival if we have to drop everything and run from the violence of desperation. I've been thinking about packing a backpack with survival gear, including a water filter, to be used in a backup plan. What to use for food, though, acorns, pine needles, grubs, earthworms...? I suspect rural folk tend to be more respectful of others than city folk. Cities provide more opportunities for training and experience for the criminal mind. There are so many more potential victims... Quote The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451
Dr. Rich Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 Aliensanctuary, do you want to borrow my copy of "Dumpster Dinning"? Could you use my copy of Uncle Ted's book called "Kill it and Grill It"? Quote
Guest Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 I like Ted. I can play Stranglehold, and Great White Buffalo. Quote
Overaged Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 Working as in people are actually living successfully in the country after leaving the cities. I don't get why you are "horrified" by their website. This is not a "real estate promotional" it is an advertisement for a free seminar in which experienced people share information with inexperienced people on a topic that both parties are interested in. Seems pretty basic to me. Well; if you download the "Special Report" and watch the 7 part movie described therein, a much different picture emerges. Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
Guest Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 See, I knew we had something in common. Yeah there's always that. Quote
Guest Posted April 11, 2010 Posted April 11, 2010 It seems you would rather comfort yourself in just dismissing me away as "incensed" when all I am doing is persisting with a disagreement. Quote
Aliensanctuary Posted April 12, 2010 Posted April 12, 2010 It's a tragedy that Adventism doesn't confer sainthood upon its most worthy. Here in Clubadventistland we should be giving out awards for Best Actor, Most Dramatic Performance, Biggest Liar, and the Nastiest Poster. The main problem with moving out into the country and living off the land is that one needs $$$$$ to get it started. The next problem is steady income to pay the bills and take care of the animals. Unless of course, one chooses to raise a highly profitable cash crop such as medical marijuana. With a cash cow like pot, one should also be skilled at dodging bullets fired by prospective "customers". If one lives in the country and works in the city, he will likely spend most of his retirement on transportation. Quote The Parable of the Lamb and the Pigpen https://www.createspace.com/3401451
Overaged Posted April 12, 2010 Posted April 12, 2010 I just took some clean socks out of the dryer, but they go on my feet!! Not sure where you wear yours! :smilewink: Quote: The only time I ever see you comment on anything is when you have something negative to say about somebody, Oh, I think that is a gross distortion, I am a very positive person...but some times you have to point out the 'poo'...don't like stepping in that!!! Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
Guest Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 For the record; I was deliberately very aggressive about this topic because I wanted to see the various reactions. To me; it was an important exercise to illustrate some of what I am thinking. So all that was just a phoney act, to get a response? An "exersise" in deception, to get a reaction? Do you really think that was a good idea? What about the part about trying to move to the country and failing, was that a lie too? And to think, there I was feeling sorry for a phoney, running an "important exercise" so he could "illustrate" something to himself. I bet that don't happen again. Not with me anyway. Quote
SivartM Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 Yes, because when people try to make points, they must be lying to do it. :\ I got you, Overaged. :) Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
Guest Posted April 13, 2010 Posted April 13, 2010 What point did he make? And what is your point? Deception is deception. You can call it something else if you want to. I don't care. Quote
SivartM Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 Where did he say he was being deceptive? He said he was aggressive to make a point. Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
Overaged Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 What point did he make? And what is your point? Deception is deception. You can call it something else if you want to. I don't care. Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
Guest Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 It wasn't me who called you angry. That was someone else. I remember when they did it, and I remember who it was. You should get your story straight. In fact I had't called you anything until you showed yourself to be a phony. That post is one page back. Quote: but it doesn't mean I support the interpretation being purported here by you and some others. Don't really care if you support it or not. You're not the arbiter of truth here. I never asked for your support. I do prefer to talk to people who are on the up and up though. Carry on with your little "important exercise" That is if you can get anybody to believe you now. Quote
Jodie Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 For the record; I was deliberately very aggressive about this topic because I wanted to see the various reactions. To me; it was an important exercise to illustrate some of what I am thinking. We too often promote various Adventist beliefs without really understanding them very well, and it creates untold hardships and animosities. It may surprise some that I actually am not bitter, nor am I against the idea of leaving the cities. In fact, my family and I are leaving the big city for a small town next month. Quote
Overaged Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 Originally Posted By: Overaged For the record; I was deliberately very aggressive about this topic because I wanted to see the various reactions. To me; it was an important exercise to illustrate some of what I am thinking. We too often promote various Adventist beliefs without really understanding them very well, and it creates untold hardships and animosities. It may surprise some that I actually am not bitter, nor am I against the idea of leaving the cities. In fact, my family and I are leaving the big city for a small town next month. Unbelievable! Have you even once stopped to consider how many people you may have discouraged from going to that seminar with your little "exercise", all the while you and you're family are on the verge of getting out of the city yourselves?? Actually, yes. I have thought about it very carefully. But when the rubber hits the road; absolutely no one who God is truly calling to leave the city would be the slightest bit discouraged about anything I said. If you would have read more closely, I said that we were moving into a small town; but it has nothing to do with what people have been trying to teach here; or that this seminar is trying to teach. A house was offered to us by someone at a very low rent, and it just happened to be in a small town. We would have made the same move, for the same reason, within the city where we currently live. So my original point remains. The responses I am getting demonstrate that those who support what this seminar's teachings are about, also support the types of responses I am getting; because they are all doing it. I remain convinced that people really misunderstand this area of what Mrs White wrote about. Maybe I didn't word my responses very well or explain properly what I mean; but I hope this has atleast gotten people to see think more carefully about this issue. What's "unbelievable" to me here is that people teach that everyone MUST get out of the cities, as if those who do not won't be saved. No need for Calvary then. You just have to "get out of the cities." Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
Jodie Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 What's "unbelievable" to me here is that people teach that everyone MUST get out of the cities, as if those who do not won't be saved. No need for Calvary then. You just have to "get out of the cities." What?? I've been over this thread and there is not one single person saying that anyone has to get out of the city to be saved! Not one! Stop twisting things to suit your mindset! Quote
Overaged Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 Well, shucks, I do believe you have stirred up a hornets nest here! Folks are just takin' this here forum thing a little to serious. A small town in Canada? I didn't know there were any large towns!! LOL, depends where in Canada you mean. We do have a few large cities, but not too many. To summarize re the OP, I have grown to see the admonitions to "get out of the cities" as a specialized calling, as an important ministry; kind of like Literature Evangelism where not too many can or should do it because they are not really called to do it, nor do they have the needed gifts and talents to carry it out. But I think if taken in their context the supplied quotes about getting out of the city would not be seen as something everyone must do. it's more for the small minority whom God especially chooses and calls; and the promoted seminar gives a different idea about it. Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
Overaged Posted April 14, 2010 Posted April 14, 2010 Originally Posted By: Overaged What's "unbelievable" to me here is that people teach that everyone MUST get out of the cities, as if those who do not won't be saved. No need for Calvary then. You just have to "get out of the cities." What?? I've been over this thread and there is not one single person saying that anyone has to get out of the city to be saved! Not one! Stop twisting things to suit your mindset! If some here want to say the supplied quotes by Ellen White on this subject mean that everyone must get out of the cities; and if they are trying to say it is not optional or conditional; then it does create the difficulty of the question I have brought up. If it's not a salvation issue to you, then that's fine. I have no quarrel with it then. Quote "People [rarely] see...the bright light which is in the clouds..." (Job 37:21)"I cannot know why suddenly the stormshould rage so fiercely round me in it's wrathBut this I know: God watches all my pathAnd I can trust""God helps us to draw strength from the storm" - OveragedFaith makes things possible; it does not make them easy, Steps To Christ
Moderators John317 Posted April 14, 2010 Moderators Posted April 14, 2010 Quote: Overaged: What's "unbelievable" to me here is that people teach that everyone MUST get out of the cities, as if those who do not won't be saved. No need for Calvary then. You just have to "get out of the cities." I don't think anyone believes people who stay in the cities won't be saved. God gave us those messsages because he wants us to avoid problems that we will have if we elect to stay in the cities. One purpose is to keep our children away from the influences of the large cities. We're reminded of the problems that Lot and his children had as a result of living in Sodom. It is definitely better for parents and their children to live outside of the big cities. Ellen White's counsel was that everyone should live outside of the big cities unless the Lord directed them to stay in it in order to do specific work to help people learn about the gospel. There were many reasons for this counsel, not simply because of the end-time events. The temptations are much stronger in the large cities, particularly for young people. I'm sure there are many parents who lost their children spiritually because of living in the cities. After living for many years in large cities, I've lived the last 15 years in a small town, and I wouldn't trust myself to live in a big city any more. Quote John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.