Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators
Posted

Quote:
We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. Heb 2:1 NIV.

Salvation by paying careful attention. Make sure you pay more careful attention, so you won't be lost. The Gospel!

The Bible also says this:

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. Rom 10:17 ESV.

How is that for good news? Is this salvation by hearing?

  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Gerr

    21

  • John317

    20

  • pnattmbtc

    18

  • fccool

    18

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Moderators
Posted

Or this: "....work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure." Phil 2:12,13 ESV

Or this: "But stay awake at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape..." Lk 21:36 - Is this salvation by staying awake?

Or this: 1 Pet 5:8 "Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." Salvation by being sober?

  • Moderators
Posted

Quote:

I don't see how what you posted addresses that fact that to be lost one must resist the Holy Spirit. Also, it seems to be rather a negative view of God, to think that He wouldn't do anything to save someone who was not paying close enough attention. Doesn't God care if we're saved or not? He's just going to sit idly by and let us drift away?

Is not neglect a form/way of resisting the Spirit? And what does Heb 2:1-2 mean to you?

  • Moderators
Posted

Talking with cons is SO difficult.

Difficult only when one makes remarks like "truth is over-rated".

Posted

it's the Gospel Truth. It's a sign of the times. But it due mostly to ultra conservatives.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

  • Moderators
Posted

it's the Gospel Truth. It's a sign of the times. But it due mostly to ultra conservatives.

What's the "Gospel Truth?" That "truth is over-rated?"

Posted

It's over-rated by the cons. Not by me.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

  • Moderators
Posted

It's over-rated by the cons. Not by me.

First it was YOU who said, "truth is over-rated." Now you say, "not by me."

No wonder communication with you is so difficult!!!

Posted

I never said it was over-rated by me. I said it was over-rated. And it IS over-rated by the cons.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

John 16:13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth:

Another example of a con over-rating the truth? I have to ask myself, why would Jesus send the spirit of truth to lead us into all truth, if it is over-rated? By extension your statement also makes the Holy Spirit over-rated and un-important. Since he is the Spirit of Truth.

Posted

Quote:
p:I don't see how what you posted addresses that fact that to be lost one must resist the Holy Spirit. Also, it seems to be rather a negative view of God, to think that He wouldn't do anything to save someone who was not paying close enough attention. Doesn't God care if we're saved or not? He's just going to sit idly by and let us drift away?

G:Is not neglect a form/way of resisting the Spirit?

I would say neglect *involves* resisting the Spirit. That is, you cannot neglect without resisting.

The key point I've been bringing out is that there is resistance, and that God loves you too much to allow you to slip away without making it clear to you that you're in trouble. You have to "fight against the pricks" if you want to be lost.

Quote:
And what does Heb 2:1-2 mean to you?

I thought fccool's explanation was pretty good.

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

Posted

The Bible also says this:

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. Rom 10:17 ESV.

How is that for good news? Is this salvation by hearing?

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

  • Moderators
Posted

I never said it was over-rated by me. I said it was over-rated. And it IS over-rated by the cons.

And did I say or anyone else except you say that truth is over-rated? Now you are backing away from your initial post. Read it.

  • Moderators
Posted

Quote:
And what does Heb 2:1-2 mean to you?

I thought fccool's explanation was pretty good.

Sorry. Didn't buy it. Not good enough.

Posted

The Bible also says this:

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. Rom 10:17 ESV.

How is that for good news? Is this salvation by hearing?

I don't quite understand your point. What happened to those who did not have the written scripture or those who were illiterate and could not read... like most of human population until recent history.

Posted

Truth is over-rated. We all have a different degree of truth. And all of us will be lacking to some degree until we see Jesus in Heaven and He then fills us in.
i think i get your point...we all believe what we have is "truth"? and try to inflict that understanding on others?

while what we have is only a partial understanding?

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

Posted

Originally Posted By: Woody
I never said it was over-rated by me. I said it was over-rated. And it IS over-rated by the cons.

And did I say or anyone else except you say that truth is over-rated? Now you are backing away from your initial post. Read it.

I never said you would admit it or see it. But the truth IS over-rated by some.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

Originally Posted By: Woody
Truth is over-rated. We all have a different degree of truth. And all of us will be lacking to some degree until we see Jesus in Heaven and He then fills us in.
i think i get your point...we all believe what we have is "truth"? and try to inflict that understanding on others?

while what we have is only a partial understanding?

Bingo as Rob would say. Thank you. I was beginning to think I had some huge problem with my writing skills. At least that is what some here have portrayed. But, I will continue to hold my head up in pride ... that "I" know the "truth".

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

I would say neglect *involves* resisting the Spirit. That is, you cannot neglect without resisting.

I don't think so. I can neglect taking out the trash without putting up any resistance at all. I can walk right past it, and it doesn't even cross my mind to take it out.

You can neglect something by merely forgetting to do it. It doesn't require a concious effort.

Ne-glect:

1. to omit, through indifference or carelessness: to neglect to reply to an invitation.

2. To fail to do or carry out, as through carelessness or oversight: neglected to return the call.

3. to fail to carry out or perform (orders, duties, etc.): to neglect the household chores.

Posted

every time it occurred to you to take out the trash and you didnt, you "resisted"...

forgetting on the other hand is another issue, but God doenst let us forget, is pnattmbtc point.

the definition itself contradicts your conclusion.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

Posted

I was beginning to think I had some huge problem with my writing skills.

Well, "truth is overrated," wasn't an example of great writing skill. However, it was obvious to me that you wrote it tongue in cheek. I would have expected someone to ask you what you meant before responding. It was obvious you had something in mind.

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

Posted

Well ... I thought it was clear. At least teresa understood. But I can see how it could be interpreted in other ways.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

forgetting on the other hand is another issue, but God doenst let us forget, is pnattmbtc point.

Yes.

To me it seems intuitively obvious that God won't let anyone be lost without a fight. In my life, there have been a couple of occasions where God revealed Himself to me in a truly striking way. If God would do this for me, why not for others? How does anyone know about God? Isn't it because God reveals Himself and makes an appeal? He's not going to let people be lost without trying to do something about it, right? How could that make any sense?

Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God.

Posted

Overall I believe that is the case. But there WILL be that group of people who believe they are saved, when they are actually lost. Jesus wasn't lying when He said that.

Posted
Well ... I thought it was clear. At least teresa understood. But I can see how it could be interpreted in other ways.
it took a minute, :), but i agree with pnattmbtc. either asking what you meant, or disregarding your comment entirely, would have been much more mature, i think.

facebook. /teresa.quintero.790

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...