Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Principal Bans Hispanic Students from Speaking Spanish


Recommended Posts

Posted

This is the unsavory part of the whole story. This is heavy handed and speaks to deep disdain some people have for the culture of others.

It is not. What it is many getting tired of the other cultures not respecting our American ways and the English language. Funny how liberals turn everything upside down and still don't make any sense.

  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • bonnie

    37

  • cricket

    16

  • Green Cochoa

    16

  • ClubV12

    15

Posted

Originally Posted By: lazarus
This is the unsavory part of the whole story. This is heavy handed and speaks to deep disdain some people have for the culture of others.

It is not. What it is many getting tired of the other cultures not respecting our American ways and the English language. Funny how liberals turn everything upside down and still don't make any sense.

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.

 

George Bernard Shaw

 

Posted

Hempstead, Tx is a small rural town just Northwest of Houston. It used to be mostly white farmers living there, but urban sprawl has apparently changed the demographics.

I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.

Frederick Douglass

Posted

Hmmmmmmm................................funny how when one runs out of things to say, they resort to name calling.....it's kinda a shame when that happens.....

Did I call YOU a name? No, I didn't. Why is it you find it necessary to LIE? This is exactly why I have made the decision to opt out of the SDA denomination. Between pastors and head elders lying and so many within the denomination...

  • Members
Posted

can you imagine what might happen when there is language chaos in a classroom when an exam is in progress? Don't know an answer? Ask someone in a foreign language....they can respond in like, and give the answer. Interesting that some think that's cool.

The fact is, if the supervising teacher does not understand what the students are saying in the classroom, during class time, that's a recipe for disaster.... in more ways than one.

Pam     coffeecomputer.GIF   

Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup.

If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony.

Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?

Posted

can you imagine what might happen when there is language chaos in a classroom when an exam is in progress? Don't know an answer? Ask someone in a foreign language....they can respond in like, and give the answer. Interesting that some think that's cool.

The fact is, if the supervising teacher does not understand what the students are saying in the classroom, during class time, that's a recipe for disaster.... in more ways than one.

The problem is,you are using common sense. That flew out the window a long time ago.

Now it is called fear and hatred of those that speak another language.Teachers here would have to be fluent in three or four languages. Can you imagine what that would mean to our schools?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Posted

Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa

American education is on the decline. It used to be that people learned other languages in school: frequently Latin, French, German, Greek, and Hebrew. Perhaps nowadays we should be teaching Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and Russian.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

American education has been on the decline for longer than most think. It has nothing to do with speaking more than one language. It has to do with liberal policies in the education system. The Common Core is just an example of their idiocy.

Indeed!

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

  • Administrators
Posted

Originally Posted By: Neil D

Hmmmmmmm................................funny how when one runs out of things to say, they resort to name calling.....it's kinda a shame when that happens.....

Did I call YOU a name? No, I didn't. Why is it you find it necessary to LIE? This is exactly why I have made the decision to opt out of the SDA denomination. Between pastors and head elders lying and so many within the denomination...

Moderator Note:

It is time to calm down, pull in the claws and take a deep breath... And take a long look in the mirror. This sniping back and forth is unacceptable and inappropriate forum behavior. And one should consider taking a long pause when responding to avoid over reacting and needlessly taking everything personally.

And for the record, OW, Neil did not say YOU called HIM a name either. But you DID accuse him of lying. What he DID say was an accurate observation of what he observed as happening without identifying anyone specific. So that really makes you the one that is mistaken, don't you think?

OK. Let's return to the regularly scheduled programming of whining and complaining that America is going to hell in a hand basket... But without accusing one another of being in the driver's seat...

And for goodness sake, please stop turning everything into a political shooting match. We have a place for that. But this is not that place.

backtopic

"Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good."

"Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal."

"I love God only as much as the person I love the least."

*Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth.

(And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)

Posted

What's the official language of the United States?

When I go into a grocery store and need assistance,like most I want someone capable of understanding what I am saying. I want my kids to be able to understand the language a teacher is teaching in,when I go out to eat I want a server that can correctly take my order.That for most of us is english.

When I go to the local Chinese Buffet,I know that may not be the case. They do not hire any "white or non-chinese employee's". For many english is limited and it can get interesting placing an order. That's okay,I know that going in.They have put in the long hours and the financial sacrifice to make it a successful business and should be able to hire and not hire who they please.However that does not cut both ways. It is some sign of fear and hatred for others to do same. We have a wonderful Mexican restaurant,staffed only by mexicans,again most with limited english.All others know not to apply to be employed there. Can't imagine any "white" business owner getting by with,"no mexicans or chinese need apply" Is that hatred and fear on their part?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Posted

It is unreasonable to set forth a law that requires punishment for doing something that is harmless in the classroom and unreasonable of any human being. Communication is what sets us apart from animals. To deny any human being their very real and basic need for communication is not right.

There is no official language in these United States.

There are thousands of Spanish classrooms across this country where the use of English will get you in trouble with said Spanish teacher. Schools are a place for learning. They have turned into nothing but a place to socialize to the detriment of all involved.

You are looking for a government document stating that English is the official language of the United States? So that one particular detail may be missing. However, read the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and every other bill written in this country from time immemorial and you will find one language throughout all of them: English. English is the common law language of the United States.

Remember Adventists Online?

  • Members
Posted

Originally Posted By: cricket
What's the official language of the United States?

When I go into a grocery store and need assistance,like most I want someone capable of understanding what I am saying. I want my kids to be able to understand the language a teacher is teaching in,when I go out to eat I want a server that can correctly take my order.That for most of us is english.

When I go to the local Chinese Buffet,I know that may not be the case. They do not hire any "white or non-chinese employee's". For many english is limited and it can get interesting placing an order. That's okay,I know that going in.They have put in the long hours and the financial sacrifice to make it a successful business and should be able to hire and not hire who they please.However that does not cut both ways. It is some sign of fear and hatred for others to do same. We have a wonderful Mexican restaurant,staffed only by mexicans,again most with limited english.All others know not to apply to be employed there. Can't imagine any "white" business owner getting by with,"no mexicans or chinese need apply" Is that hatred and fear on their part?

The official language that I've heard so far in my walk through the USofA is "American." Have yet in my 60+years had any problem with understanding anyone in any kind of store, restaurant, Ballpark Park, Gym, School, etc., that I've asked a question to. Having said that, I agree that in the classroom we should have common language. Which in this country in is the American language. I worked with a Hispanic friend, and he told me he thinks all hispanics should learn the American language. He says we make it to easy for Spanish speaking people to not learn American. I remember when my grandparents came to America, they went to night school and learned our language. Than got a job down in Manhattan and worked there for 10 years before moving back to Germany.

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
  • Members
Posted

It is unreasonable to set forth a law that requires punishment for doing something that is harmless in the classroom and unreasonable of any human being. Communication is what sets us apart from animals. To deny any human being their very real and basic need for communication is not right.
I agree that there shouldn't be a law, but there should be a rule that requires people to speak in American, so the teacher can understand what is being said. Because as has been mentioned, its very easy to speak in another language and give away answers to a test that is being taken. This happens all the time. When I was going to school back in the 60s, this happen all the time.

Originally Posted By: cricket
There is no official language in these United States.
I don't buy that for one minute. That's just my opinion.

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

Originally Posted By: cricket
There is no official language in these United States.
I don't buy that for one minute. That's just my opinion.

There is NO official language for the country! Some states have passed amendments and such to have official language but there is none for the country.

Posted

I agree that there shouldn't be a law, but there should be a rule that requires people to speak in American, so the teacher can understand what is being said. Because as has been mentioned, its very easy to speak in another language and give away answers to a test that is being taken. This happens all the time. When I was going to school back in the 60s, this happen all the time.

So why not just ask that the students remain silent during a test? Why ban them from speaking their own language?

Has anyone here given thought to banning from the classroom:

...pig latin?

...secret handshakes?

...hand-written notes requiring a decoder?

...sign language?

...l337 speak?

...silently mouthing words?

...twins from using their own special, made-up language?

...Adventist "speak"?

...shorthand?

...cursive or script writing? (And I mention this one because I've heard tales that there are some teachers now who have never learned to read cursive.)

Posted

So why not just ask that the students remain silent during a test? Why ban them from speaking their own language?

Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this.

Quotes by Susan Gottesman

Posted

What's the official language of the United States?
What language is your question?

"President Theodore Roosevelt stated in 1907, “We have room for but one language in this country, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house.”

"Please don't feed the drama queens.."

Posted

Es muy feo cuando la gente no quiere dejar a alguien para hablar su propio idioma. Es por miedo. Tienen mucho miedo de mucas cosas. Es triste en realidad pero asi es. Estoy alegrde que la directora de esa escuela esta castigada. Asi debe ser.

En realidad no tiene que hacerlo prohibido. Mu niño pude hablar y entender los dos idiomas cuando empezo a kinder pero despues de un año casi no pude español - aunque lo hablemos en casa. Ahora y casi no sabe nada - aunque mi niña si.

Español es muy importante aqui porque México es nuestro vacino. Asi es diferente que los imigrantes de Alemania, Irlandes o Italia. Esas paises estan lejos de aqui. México esta a la par de nosotros y siempre vamos a estar trabajando con ellos haciendo ventas y compras. Los que no pueden Español deben ser obligados a estudiarlo en la escuela.

Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com 

Author of  Peculiar Christianity

Posted

Originally Posted By: cricket

So why not just ask that the students remain silent during a test? Why ban them from speaking their own language?

So you are okay with telling students to remain silent in class,but not to tell them they need to speak english in a english speaking class with a english speaking teacher. Probably partially solve the problem

Posted

Originally Posted By: cricket
What's the official language of the United States?
What language is your question?

"President Theodore Roosevelt stated in 1907, “We have room for but one language in this country, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house.”

I posted in English because the majority of readers here speak English. Had I been speaking to my German friends or my Norwegian relatives, I would have used a different language.

  • Members
Posted

Es muy feo cuando la gente no quiere dejar a alguien para hablar su propio idioma. Es por miedo. Tienen mucho miedo de mucas cosas. Es triste en realidad pero asi es. Estoy alegrde que la directora de esa escuela esta castigada. Asi debe ser.

En realidad no tiene que hacerlo prohibido. Mu niño pude hablar y entender los dos idiomas cuando empezo a kinder pero despues de un año casi no pude español - aunque lo hablemos en casa. Ahora y casi no sabe nada - aunque mi niña si.

Español es muy importante aqui porque México es nuestro vacino. Asi es diferente que los imigrantes de Alemania, Irlandes o Italia. Esas paises estan lejos de aqui. México esta a la par de nosotros y siempre vamos a estar trabajando con ellos haciendo ventas y compras. Los que no pueden Español deben ser obligados a estudiarlo en la escuela.

I don't understand at all what you wrote, but I think I understand the meaning of what you wrote! If I'm wrong don't let me know. LOL

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

If PK is wrong, let him know in English, OK?

Hey, not that I'm an arrogant and bias American, like the teacher, I'd just like to know whats going on in this here classroom. :)

  • Members
Posted

If PK is wrong, let him know in English, OK?

Hey, not that I'm an arrogant and bias American, like the teacher, I'd just like to know whats going on in this here classroom. :)

excited

phkrause

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Posted

Es muy feo cuando la gente no quiere dejar a alguien para hablar su propio idioma. Es por miedo. Tienen mucho miedo de mucas cosas. Es triste en realidad pero asi es. Estoy alegrde que la directora de esa escuela esta castigada. Asi debe ser.

En realidad no tiene que hacerlo prohibido. Mu niño pude hablar y entender los dos idiomas cuando empezo a kinder pero despues de un año casi no pude español - aunque lo hablemos en casa. Ahora y casi no sabe nada - aunque mi niña si.

Español es muy importante aqui porque México es nuestro vacino. Asi es diferente que los imigrantes de Alemania, Irlandes o Italia. Esas paises estan lejos de aqui. México esta a la par de nosotros y siempre vamos a estar trabajando con ellos haciendo ventas y compras. Los que no pueden Español deben ser obligados a estudiarlo en la escuela.

¡Exactamente!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...