Jump to content
ClubAdventist

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Woody

    41

  • Robert

    35

  • Norman Byers, N.D.

    24

  • Gerr

    23

  • Moderators
Posted

Quote:

Quote:
The Bible says very plainly that sin separates from God.

No John, sin HAS separated us from God. We have been reconciled "in Christ"!

Are you saying that once I have been reconciled to God, I can resume my life of sin? That my sins will not separate me from God?

Gerry

[

Posted

Quote:

Quote:
The Bible says very plainly that sin separates from God.

No John, sin HAS separated us from God. We have been reconciled "in Christ"!

Are you saying that once I have been reconciled to God, I can resume my life of sin? That my sins will not separate me from God?

Gerry

[

I am saying, as does Paul, that you and I are failing to fully measure up to the spirit of the law's demands. Since you are falling short of God's agape love the law counts you as a sinner.

Comprehend?

Rob

  • Moderators
Posted

Originally Posted By: Gerry Cabalo
Quote:

Quote:
The Bible says very plainly that sin separates from God.

No John, sin HAS separated us from God. We have been reconciled "in Christ"!

Are you saying that once I have been reconciled to God, I can resume my life of sin? That my sins will not separate me from God?

Gerry

[

I am saying, as does Paul, that you and I are failing to fully measure up to the spirit of the law's demands. Since you are falling short of God's agape love the law counts you as a sinner.

Comprehend?

Rob

First of all, no one that I know of in this forum has ever claimed a righteousness of their own that measures up to the demands of the law. The only righteousness that can measure up to the scrutiny of the law is the "righteousness of God" that is received through faith in Jesus Christ, Rom 3:21,22. Such a believer who receives this righteousness by faith manifests it by "working through love." Gal 5:6. Such love, according to Paul, fulfills the requirements of the law under grace. The former is the basis of the faith that saves; the latter is its fruit. Without it, as James says, such faith is dead.

This much I comprehend.

Gerry

Posted

Originally Posted By: Robert

I am saying, as does Paul, that you and I are failing to fully measure up to the spirit of the law's demands. Since you are falling short of God's agape love the law counts you as a sinner.

Comprehend?

Rob [/quote']

Such love, according to Paul, fulfills the requirements of the law under grace. saywa

This much I comprehend.

So "under grace" we must keep a watered down version of the law? You know, if it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.

What I am hearing is a subtle form of legalism. Does the law of God look at you as a sinner or not? I'm not talking of your position "in Christ" - I am talking how does the law view you? Are you measuring up?

Let me give you EGW:

"Not to see the marked contrast between Christ and ourselves is not to know ourselves. He who does not abhor himself can not understand the meaning of redemption." [R&H 9-25-1900]

"While those addressed are flattering themselves that they are in an exalted spiritual condition, the message of the True Witness breaks their security by the startling denunciation of their true condition of spiritual blindness, poverty, and wretchedness." [3T 252]

"When the light from Christ shines into our souls, we shall see how impure we are; we shall discern the selfishness of motive, the enmity against God, that has defiled every act of life." [sC 28,29]

  • Moderators
Posted

Quote:

Such love, according to Paul, fulfills the requirements of the law under grace. saywa

This much I comprehend.

So "under grace" we must keep a watered down version of the law?

Not at all!!! I have already stated that the legal requirements of the law was met by the perfect, sinless life of Christ who is the believer's perfect sacrificial Lamb!!! God cannot be just if He were to demand from fallen human beings the same thing He expected from the sinless Adam!!! Only a merciless legalist would do that and say, "It's the law!!!" The God I know does not expect of a newborn what He expects from an adult. That's love, mercy, and grace. When our merciful, loving, and gracious God forgives a sinner, He does not leave him where He is. He transforms him by giving him a new heart/mind and gives him His Holy Spirit to empower him to obey. God would be a liar to announce to the universe that sinner so and so is perfect and sinless while sinner so and so continues to live in rebellion against the gov't of heaven.

Please re-read my previous post.

Gerry

Posted

Originally Posted By: John317

...and of course every time we sin and truly repent of it' date=' he is there for us.

"The soul who sees Jesus by faith, repudiates his own righteousness [as did Job and Paul']. He sees himself as incomplete, his repentance insufficient, his strongest faith but feebleness, his most costly sacrifice as meager, and he sinks in humility at the foot of the cross. But a voice speaks to him from the oracles of God's Word. In amazement he hears the message, "Ye are complete in Him." Now all is at rest in his soul. No longer must he strive to find some worthiness in himself, some meritorious deed by which to gain the favor of God.” [EGW]

Quote:
The Bible says very plainly that sin separates from God.

No John, sin HAS separated us from God. We have been reconciled "in Christ"!

Quote:
Being dead to sin means we don't obey sin's desires.

You're still selfish, right? What's wrong?

“The law of God condemns all selfishness, all pride of heart, every species of dishonesty, every secret or open transgression.” [sT 3-30-1888]

“There is not a motive in the depths of the heart, not a secret within us, not a design that God does not fully comprehend.” [OHC 139]

“God's law reaches the feelings and motives, as well as the outward acts. It reveals the secrets of the heart, flashing light upon things before buried in darkness. God knows every thought, every purpose, every plan, every motive. The books of heaven record the sins that would have been committed had there been opportunity. God will bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing. “ [5BC 1085]

Rob

Rob ... I am a little slow ... but I do want to thank you so much for this post. I've copied and pasted it for further reference. It is so valuable. And so needed for us to know.

Thank you.

May we be one so that the world may be won.
Christian from the cradle to the grave
I believe in Hematology.
 

Posted

I have already stated that the legal requirements of the law was met by the perfect, sinless life of Christ who is the believer's perfect sacrificial Lamb!!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


If you find some value to this community, please help out with a few dollars per month.



×
×
  • Create New...