Moderators Bravus Posted March 12, 2007 Moderators Posted March 12, 2007 I am indeed of Irish descent: 'Geelan' is apparently an Anglicisation of 'Gillan', and there is actually an old Geelan family house in County Kerry. Looking it my keyboard, though, I suspect maybe Redwood might have hit one letter to the right of a letter he was looking for (being as he's on the right and all), when he identified me as a 'bog boy'. Quote Truth is important
David Koot Posted March 12, 2007 Posted March 12, 2007 So is Geelan an Irish name then, Dave? Graeme Sure and it is!! And I see that has now been confirmed out of the horse's mouth!! I knew it!!!! Quote
Planey Posted March 12, 2007 Posted March 12, 2007 Actually (as you would have known, Bravus) I was just having a dig at Redwood - I realised it was just a typo but knowing Eire has about one sixth of its area covered by the ubiquitous bogs I put two and two together and got seventeen as usual. Graeme Quote Graeme____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Woody Posted March 12, 2007 Posted March 12, 2007 I am indeed of Irish descent: 'Geelan' is apparently an Anglicisation of 'Gillan', and there is actually an old Geelan family house in County Kerry. Looking it my keyboard, though, I suspect maybe Redwood might have hit one letter to the right of a letter he was looking for (being as he's on the right and all), when he identified me as a 'bog boy'. Hey ... It is good to know there is a fellow Irishman here. County Kerry is my favorite. Have you been through the Ring of Kerry? Beautiful. The typo was God given since you ARE a Bog Man after all. I knew there was SOMTHING I liked about you. Guess we now have a new name for you. Here's to being on the RIGHT side of things even when I am not aware that I am. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Moderators Nan Posted March 12, 2007 Moderators Posted March 12, 2007 For reasons totally unrelated to what has so far been posted, please do not refer to Bravus as a 'bog man' or 'bog boy' - definitely not complimentary in this part of the world (well Sydney, I will not speak for Brisbane ) Of course he is a great guy to have around, that is not in dispute. I know if anyone referred to me as a bog woman (and there is a little Irish some generations back) I would, like Queen Victoria, NOT be amused!!!! Quote
Woody Posted March 12, 2007 Posted March 12, 2007 In Eire ... it is a compliment. Those who live and work in the Bog are honest and respected hard working rugged people. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Moderators Nan Posted March 12, 2007 Moderators Posted March 12, 2007 I gathered that - but would not rate as that in certain other parts of the world. But as we are talking of the Irish....guess that is fine. Quote
Woody Posted March 12, 2007 Posted March 12, 2007 Actually we are talking about temper tantrums and so the Irish are way off topic. So ... I apologize. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Moderators Nan Posted March 12, 2007 Moderators Posted March 12, 2007 Isn't Irish and talking about them OK in any setting? Reminds me of that paper that circulated years ago "The Irish Higher School Certificate Exam" that had a whole lot of very silly and very funny questions ("In the 1972 Greyhound Trials who was the winning jockey?") and the candidates in describing Ireland were confined to six sheets of paper! OK I am even further off topic and will now desist. :) Quote
Woody Posted March 12, 2007 Posted March 12, 2007 Actually ... The topic is Temper tantrums ... And I don't know of any cultural group with more temper than the Irish. Can I say that since I am part Irish? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted March 12, 2007 Members Posted March 12, 2007 As I am also part Irish... yes.. The Celtic temper is not a friendly one. Quote Pam      Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Woody Posted March 12, 2007 Posted March 12, 2007 Quote: It makes giving a requirement for heaven! Robert ... not only do SDAs believe that tithing is a requirement for Heaven personally ... If you are a Pastor you are held accountable for the faithfulness of those under you. See the following from Ellen White: "Let the church appoint pastors or elders who are devoted to the Lord Jesus, and let these men see that officers are chosen who will attend faithfully to the work of gathering in the tithe. If the pastors show that they are not fitted for their charge, if they fail to set before the church the importance of returning to God His own, if they do not see to it that the officers under them are faithful, and that the tithe is brought in, they are in peril. They are neglecting a matter which involves a blessing or a curse to the church. They should be relieved of their responsibility, and other men should be tested and tried. " CS 106 Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Moderators Bravus Posted March 12, 2007 Moderators Posted March 12, 2007 The temper gene must have bypassed me - I'm one of the mellowest dudes around. Tithe is pretty off topic too, I think: the thread was about representation among senior church leadership by African-Americans and other non-traditional groups. Quote Truth is important
Woody Posted March 12, 2007 Posted March 12, 2007 Hey Bravus ... I feel a Temper Tantrum coming on right now. I am trying to figure out what this thread was all about so I could return to it. Something about African Americans having a temper tantrum? Help me out here !! But since I just can't figure that out ... I will just have to return to my Temper tantrum. And since I am Irish ... I can do that. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Moderators Bravus Posted March 12, 2007 Moderators Posted March 12, 2007 Basically, someone wrote an article about that issue, and Don suggested that the article constituted a 'temper tantrum' (as opposed to, say, raising an important issue that deserves some serious thought and discussion). It pretty much all went downhill from there... Quote Truth is important
Administrators Gail Posted March 12, 2007 Administrators Posted March 12, 2007 Nine pages of downhill? You guys sure stuck it out! Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Woody Posted March 12, 2007 Posted March 12, 2007 Well ... please tell me what is left for me to talk about. I know I have lots to say ... but what it is ... I just don't know what it is. HELP !!! I like the subject of this thread so much ... I just don't want it to die. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Moderators Bravus Posted March 12, 2007 Moderators Posted March 12, 2007 Well, the whole 'if your tithes don't go to the conference office, you don't go to heaven' threadjack puffed it out a bit Quote Truth is important
Woody Posted March 12, 2007 Posted March 12, 2007 Then came the bog boy. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Woody Posted March 12, 2007 Posted March 12, 2007 Where are the Thread Police when you need them. Pam Pam ... Where are you? Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Moderators Bravus Posted March 12, 2007 Moderators Posted March 12, 2007 I say there are not enough bog boys in church leadership Quote Truth is important
David Koot Posted March 13, 2007 Posted March 13, 2007 I say there are not enough bog boys in church leadership True enough! Add a few tried and true connivers to the mix! Quote
David Koot Posted March 13, 2007 Posted March 13, 2007 Well ... please tell me what is left for me to talk about. I know I have lots to say ... but what it is ... I just don't know what it is. HELP !!! Come now, Redwood needs someone to take him by the hand and lead him! Any volunteers? Quote
Planey Posted March 13, 2007 Posted March 13, 2007 I must learn to ignore anybody's typos, no matter how funny/weird/cute/enigmatic I think they are . Sorry. However, now that I've inadvertently thread-jacked this strand, may I point out that I may have been premature labelling our bog boy as Irish. I realised later that the world annual Bog Snorkelling championships are held on the Bank Holiday in August in Wales! "Competitors have to complete two lengths of a 60 yard trench cut through the peat bog in the quickest time possible, wearing snorkels and flippers (wet suits optional but advisable) but without using any conventional swimming strokes." So maybe Mr Bravus is in fact a Taffy?!?? Graeme Quote Graeme____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Woody Posted March 13, 2007 Posted March 13, 2007 Well ... I feel good about ourselves. We actually got to page ten with a lot of talk about nothing. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology. Â
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.