Woody Posted December 9, 2008 Posted December 9, 2008 I agree with you Shane. I think that a little tolerance on both sides would be good. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Sulla Posted December 10, 2008 Author Posted December 10, 2008 Quote: You didn't really engage with the logic of my point at all. Let me try to simplify it even further: * The Bible condemns many bad things * (As you noted) drama existed in Bible times * The Bible does not condemn drama In the absence of further evidence, the conclusion would be that the Bible writers did not see drama as something bad that required condemnation. Not, as you seem to be claiming, that they did see it as bad but were unaccountably silent on the topic. The question of judging drama on its content is precisely the question you've been trying to avoid all along - the drama produced by the church has good content, but you want to condemn it simply because it's drama. No I understand your logic I just think its faulty. If you read about the history of theater in the Bible world it all evolved from Pagan practices. And would have been condemned just in mentioning condemning pagan practices. On the other hand over the long period of time in the Bible we are told about evangalism in many other ways. For example, preaching, miracles, parables etc. But never any street performances or people acting. Not one time in this vast period. So I stay still with the evidence of early christians, the Bible and spirit of prophecy there is not much of a case to be made that its ok. Quote
Sulla Posted December 10, 2008 Author Posted December 10, 2008 Quote: I've noticed a lot of confusion from you ... but I never said that Theaters had not been invented ... because as I have stated ... Ellen White attended them. Could be this are you talking about movie theaters or plays? Because some one said movies were not invented yet and I thought it was you. Quote
Sulla Posted December 10, 2008 Author Posted December 10, 2008 Quote: All I can go by is that Ellen White said she went the Theater. What that meant at her time ... I have no idea. But I do know that they did not have 'movies' in her time. I know John and I both asked for the quotes or info about her and theater attendance. I still have not seen it. So I cant comment on it until I do. Quote
Sulla Posted December 10, 2008 Author Posted December 10, 2008 Quote: Apparently there was nothing wrong with the building itself ... just the content of what was witnessed. No one ever said it was wrong to use a theater for meetings. And sorry I did not the quote till after posting the other one. :) Quote
fccool Posted December 10, 2008 Posted December 10, 2008 Quote: No I understand your logic I just think its faulty. If you read about the history of theater in the Bible world it all evolved from Pagan practices. And would have been condemned just in mentioning condemning pagan practices. On the other hand over the long period of time in the Bible we are told about evangalism in many other ways. For example, preaching, miracles, parables etc. But never any street performances or people acting. Not one time in this vast period. So I stay still with the evidence of early christians, the Bible and spirit of prophecy there is not much of a case to be made that its ok. The Bible leaves much of the cultural information out. It says nothing about computers and Internet, it sais nothing about humans flying now. It is not designed to be encyclopedia of "dos and don'ts". God respects our choices, and everything that He had originally created was good and for our benefit. We took those good things and misused them. I think from the point #1 you make an assumption that theater is wrong because E.G.White stated that it is. A couple of thoughts though: 1) E.G. White stated that bicycles are a work of the devil and that masturbation causes diseases and blindness... and she was not speaking about spiritual side either... literal disease and blindness. She was not alway 100% right, and many times she was speaking based on the cultural knowledge and stigmata of the age. She said that people should stay away from the cities to raise the family. A good guideline that most of the people on this forum do not follow. Let's not turn her into our pope! I see some people quote her more than they quote Bible. With the above being said, you make it sound like human creativity and expression is something that we should not be aspiring to. Is it wrong to paint a picture? Theater is only expression of human imagination in our minds. You have dreams, don't you? Are they all absolutely true and accurate? Do you share your dreams with other people? Obviously there are boundaries for any Christian as far as the purpose of the expression... BUT! Some people make God sound like a great megalomaniac up there. He does not want you to talk about Him 24/7, that's not love... that's obsessive infatuation. Fanaticism. Ask any sports stars if they like obsessive fans, and they will tell them these people are irrational. Yet, I see many Christians think that this is what Christian should be like... only talking about God, only watching Christian movies, only reading Christian literature. And by "Christian" they label it... "Contains language that mentions God as often as possible". God wants us to enjoy the creative aspects of the human mind. We gain knowledge through stories that other people tell us. The moment a story is told... your imagination kicks in and you will experience theater of the mind whether you like it or not. So, please... let us separate guns from killers, and stop this canonization of cultural preferences. If it's not mentioned in the Bible as explicitly wrong... it's a cultural preference. Quote
Neil D Posted December 10, 2008 Posted December 10, 2008 First the one is what should we view generally. And the Bible says what is pure and holy. The same understanding as the early church fathers. This alone would make watching most TV or movies not a good thing to do. Think about it most TVs and plays have, murder, cheating, sex outside of marriage and much much worse. And even the "good" drama always has some bad people. Because without some kind of danger or problem you cant make something dramatic. Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Sulla Posted December 11, 2008 Author Posted December 11, 2008 Well like I said I think this subject has run its course. Quote
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted December 11, 2008 Administrators Posted December 11, 2008 ...and that, long before you ever brought it up... Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Neil D Posted December 11, 2008 Posted December 11, 2008 ...and that, long before you ever brought it up... :smile: Quote Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Dr. Shane Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 I think this is a subject the church needs to discuss more frequently. The devil uses the entertainment industry to capture many many souls. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted December 12, 2008 Posted December 12, 2008 Yes, the devil uses everything but not everything is equally effective. Music and movies are like nuclear bombs in the devil's arsenal to win hearts and souls. Few other tools are as effective for leading men and women down the path of misery and death. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted December 13, 2008 Administrators Posted December 13, 2008 Yes, the devil uses everything but not everything is equally effective. Music and movies are like nuclear bombs in the devil's arsenal to win hearts and souls. Few other tools are as effective for leading men and women down the path of misery and death. And why should the devil have all the good music... and movies. If these mediums to get a message to sink in real deep are nuclear, then let's reclaim them for God's arsenal to win hearts and souls! And that begs the answer to the question that started this whole thread... Tom Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Taylor Posted December 13, 2008 Posted December 13, 2008 Amen that is true that the devil has really worked havoc in influencing people with movies and music but we should definately have good ones there to influence people for the Lord. Amen! Quote
Dr. Shane Posted December 13, 2008 Posted December 13, 2008 I am all for the church becoming relevant to society. "Becoming relevant" is like a catch phrase for using popular music and drama in a Christian format. I think the leadership of the church is on board but many of the older generation and the baby boomers are resistant to it. Most of my generation, (Generation X) understands the winning the souls of our generation and that of Generation Y means becoming relevant. However that does not mean that we compromise with sin. Watching most R-rated movies is sin - in the theater or at home. Many PG and PG-13 movies have objectionable scenes and plots that make them sinful. Some G-rated movies are sinful. A lot of secular music has sinful lyrics that we should not be listening to. We cannot mix the pure with the perverted and think it is OK. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Taylor Posted December 13, 2008 Posted December 13, 2008 True enough Shane. That is why we must create things of a completely new order but use technology for God. Quote
Moderators Kevin H Posted December 14, 2008 Moderators Posted December 14, 2008 Mrs. White's comments about fiction and the novel and libaries was not in a vacuum. She was one of many literary voices speaking out in similar ways against them. The issue is when you look at some of the people involved with this movement and critizism Mrs. White is joined by Nathanel Hawthorn and Herman Melvil. Looking at the careers of these critics of fiction and the novel maybe we need to find out what Mrs. White, Hawthorn and Melvil had in mind when they criticized fiction and the novel. How did they define fiction and the novel? Sadly looking at Mrs. White out of her historic context we find ourselves shunning what she would have found acceptable and embrasing what she and the others were warning us about. One example of this; our spring week of prayer speaker once when I was in Academy (1974-77) was a literary professor at AUC. He told about a study where two stories would be read to a congragation at church followed by a discussion on these two readings. In church after church one story was consistantly loved and praised, the other was soundly condemmed with many members brining up Mrs. White quotes to tell why that story was wrong and many were upset that the one story was read on Sabbath. They felt that it was breaking the sabbath to read that story on the sabbath. Well, of the two stories, the one that was loved was a specific story that Mrs. White condemmed and the one that was hated came from her collection of stories "Sabbath Readings for the Home Circle." Quote
Woody Posted December 14, 2008 Posted December 14, 2008 Yes. EGW was just human. She made mistakes. This is why we need to compare all that she says to scripture. In with the good ... out with the bad. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Dr. Shane Posted December 14, 2008 Posted December 14, 2008 who is defining sin? I let the Bible do that and with that as my standard I have no problem saying, Watching most R-rated movies is sin - in the theater or at home. Many PG and PG-13 movies have objectionable scenes and plots that make them sinful. Some G-rated movies are sinful. A lot of secular music has sinful lyrics that we should not be listening to. We cannot mix the pure with the perverted and think it is OK. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Taylor Posted December 14, 2008 Posted December 14, 2008 Originally Posted By: CoAspen who is defining sin? I let the Bible do that and with that as my standard I have no problem saying, Watching most R-rated movies is sin - in the theater or at home. Many PG and PG-13 movies have objectionable scenes and plots that make them sinful. Some G-rated movies are sinful. A lot of secular music has sinful lyrics that we should not be listening to. We cannot mix the pure with the perverted and think it is OK. Agreed. Quote
Dr. Shane Posted December 14, 2008 Posted December 14, 2008 If we are walking in a saving relationship with Christ we are going to want to know how to please Him. That means identifying what sin is. Moreover, sin does spiritual harm to our relationship with Christ so if we want to prevent harm to our relationship we will want to know what sin is. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.