Stan Posted November 10, 2009 Author Posted November 10, 2009 Originally Posted By: Stan Jensen A reflection - and not responding to any particular post or person. I don't think Church Membership has much value if it did not cost you anything to get it. The church is not a country club. The church and it's membership is greatly DEvalued to me knowing that it sits in judgment of my fellow Christians and kicks out those it deems unworthy. I am ashamed. For some it cost family, friends, inheritance and more. Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
olger Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 All sin and fall short of the glory of God. In the eyes of the law ... we are ALL heathens. How ludicrous. What you are saying is we are all unbelievers. Matthew 18:17: "And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as a heathen man and a publican." rejoice in the Lord always, G Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Woody Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 Quote: For some it cost family, friends, inheritance and more. That is the nature of membership. When you put yourself up as being higher or more holy than another ... it does require a cost. But, this is the cost of having membership. And it is not needed. All sin and fall short of the glory of God. If we viewed our family, friends and members as equals ... the cost would not be so great. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
olger Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 And he has saved me despite my future sins. For I will sin till the day I die. But because I am In Him and seek His forgiveness ... I AM SAVED. The celebration of iniquity IS a heathen concept, so maybe... regards, G Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Woody Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 Quote: What you are saying is we are all unbelievers. If you truly believed ... you would not sin. So yes ... we are all unbelievers. There is no excuse for sin as EGW puts it. If we believed as we should ... there would be no sin in our lives. But, ALL sin and fall short of the glory of God. Praise God for His mercy , love and forgiveness. Even unto me ... a sinner. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
olger Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 Administering church discipline in one of the most sobering parts of what I do as a Pastor. I don't like it but it's necessary. It's Biblical and believe it or not, it is part of the work of salvation. "As many as I love I rebuke and chasten" Over the years the church has made mistakes in disciplining members but that doesn't mean that we should never discipline we just need to learn how to do it better. Appreciate this reasoned post, Laz. courage, G Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Woody Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 Originally Posted By: Redwood And he has saved me despite my future sins. For I will sin till the day I die. But because I am In Him and seek His forgiveness ... I AM SAVED. The celebration of iniquity IS a heathen concept, so maybe... regards, G Yes, I am a heathen saved by Grace. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Stan Posted November 10, 2009 Author Posted November 10, 2009 Quote: For some it cost family, friends, inheritance and more. That is the nature of membership. When you put yourself up as being higher or more holy than another ... it does require a cost. But, this is the cost of having membership. And it is not needed. All sin and fall short of the glory of God. If we viewed our family, friends and members as equals ... the cost would not be so great. That was rather judgemental of you, not all things are the easy street you have walked on. I suspect you inherited adventism, would that be correct? Quote If you receive benefit to being here please help out with expenses. https://www.paypal.me/clubadventist Administrator of a few websites like https://adventistdating.com
Lutz13 Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 Originally Posted By: Stan Jensen A reflection - and not responding to any particular post or person. I don't think Church Membership has much value if it did not cost you anything to get it. The church is not a country club. The church and it's membership is greatly DEvalued to me knowing that it sits in judgment of my fellow Christians and kicks out those it deems unworthy. I am ashamed. Yeah, I wouldn't cry if I was disfellowshiped. I go to church to fellowship with brothers and sisters. I do not care if my name is on some church membership book...That book isn't going to save me.... Quote
Woody Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 Quote: That was rather judgemental of you Perhaps you don't understand. It's the nature of membership. Membership requires that you set yourself up above others. You sit in judgment of your fellow members. Of course this would cause problems with those on the outside looking in. Why would anyone respect or want to become a member when this is the way members are treated? So ... naturally "For some it cost family, friends, inheritance and more." This is the cost of having membership as a church. It's not necessary though. BTW ... I don't really feel this topic is appropriate for Townhall. It should have been placed under What Seventh day Adventist believe ... IMHO Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Administrators Gail Posted November 10, 2009 Administrators Posted November 10, 2009 I'm having trouble with the assumption that two (especially elderly) people living together are having sex and thereby in sin. What if that is not the case, that they are only roommates? When I am old I think I would like to live in a place with other people, as students do. Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted November 10, 2009 Administrators Posted November 10, 2009 Beloved, now we are children of God... 1 John 3:2-10. Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God... 1 John 5:1-4 Apparently, John must not have known what he was talking about. This must be one of the parts of the Bible that isn't inspired. I guess we'll have to remove the book of 1 John from the Bible. Catherine, I am not clear why you sarcastically directed your comment at me. I was not addressing inspiration and the verses you quote do not address the issue of marriage that I was speaking to. Tom Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted November 10, 2009 Administrators Posted November 10, 2009 I'm having trouble with the assumption that two... elderly people...are having sex... I really shouldn't speed read since I miss essential words... :smilewink: But I thought this quick glance at you post might reflect a common but very much a mistaken assumption... Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
GreatLakesGramma Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 What made you think my post was directed at you if it has nothing to do with anything you said? The idea that we will continue to choose to sin after we have accepted Jesus as our Savior has been put forth repeatedly in this thread. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Woody Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 GLG ... I think that if you look back at your post ... you were responding to Tom's post. But then I too was confused as to what you were trying to prove. Quote May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Dr. Shane Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 A reflection - and not responding to any particular post or person. I don't think Church Membership has much value if it did not cost you anything to get it. That reminds me of something that is said in AA quite often. Often times we say "I paid a high price to sit in this chair". It is reference to all the pain liquor caused us and all the money we foolishly spent on booze and the lifestyle that went with it. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 By your logic linking civil and moral concepts of marriage God would have to recognize legalized gay marriage. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 I'm having trouble with the assumption that two (especially elderly) people living together are having sex and thereby in sin. What if that is not the case, that they are only roommates? I don't think we are talking about assumptions. We are talking about people who openly state that they would get married but don't because they would lose Social Security money. It is also not safe to assume that elderly people are not sexually active. The CDC reports a great concern about STDs among the elderly. AIDS is a big problem among the elderly. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Administrators Gail Posted November 10, 2009 Administrators Posted November 10, 2009 Quote: It is also not safe to assume that elderly people are not sexually active. The CDC reports a great concern about STDs among the elderly. AIDS is a big problem among the elderly. Is it safe to assume anything about anyone? How would you like it if someone assumed that about you and it wasn't the case, especially if it lead them to criticise you? Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
Dr. Shane Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 I was speaking generally. Senior citizens are sexually active. We know that because they come into hospitals and clinics with STDs. That doesn't mean every senior citizen is sexually active. Teenagers get STDs too but not all teenagers are sexually active. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Guest Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 BTW ... I don't really feel this topic is appropriate for Townhall. It should have been placed under What Seventh day Adventist believe ... IMHO I didn't know you had a humble opinion. Quote
GreatLakesGramma Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 GLG ... I think that if you look back at your post ... you were responding to Tom's post. But then I too was confused as to what you were trying to prove. I was not replying to Tom's post. I was replying to the thread itself. If you go directly to the quick reply box at the bottom of the thread, it will always add "re:[last poster before you replied]" to the bar at the top of your post. People shouldn't assume that someone is replying to them if what the poster says has nothing to do with anything they said, especially when it does have something to do with other ideas that are predominant throughout the thread. Quote Catherine God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." -- C. S. Lewis
Moderators Kevin H Posted November 10, 2009 Moderators Posted November 10, 2009 This is one of the ugly matters. I do know from time to time it needs to happen, and this is not about that. To often I have heard stories of what I consider spiritual abuse, and I do understand that membership is an honour, not a right. BUT why some folks are told how unworthy they are, scum etc etc is not needed. We are to treat them like heathens, and how do we do that? Same as we would others, by reaching out. I am not talking about folk who harm others, like sexual pedophiles etc, who we MUST block, but others. Surely folks can have their membership removed without alienating them forever. I'm sad to hear this. When I was at AUC, and I believe Andrews, but we were taught with disfellowshiping to emphessise that they are only doing things that affect their membership with the Seventh-day Adventist church and not necessarly their relationship with Jesus, to encourage them to hold on to Jesus and to offer to help them with either worshiping with us as a non-member or to help them find a denomination where they may feel more comfortable. I like what we were taugh to do and sad to hear that the other types of things are being done. Quote
Administrators Gail Posted November 10, 2009 Administrators Posted November 10, 2009 I like that approach, Kevin! Thanks for sharing that :) Quote Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
olger Posted November 10, 2009 Posted November 10, 2009 Quote: What you are saying is we are all unbelievers. If you truly believed ... you would not sin. So yes ... we are all unbelievers. There is no excuse for sin as EGW puts it. If we believed as we should ... there would be no sin in our lives. But, ALL sin and fall short of the glory of God. Praise God for His mercy , love and forgiveness. Even unto me ... a sinner. Interjecting your experience into the text in Matthew 18:17 fails utterly to acknowledge that Jesus drew a line of distinction between a heathen and the church. You are one or the other. One or the other, oG Quote "Please don't feed the drama queens.."
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.