Liz Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 (sorry to be a party pooper!) Nah, I don't think you are. But to each his own. I, for one, hope we do this again next year; unless, of course, the LORD comes back. For what will a man be profited, if he gains the whole world, and forfeits his soul? Mat. 16:26Please, support the JDRF and help find a cure for Type 1 Diabetes. Please, support the March of Dimes.
Neil D Posted February 2, 2009 Author Posted February 2, 2009 Originally Posted By: Redwood Yeah. This IS life. Let me remind you of what my pal' date=' Jack, says of sports (sorry to be a party pooper!) Using man as his tool, Satan has developed a kingdom (the Bible refers to it as “the kingdom of this world”) that is based entirely on the principle of self and which is in complete opposition and contradiction to the “kingdom of heaven.” Everything, therefore, that goes to make up this worldly system (kosmos) — nationalism, tribalism, politics, education, commerce, recreation, sports, social clubs, technology, etc. — is founded upon the principle of love of self, even though at times this principle may not be obvious. [/quote'] I would rather know somehting about sports and watch a few games and be able to bridge a gap between believer and non believer than to be totally lacking in any sports and not make any connection at all..... And that supercedes your quote, Robert.... And since you started this as a competion between religion and sports and to show your spiritual pride, I would tend to think that there is something amiss in your theology... Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Woody Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Neil D Posted February 2, 2009 Author Posted February 2, 2009 Well red its been great, but I've stay up past my bed time. Time you say good night all. Its been great. pk PK, when you get up tomorrow, I want you to know= this has been soooo much fun, having you here, and giving me some info as we watched the superbowl...I apppreciate it... Liz, twas good to get the Girl's Perspective on this...loved having you here... Redwood....sorry your time lost....I was really hoping that they would win.... And to anyone else who watched but couldn't click a few keys before something new came up....thanks for being here...really appreciated all the comments that we had.... Short of the Lord's coming...let's do this again... Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Woody Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
fccool Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 My father in law came over with food... and I did not even watched the game . Gardening's much more fun! It's ironic that my wise likes football more than I do.
Robert Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 I would tend to think that there is something amiss in your theology... What's the principle behind sports? Answer: Big, big money, fame, ...the love of self, me, me, me, I'm # one! My team is better than yours. Very egocentric. Who invented the principle of self? Not Christ, Lucifer. So Jack is right. And John is too: "For everything in the world--the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does--comes not from the Father but from the world." [1 John 2:16] Rob
Robert Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 Oh, in case I didn't "p" everyone off enough, let me quote my buddy again: In heaven, Lucifer, who became Satan, had rebelled against God and His government over the issue of agape love which, according to Paul, “seeketh not its own” [1 Cor. 13:5]. Satan insisted that such selfless love, that leaves no room for self, deprives one of happiness [isa. 14:12-14]. So, once Satan took over dominion of this earth, he used the human race to develop this world on the principle of self: politics, education, sports, commerce, etc.
Moderators Bravus Posted February 2, 2009 Moderators Posted February 2, 2009 Heh, when the thread started I just thought to myself, without saying anything 'I bet someone will be along soon to tell us all how sinful sport is, and we are for watching sport'. How I would love to have been wrong... Truth is important
Robert Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 My point? While I believe in Christian maturity and growth, I hope none of you fool yourselves that you are actually keeping the law. Where you have "self" you have sin and "yes", technically speaking, participation in sports is sin in the eyes of God, His law and heaven. There'll be no "ball" in heaven. teehe
Robert Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 Oh, and BTW, your prophet says the same: -BC- 8T -TI- Testimonies for the Church Volume Eight -CN- 2 -CT- Counsels Often Repeated -PR- 01 -PG- 52 I was told by my Guide: "Look ye, and behold the idolatry of My people, to whom I have been speaking, rising up early, and presenting to them their dangers. I looked that they should bring forth fruit." There were some who were striving for the mastery, each trying to excel the other in the swift running of their bicycles. [i.e., they were trying to be # 1] There was a spirit of strife and contention [the fruit of competition] among them as to which should be the greatest. The spirit was similar to that manifested in the baseball games on the college ground. Said my Guide: "These things are an offense to God." I think it's funny to watch folks squirm as they try to justify their favorite sins.
True-believer Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 Wow, Did you know that for the first time ever that their is an Australian playing in the Superbowl--I forgot his name, but it's his very first time in that American Sport. It's the first time that America has allowed another person from another country to play their sport. Well this Australian player will proof to be better than the Americans. Why??? Because Australia is just naturally a better country than America. And our men play football without all the heavy gear on them weighing them down, which makes our Australian men faster and fitter and more skiller than the Americans with all that extra gear on them weighing them down. Luke 4:19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
True-believer Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 To Robert, Do you really think they will be no ball game in heaven. I think there will be... Our God is a God of fun and He is better at sport than all of us. They will be sport -----heavenly sport in heaven. Luke 4:19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Moderators Bravus Posted February 2, 2009 Moderators Posted February 2, 2009 (just quietly, Luke, ex-Aussie Rules players have been playing as kickers in the NFL for at least a decade if not more... but I think I can support most of the rest of your points. ) Not sure whether the Aussie was on the winning side or not... Truth is important
Moderators Bravus Posted February 2, 2009 Moderators Posted February 2, 2009 Heh, more like 3 decades as a regular thing, but the first guy to go from Aussie Rules to American football did it in the... 1890s! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Players_who...erican_football Truth is important
Neil D Posted February 2, 2009 Author Posted February 2, 2009 I was told by my Guide: "Look ye, and behold the idolatry of My people, to whom I have been speaking, rising up early, and presenting to them their dangers. I looked that they should bring forth fruit." There were some who were striving for the mastery, each trying to excel the other in the swift running of their bicycles. [i.e., they were trying to be # 1] There was a spirit of strife and contention [the fruit of competition] among them as to which should be the greatest. The spirit was similar to that manifested in the baseball games on the college ground. Said my Guide: "These things are an offense to God." I think it's funny to watch folks squirm as they try to justify their favorite sins. While I read the above, I percieve that you are being rude, spiritually superior, and remarkably like a pharasee "I thank thee Lord that I am not like this man, a publican." I would conclude that there IS "some idolatry among My People', "each trying to excell the other", showing a "spirit of strife and contention".... After all, that IS your motive....making people "squirm as they try to justify their favorite sins"..... Isn't that the lowest level of base "christianity"? Robert, are you having problems taking that wooden plank out of your eye? Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. George Bernard Shaw
Taylor Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 To Robert,Do you really think they will be no ball game in heaven. I think there will be... Our God is a God of fun and He is better at sport than all of us. They will be sport -----heavenly sport in heaven. I am sure there will be a lot of fun things to do in heaven, so don't worry whether it includes ball games o not...it will be far more awesome than any game here on this earth, regardless whether it includes a ball or not. So no worries Luke, heaven is going to be a blast!!!
Woody Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 Oh, and BTW, your prophet says the same: -BC- 8T -TI- Testimonies for the Church Volume Eight -CN- 2 -CT- Counsels Often Repeated -PR- 01 -PG- 52 I was told by my Guide: "Look ye, and behold the idolatry of My people, to whom I have been speaking, rising up early, and presenting to them their dangers. I looked that they should bring forth fruit." There were some who were striving for the mastery, each trying to excel the other in the swift running of their bicycles. [i.e., they were trying to be # 1] There was a spirit of strife and contention [the fruit of competition] among them as to which should be the greatest. The spirit was similar to that manifested in the baseball games on the college ground. Said my Guide: "These things are an offense to God." I think it's funny to watch folks squirm as they try to justify their favorite sins. Okay. I will accept your condemnation in that according to Jack and Ellen ... what we did was sin. I can appreciate that that may be their opinion. I happen to disagree. So, we are at a standstill. Now to those who hold either of those people up to the same standards as the Bible ... then they may have to face more condemnation than I do. As for me and mine ... we will hold to the Bible and the Bible only. May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Woody Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 Originally Posted By: Luke Adam Goss To Robert,Do you really think they will be no ball game in heaven. I think there will be... Our God is a God of fun and He is better at sport than all of us. They will be sport -----heavenly sport in heaven. I am sure there will be a lot of fun things to do in heaven, so don't worry whether it includes ball games o not...it will be far more awesome than any game here on this earth, regardless whether it includes a ball or not. So no worries Luke, heaven is going to be a blast!!! Cool May we be one so that the world may be won. Christian from the cradle to the grave I believe in Hematology.
Taylor Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 I just think we do a diservice to our kids when we say that we will only be "sitting on clouds playing a harp". Thankfully there will be much more to do than just "relaxing" or "playing music". I think heaven will be the most incredibly fun place to be, far greater than anything we could ever imagine. But the best part of it will be to be unconditionally accepted and loved by everyone....no need to every worry, or be unsafe, or stressed, or overworked, or wondering about the recession or jobs or anything of the sort. But we certainly won't be bored.
Members phkrause Posted February 2, 2009 Members Posted February 2, 2009 Neil thanks, yes to next year, your on. It has been fun, trying to keep up with all the posts. But by next year that TV you order should be in! Right?? pk phkrause When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan. Proverbs 29;2
Robert Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 To Robert, Do you really think they will be no ball game in heaven. I think there will be.. The simple matter is "iniquity" will not rise a 2nd time. Iniquity, again (I don't think folks can read) is simply our "bent-to-self". It's the opposite of "agape" a love THAT IS NOT self-seeking. Football is about winning - it's about being number one - it's about glory for the team or the important player as in I'm the man! It's also a brutal sport. There will be nothing - absolutely nothing in heaven that even remotely appears to be born of "I-ism, ego, selfishness, self-importance and self-love." Then who will be the greatest in heaven? Mark 10:44 "Whoever wants to be first [let him pick his favorite football team and bask in the limelight! No, ] must be slave of all. Yes, in this world under it's leader, the greatest is the one who wins that football game...the greatest is the one with that PhD...the greatest is that good looking babe. So in this world self-importance is everything. But heaven is out of harmony with all this. Hence "the greatest" in heaven's eyes is the one who lives to serve - who is not self-seeking - who isn't out for self-glory and self-worship. I can't believe you SDA are so out of touch of what the law requires? Oh yeah, I forgot, you only look at the "letter of the law" and brag about keeping that.... Rob
Robert Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 Okay. I will accept your condemnation in that according to Jack and Ellen ... what we did was sin. ... I happen to disagree. What have I said from day one? Why are you thinking like a legalist? I'm shocked!!!! Here's what I stated a few posts ago: I hope none of you fool yourselves that you are actually keeping the law. Where you have "self" you have sin and "yes", technically speaking, participation in sports is sin in the eyes of God, His law and heaven. There'll be no "ball" in heaven. If you were under law your ball-fest would condemn you. In fact you wouldn't even have to go that far, just being born will do the trick! I have always maintained that we are not under law (right?), but I don't appreciate liberal SDA watering down the law when it comes to their favorite sins. I mean are you a sinner or not? Are you falling short or not? Rob
Robert Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 I just think we do a diservice to our kids when we say that we will only be "sitting on clouds playing a harp". That's so one dimensional thinking...."Eye hath not seen nor ear heard...." You won't have anything that remotely resembles "self-centeredness or pride" in heaven. If you do it will become hell. That's why Lucifer and his invention of self-love wasn't allowed to remain.
Robert Posted February 2, 2009 Posted February 2, 2009 While I read the above, I percieve that you are being rude, spiritually superior, and remarkably like a pharasee "I thank thee Lord that I am not like this man, a publican." Quite wrong! It's ironic, evangelical SDA say "we are sinners", but when sin is pointed out all of a sudden they "ain't" sinners. It's funny that way, huh? Sounds like you, not me, are the one being self-righteous. I'm not telling you to stop watching football. I'm not even condemning you. I'm merely pointing out that such games are part of Lucifer's system of "self" according to the law of agape. That's all....It was really intended to jar the legalists among CA, but now I think self-righteousness may not belong to only Traditional SDA? Rob
Recommended Posts