Renewed_faith Posted July 30, 2010 Posted July 30, 2010 Sorry, just got home from work and right now I'm having random thoughts. Quote
Outta Here Posted July 30, 2010 Posted July 30, 2010 Originally Posted By: Aubrey Wow. When that happened to you, Renewed_faith, what did you do? Did you let them go hungry, or did you find a way--even if it meant digging into your own pockets--to feed those children? I dug into my pocket which only had change, took them to the nearest place that offered food and purchased what they wanted. I only had a few dollars and it took all of what I had that day. Good. That is exactly what I'd hoped you'd answer. It is the right thing to do, in my opinion. It means that for that day, one group of hungry people in America did not have to go hungry. It means that regardless of circumstances, abilities, and social status; regardless of any cultural differences, religious differences and/or language barriers--someone cared enough to make a difference in their lives. I thank you. Quote
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted July 30, 2010 Author Members Posted July 30, 2010 Querer es poder. Originally Posted By: rudywoofs Take it to your Spanish Forum, Shane. I'm not going to bite. Originally Posted By: shane Wow! Quite the display of intolerance. "Querer es poder" is a commonly known Spanish expression like "Que sera sera" or "Hasta la vista". Translated into English it means "Where there is a will, there is a way" - "Querer es poder" You were asked by several people, quite politely, to stop writing in spanish in this thread because most people would not understand it. That's hardly a display of intolerance. You are the one being extremely rude in persisting to write in spanish. Not only rude, but you are intentionally fomenting negative reactions to your posts. Having fun, are you? Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Moderators lazarus Posted July 30, 2010 Moderators Posted July 30, 2010 You were asked by several people, quite politely, to stop writing in spanish in this thread because most people would not understand it. That's hardly a display of intolerance. You are the one being extremely rude in persisting to write in spanish. Not only rude, but you are intentionally fomenting negative reactions to your posts. Having fun, are you? I think Shane is just trying to help English speakers get used to the new America. I think the shift that is taking place is exiting. Change is painful and aggravating but pretty soon after the change has arrived we say to ourselves "what was all the fuss about". Quote Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Einstein
Dr. Shane Posted July 30, 2010 Posted July 30, 2010 Taken out of context... Here is the post in its entirety. The post in its entirety does not change the context. I stand vindicated. [Elvis voice] Thank you, thank you very much. Elvis has left the building. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted July 30, 2010 Posted July 30, 2010 If the Swahili wasn't doing anything illegal then he/she has nothing to worry about and won't be arrested. So that whole presumption of innocence thing is no big deal? Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted July 30, 2010 Posted July 30, 2010 I think Shane is just trying to help English speakers get used to the new America. I have never understood why people speaking in another language are accused of being rude by those that cannot understand them. Of course it would be rude to speak to someone in a language they cannot understand. But if I am not speaking to them, why should they care what language I am speaking? America is one of the few places in the world where most people speak only one language. But that is changing. If there is one thing we can count on it is change. Get on board or get left behind. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
bonnie Posted July 30, 2010 Posted July 30, 2010 America is one of the few places in the world where most people speak only one language. But that is changing. If there is one thing we can count on it is change. Get on board or get left behind. Somehow learning spanish because you say so will rate pretty low on the scale of importance. The "new america" you claim is coming does not fit the description. Language barrier is not going to be the deciding factor. Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Moderators Bravus Posted July 30, 2010 Moderators Posted July 30, 2010 It's 2015. All Seventh-day Adventists are required to carry identification papers everywhere with them, and produce them on demand. Buying vegetarian food products, or being dressed up on a Saturday, is enough evidence to get anyone pulled over by an officer and their papers checked. Quote Truth is important
bonnie Posted July 30, 2010 Posted July 30, 2010 It's 2015. All Seventh-day Adventists are required to carry identification papers everywhere with them, and produce them on demand. Buying vegetarian food products, or being dressed up on a Saturday, is enough evidence to get anyone pulled over by an officer and their papers checked. I hope you are not of the opinion that this is some kind of a surprise? Whether it will be 2015 ,earlier or later it will come. I am already required to carry identification. Proof of ownership of my car and insurance with my name on it. I had a experience at 3;00 am without any identification for speeding.I spent a very uncomfortable 30 minutes trying to explain to the officer why I should not be taken in. Do you know that illegal immigrants will be pulled over for similar superficial circumstances? Personally I think they should open the borders and quit the ridiculous pretense. We should be prepared to feed,clothe and educate all those that demand it.Simply by refusing to learn english it is pretty much a given that they will be on welfare for life. Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted July 31, 2010 Author Members Posted July 31, 2010 Of course it would be rude to speak to someone in a language they cannot understand. And that's what you were doing on this thread. Originally Posted By: BravusNostradamus It's 2015. All Seventh-day Adventists are required to carry identification papers everywhere with them, and produce them on demand. Buying vegetarian food products, or being dressed up on a Saturday, is enough evidence to get anyone pulled over by an officer and their papers checked. I carry ID with me at all times. I can get along without vegetarian food products. Dressing up for Sabbath has gone by the wayside a long time ago for a lot of people How did we get on *this* subject? Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
bonnie Posted July 31, 2010 Posted July 31, 2010 Originally Posted By: BravusNostradamus It's 2015. All Seventh-day Adventists are required to carry identification papers everywhere with them, and produce them on demand. Buying vegetarian food products, or being dressed up on a Saturday, is enough evidence to get anyone pulled over by an officer and their papers checked. I carry ID with me at all times. I can get along without vegetarian food products. Dressing up for Sabbath has gone by the wayside a long time ago for a lot of people How did we get on *this* subject? I think it was meant that someday SDA's will be asked for ID so that means no SDA should want illegal immigrants to be asked for it now. Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
SivartM Posted July 31, 2010 Posted July 31, 2010 Back to the topic, yesterday I called tech support, and today I called the number to activate my (very first!) debit card, and both times I was given the option to press 1 for Spanish, but I really didn't mind a few extra seconds' wait. Some people just like to hear their native language no matter where they are. I'm sure that even if I moved to Germany and learned German I'd still want to press 3 for English whenever I had the chance. Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted July 31, 2010 Author Members Posted July 31, 2010 Back to the topic, yesterday I called tech support, and today I called the number to activate my (very first!) debit card, and both times I was given the option to press 1 for Spanish, but I really didn't mind a few extra seconds' wait. Some people just like to hear their native language no matter where they are. I'm sure that even if I moved to Germany and learned German I'd still want to press 3 for English whenever I had the chance. If I was in Germany, I would expect to hear German...not be given a choice between German and English. btw, congrats on getting your new debit card! Was it a Visa? Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
SivartM Posted July 31, 2010 Posted July 31, 2010 I'm not saying I would demand English, but I would be happy to hear it. Thanks! No, it's a Mastercard. It's a student debit card, so my parents can know when I purchase $100 worth of Cheezits. Quote "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde�Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." - Jesus
Dr. Shane Posted July 31, 2010 Posted July 31, 2010 Originally Posted By: Shane Of course it would be rude to speak to someone in a language they cannot understand. And that's what you were doing on this thread. If one goes back in this thread they will discover that Renewed_Faith is the one that started posting in Spanish and I was responding to her. Check it out and I will be vindicated. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted July 31, 2010 Author Members Posted July 31, 2010 I'm not saying I would demand English, but I would be happy to hear it. Thanks! No, it's a Mastercard. It's a student debit card, so my parents can know when I purchase $100 worth of Cheezits. You know what, Sivart? When I went to school in Austria and HAD to speak German, it was the most astonishingly exhilarating experience to come back to the United States and hear English spoken with no foreign accents. It made me understand how important my country and my culture are to me. I would expect no different reaction from a hispanic who was gone from his/her country for a long time where it was necessary to speak in a different language and then went home. You never fully value something until you don't have it anymore. Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Administrators Tom Wetmore Posted July 31, 2010 Administrators Posted July 31, 2010 Originally Posted By: Shane Of course it would be rude to speak to someone in a language they cannot understand. And that's what you were doing on this thread. And so were you, on the very first page of this topic. And just as Shane was doing, you were responding to something olger posted in German. Originally Posted By: rudywoofs von Seminar Schloss Bogenhofen? Ja, ich kenne ihn, doch nur email. Why would it be rude to use Spanish with another Spanish speaking person but not for you to use German with another German speaker? Quote "Absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good." "Sinless perfection is such a shallow goal." "I love God only as much as the person I love the least." *Forgiveness is always good news. And that is the gospel truth. (And finally, the ideas expressed above are solely my person views and not that of any organization with which I am associated.)
Members rudywoofs (Pam) Posted July 31, 2010 Author Members Posted July 31, 2010 the feets got mixed up with the Manhattan... Quote Pam Meddle Not In the Affairs of Dragons; for You Are Crunchy and Taste Good with Ketchup. If we all sang the same note in the choir, there'd never be any harmony. Funny, isn't it, how we accept Grace for ourselves and demand justice for others?
Dr. Shane Posted July 31, 2010 Posted July 31, 2010 Of course there is a big difference between Austria and America. America is a nation of immigrants. We have been from our very beginning. In fact, while the Constitution of the United States prohibited future immigrants from becoming President, it allowed immigrants at the time to become President themselves. Alexander Hamilton was one of the authors of the federalist papers, which convinced many to support the ratification of the Constitution. He was an immigrant himself. Not only are we a nation of immigrants, we are a nation of freedom. There is a reason our republic is 235 years old and has never had an official language. From the hills of Tennessee to the shores of California, from the frigid waters of the Puget Sound to citrus groves of Florida, from the lakes of Minnesota to the barrios of New York, from the mountains of Montana to the Texas plains, any American can speak any language they want to speak. They can work in any line of work they want to work. They can go to any church where they want to go. Let freedom ring. Let it ring from shore to shore. Let freedom ring. Let it ring from north to south. Let freedom ring. Let it ring on Alaska's frozen tundra. Let freedom ring. Let it ring in Honolulu's tourist district. Let it ring load. Let it ring clear. Let it ring in Spanish. Let it ring in German. Let it ring in Filipino. Let it ring in Chinese. Let it ring in French. Let it ring in Cherokee. Let it ring until Jesus comes. Let it never be said that God's Seventh-day Adventist people tried to stop freedom from ringing. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
bonnie Posted July 31, 2010 Posted July 31, 2010 Quote: any American can speak any language they want to speak. They can work in any line of work they want to work No they cannot.Only if qualified for the job and often that job requires english. It is their job to learn it if they want the job.They do not have an automatic RIGHT to any job they want or a translator to follow them around Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
DeeAnna Posted July 31, 2010 Posted July 31, 2010 Re: Everyone will speak Spanish in heaven ??? I am believing that more and more. We are certainly being groomed for it here on earth, if that is any indication ! We are being taught Spanish vocabulary on every product we buy, go in a Lowe's store and it's practically a Spanish class with all the spanish signs ....everything is written in Spanish now, almost to the point you have to search for the English words to know what you're buying or read the instruction manuals. Someone is sure pushing for Spanish to be THE language of us all, so it sure wouldn't surprise me to see " Entrada" written on the pearly gates ! Before you attack me for this -- know that my grandfather was Cuban and I have no malice towards Spanish speakers, it's just that I feel strongly that if you are wanting to be in America and take part in all it has to offer, you should be expected to learn the language -- we should not have to learn Spanish for them just because they are here. Would they do all this in English if a bunch of us decided to go to their country ?? LOL. I think not. Quote
Dr. Shane Posted July 31, 2010 Posted July 31, 2010 No they cannot. Only if qualified for the job and often that job requires english... They do not have an automatic RIGHT... This is correct. Americans can speak any language they want... but they do have know the language first. I may want to speak Korean but if I don't know the language, I can want all I want but it isn't going to happen. I may want to fly airplanes too, but if I never learned how, it isn't going to happen. However, the point is that our government isn't going to tell me I have to fly airplanes or that I have to speak Korean. I have the freedom to decide. Let freedom ring. Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
Dr. Shane Posted July 31, 2010 Posted July 31, 2010 go in a Lowe's store and it's practically a Spanish class with all the spanish signs Quote Pastoral Family Counselor... Find me at www.PostumCafe.com Author of Peculiar Christianity
bonnie Posted July 31, 2010 Posted July 31, 2010 Originally Posted By: bonnie No they cannot. Only if qualified for the job and often that job requires english... They do not have an automatic RIGHT... This is correct. Americans can speak any language they want... but they do have know the language first. I may want to speak Korean but if I don't know the language, I can want all I want but it isn't going to happen. I may want to fly airplanes too, but if I never learned how, it isn't going to happen. However, the point is that our government isn't going to tell me I have to fly airplanes or that I have to speak Korean. I have the freedom to decide. Let freedom ring. Freedom has a price tag.Yes,you would have the freedom to learn english but I am denied my freedom when you say"No,I don't want to,now you can take care of my family and me for however long it takes to change my mind" You do not have the freedom to speak any language you choose where english is spoken. People like you or with your mentality would approach my husband for a job.At least that is what he thought they were saying.If they didn't understand and speak english,no job English was mandatory for any employee.They could be required to deal with the homeowner in my husband's absence,run errands etc.For that they needed to be able to read and understand street signs. Contrary to what you claim a steel worker doing anything except the most menial jobs would need to speak english, When you are 3-4 stories up on a beam you are not going to wait for the translator to get to you before contacting those below Quote Everything you do is based on the choices you make. It's not your parents, your past relationships, your job, the economy, the weather, an argument, or your age that is to blame. You and only you are responsible for every decision and choice you make, period ... ... Wish more people would realize this. Quotes by Susan Gottesman
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.